Procase 500W PSU and a Club3D ATI 5850

Chrlspln

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Hey People,

I have just aquired a Club3D 5850 at a very reasonable price -considering these(5850's)are still pretty hard to come by. Everytime the machine boots up it just freezes on the XP screen or BS'sOD my ass when the cursor is supposed to appear on Win 7 Ultimate (x86).

Now...I have a sneaky suspicion it's the 2x4pin to 6pin converter that's a little dodgy. (Only 5 of the 6 pins actually have metal casings in them. The middle top pin is empty.) I'm not very "well-versed" when it comes to "new-generation" graphics cards, so please just excuse my ignorance -should this be the problem. :ange:

I have the following setup and would like to know whether it could be the PSU that just isn't strong enough to deal with this card -although according to all/most of the forums I've stalked 500W's SHOULD do the trick.

Q8400
3x2gb DDR2 800mhz RAM
ECS P45T-A m/b
LG Lightscribe DVD-writer
Club3D 5850
Procase 500W PSU
2x250GB SATA2 hdd's
USB KB
USB Mouse
Logitech Controller (I add in all the usb devices that are dependant on the PSU.)

I haven't had time to get rid of my previous card's drivers -I put it up for sale and it sold before I had a chance to get my hands on the 5850. (Was a Nvidia GTS250 512mb.)

So! This is my EXTREMELY frustrating story. :fou: I'm going to haul my butt off to the store tomorrow to get another 2x4-6pin converter :pfff: to see if that will solve my problem, but I still thought I should just throw this out here and see if anyone else has come across something like this and what they did about it. :heink:

500W is the bare minimum for a 5850, have you tryed unpluging a few fans or anything you dnt need, just to see if it boots.

I've never heard of Procase before, are they a quality brand? Does the PSU have enough amperage to support your setup?

Chrlspln

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Thanks people! Appreciate the info!
Went out and bought a 650W psu only to have Win 7 & XP deny me with various BS'sOD! However, after a fresh Win 7 install all driver issues were resolved...so....
All is well with the world again -and this time there's a 5850 in it too...NYSSSSSSS.

Cheers!

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

According to the spec requirments in my Sapphire 5850 box the 550w minimum is stated. I asked the technician at the pc store and they said that number does allow for a bit allowance as it supposed one will have at least a mid range cpu, motherboard, one HDD, ram, and a dvd drive.

In my setup however I am using a Coolmaster Real power SLI, which is an 80plus power supply. My GPU works well and I have two HDD's, a gigabyte cpu cooler, and a ram cooler so unless your PSU is 80plus or has a natural 2X6pin connector then it should be ok. If not, then buy a 550-600watt psu rated 80plus bronze or silver at the very least.