Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Is there any way to run a DOS program in a DOS mode in WIN XP?//
Thanks, CMA

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Open a simulated DOS box. Start > Run > cmd and you'll get a command prompt.
Start > Run > command will also work.

"CMAR" <vrv7j@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to run a DOS program in a DOS mode in WIN XP?//
> Thanks, CMA

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks, Jerry. This almost works. But my old DOS program used to be on E: on
another computer, and it still thinks that is is on E:, though my WIN XP
computer has only a C: drive. So in the WIN XP VDS, I get error:

"Not ready reading Drive E:"

Is there any way that I can tell the WIN XP Virtual DOS Machine that it is
now on drive E: or alternatively tell the DOS program that it is now on
drive C:?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

hanks, Jerry. This almost works. But my old DOS program used to be on E: on
another computer, and it still thinks that is is on E:, though my WIN XP
computer has only a C: drive. So in the WIN XP VDS, I get error:

"Not ready reading Drive E:"

Is there any way that I can tell the WIN XP Virtual DOS Machine that it is
now on drive E: or alternatively tell the DOS program that it is now on
drive C:?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Open the command window.

subst e: c:\program_path

then change to "drive" e: and run your program.

Val
--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com

hanks, Jerry. This almost works. But my old DOS program used to be on E: on
another computer, and it still thinks that is is on E:, though my WIN XP
computer has only a C: drive. So in the WIN XP VDS, I get error:

"Not ready reading Drive E:"

Is there any way that I can tell the WIN XP Virtual DOS Machine that it is
now on drive E: or alternatively tell the DOS program that it is now on
drive C:?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Perhaps you are starting the program from a batch file that points to drive
E: ? If so, edit that batch file to drive C:

--

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

> Thanks, Jerry. This almost works. But my old DOS program used to be on E:
> on another computer, and it still thinks that is is on E:, though my WIN
> XP computer has only a C: drive. So in the WIN XP VDS, I get error:
>
> "Not ready reading Drive E:"
>
> Is there any way that I can tell the WIN XP Virtual DOS Machine that it is
> now on drive E: or alternatively tell the DOS program that it is now on
> drive C:?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Val, when I tried this, I got an error message:
Invalid parameter - E:

"VManes" <vmanes@N0SP&Mrap.midco.net> wrote in message
> Open the command window.
>
> subst e: c:\program_path
>
> then change to "drive" e: and run your program.
>
> Val
> --
> Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
> www.beadwizard.com
> ***************************
> Practice safe eating -- always use condiments.
> ***************************
>
> "CMAR" <vrv7j@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> hanks, Jerry. This almost works. But my old DOS program used to be on E:
> on
> another computer, and it still thinks that is is on E:, though my WIN XP
> computer has only a C: drive. So in the WIN XP VDS, I get error:
>
> "Not ready reading Drive E:"
>
> Is there any way that I can tell the WIN XP Virtual DOS Machine that it is
> now on drive E: or alternatively tell the DOS program that it is now on
> drive C:?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Darrell, this is an interesting idea. I get this misbehavior just by typing
in the VDM window the MS-DOS executable file name; there is no batch file
involved that I can find.
Perhaps there is a .pif file somwhere on the HD doing this? Where would
that be?
Thanks, CMA

"Darrell S" <dumbwid@fox.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps you are starting the program from a batch file that points to
> drive E: ? If so, edit that batch file to drive C:
>
> --
>
> Darrell R. Schmidt
> B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
> -
>
> "CMAR" <vrv7j@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Jerry. This almost works. But my old DOS program used to be on E:
>> on another computer, and it still thinks that is is on E:, though my WIN
>> XP computer has only a C: drive. So in the WIN XP VDS, I get error:
>>
>> "Not ready reading Drive E:"
>>
>> Is there any way that I can tell the WIN XP Virtual DOS Machine that it
>> is now on drive E: or alternatively tell the DOS program that it is now
>> on drive C:?

if you do a repair boot from cd rom. after mthe setup
files go by it will boot in dos the type help choose map
drive nand lable your drives any letter you want. if you
have removable drives give them letters further up abc's
use C,D,E for fixed drives and f, g, w, s, x, ext. for
removable drives or letters will change when removing
drives ..,..Aloha

Using Windows Search, type in the filename you use to run the program. Make
sure you search your entire computor. Perhaps you can open it and edit it
to show the correct path.

--

> Darrell, this is an interesting idea. I get this misbehavior just by
> typing in the VDM window the MS-DOS executable file name; there is no
> batch file involved that I can find.
> Perhaps there is a .pif file somwhere on the HD doing this? Where would
> that be?
> Thanks, CMA
>

> "Darrell S" <dumbwid@fox.com> wrote in message
>> Perhaps you are starting the program from a batch file that points to
>> drive E: ? If so, edit that batch file to drive C:
>>
>> --
>>
>> Darrell R. Schmidt
>> B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
>> -
>>
>> "CMAR" <vrv7j@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks, Jerry. This almost works. But my old DOS program used to be on
>>> E: on another computer, and it still thinks that is is on E:, though my
>>> WIN XP computer has only a C: drive. So in the WIN XP VDS, I get error:
>>>
>>> "Not ready reading Drive E:"
>>>
>>> Is there any way that I can tell the WIN XP Virtual DOS Machine that it
>>> is now on drive E: or alternatively tell the DOS program that it is now
>>> on drive C:?

I have on program, where in a DOS window I type "xyz.exe" and it thinks it
is still on Drive E: so I get error message:
"Not ready reading Drive E:"

How do I tell Windows that the file is no longer on E: but is on C: ?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Before running the subst command in the command window, make sure you don't
already have a device assigned to that drive letter (very common on machines
these days with two optical drives). Check with windows explorer. If so,
move that device to another drive letter by using the drive manager. You
also must make sure that you type the command correctly. It is subst E:
c:\full_path. Full_path is the exact location where the program is located
(this assumes that the program resides on drive C: and is not stored in the
root directory but in a file folder.