Sign in with
Your question
Solved

EVGA GTX 470 Overclocking help

Last response: in Overclocking
July 20, 2012 7:40:02 AM

Hello guys!

I recently decided i want to overclock my video card ( GTX 470 ) and i chose to do so with EVGA Percision X program. I also used MSI afterburner to see temps.

The setting i set it to.

Stock Fan
GPU Clock: 725
Mem Clock: 1725
Voltage: 988

To test stability i ran OCCT for about 5minutes and got 0 errors.

When running any game i stand at about 65 C, but when i streamed and played Dota 2, a relatively new game i get a rainbow screen and my whole Vcard crashes. I was wondering if my overclock was done poorly since this is my first time doing one. Even though the card was running about 68C it still crashed! On another website when i did my initial research people got their clocks way higher then mine.
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 20, 2012 7:43:47 AM

It takes more than 5 minutes to test for stability!

After an hour you should be good to go ;) 
m
l
July 20, 2012 7:44:25 AM

amuffin said:
It takes more than 5 minutes to test for stability!

After an hour you should be good to go ;) 

Do you think my clocks and or voltage are too high for this card on a stock fan?

Also doesn't maxing out your card and making it hit 80C for an hour with a benchmark program effect its lifetime and health? sorry if this seems dumb!
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2012 12:49:37 PM

I would guess the clock speed is too high and/or your voltage is too low.

If you are worried about the life of your card, you should lower the clock speed a little. (rather than increase voltage to stabilize the current clock speed.)

When you test your card, keep an eye on the temps. If it gets so hot that you think it will shorten its life span, you should take steps to make it run cooler. You could change the fan profile, lower the clock speed, lower the voltage, or all of the above.

I would also keep the memory at stock speed to help keep things stable.
July 20, 2012 7:48:19 PM

Z1NONLY said:
I would guess the clock speed is too high and/or your voltage is too low.

If you are worried about the life of your card, you should lower the clock speed a little. (rather than increase voltage to stabilize the current clock speed.)

When you test your card, keep an eye on the temps. If it gets so hot that you think it will shorten its life span, you should take steps to make it run cooler. You could change the fan profile, lower the clock speed, lower the voltage, or all of the above.

I would also keep the memory at stock speed to help keep things stable.

well i guess the real question is then, is 80C while bench marking unhealthy?
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 20, 2012 9:52:16 PM

No, not really. The GTX 470/480 run very hot.
m
l
July 20, 2012 10:40:49 PM

Best answer selected by apinkpwny.
m
l
!