Corsair DDR3 1600 Auto to 1.5v should I change that?

MichaelLabib

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Hi,

I have 2 x 2 GB Corsiar DDR3 bus 1600 RAM. I'm overlocking my X4 965 to 3.74Ghz stable, I can't go any further without a crash. Anyway, the RAM bus was 1333 and after OC it went to 14xx. I saw the voltage and it was Auto then in Windows, thorugh Hardware monitors, RAM is 1.5v

Should I change that? mo bo is MSI 890FXA-GD70

I'd like to add that this new machine give me rough week, when I increased the FBS/RAM ration the machine didn't boot and I did every possible thing to boot but failed. Then it seems that I didn't properly installed my VGA card, and might moved it while clearing the CMOS thourgh the jumper.

Please I don't want have to go back to the store, it's like 40 km away from me and it was really a nightmare. If you have a peaceful solution let me know :bounce:
For example, if I increased the voltage of RAMs to 1.9 (I guess it's within limits) I might not get the crash I get on OC CPU to 4.0Ghz????? and in the same way I will have my bus 1600I guess????

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

ALL DDR3 desktop RAM defaults to 1.50V because that's the JEDEC standard. Perhaps a BIOS update will allow some to default to 1.3V for low-voltage RAM, but the original standard is 1.50V.

The actual default voltage of "1.50V" tends to be closer to 1.55V, due to sloppy programing on ONE manufacturer's modules where people were blaming the motherboard for "incompatibility". It was a popular memory brand, and few of its customers would believe the problem was with the RAM rather than the motherboard.

At any rate, most "performance" modules use higher voltage to remain stable at higher speeds or tighter timings. Two methods to simplify manual settings, EPP 2 and XMP, still require the user to enter BIOS and pick an XMP or EPP profile.

Most Corsair RAM is rated at a higher voltage, if you know the correct voltage you should use it. Otherwise, I've never seen 1.50V RAM damaged by 1.65V, so it wouldn't hurt to increase your voltage to stabilize it at the higher speed.

MichaelLabib

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Thanks guys,

I tried to have astable OC by increasing the RAM v to 1.65v and even CPU to 1.399, the white area in the mo bo BIOS. Anyway, still I can't get it over 3.714Ghz. I modified the RAM timings to 8-8-8-24, but I'm not gonna modify the bus from 1333 to 1600. I had few bad days, it was nightmare, trying to boot again.
I think the voltage is OK? any comments about the instability of the OC?