ciscocbee

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
OK, here's what I did, dummy that i am:

Had 1 1T secondary drive on my win 7 machine, partitioned into 300 gb linux (1st part) and 700 gb NTSF storage (2nd part). I had an old solaris drive that had failed but still (sorta) worked and I had some data I wanted to try to recover, so (in case the drive catastrophically failed) I figured I'd delete the 300 gb linux partition (mini partition wizard) and copy over with the 40 gb solaris partition. Since the 40 gb solaris was smaller, I had a choice of where to put it and I foolishly choose to snuggle it next to the NTSF partition.

So Mini tools starts chuggin' away, and when it is done my there is no solaris partition, just two "unallocated" partitions, 300 and 700 gb. The weird thing was I could access almost all of the data (on directory was not accessible), view movies, etc. on the 700 gb NTFS partition. Checkdsk says it is in RAW format and cannot check. Minitools could not recover the partition and testdisk said that there is a solaris partition that is OVERLAPPING with the NTFS but it couldn't do anything about it.

So, I figured I'd just wait until after work, grab another disk and copy everything to it, reformat the entire 1T drive, and done. However, I forgot to turn off auto updates (win 7) and I got home last night and the computer had rebooted and now I cannot see the drive at all. Any ideas?

ciscocbee

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, tried that already. It analyzes the disk, but when it asks me to choose a partition to fix and I do, it tells me I still need to select a partition. Urrgg...

I think I'll boot into linux and and see if I can fix by manually editing the partition table...

ciscocbee

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, I figure I'll loose some stuff. The data isn't super important (all that is backed up on a RAID Z server plus a hard drive in my desk at work) just a bit of a pain to get back. If I loose 10-20 gb I'll live with that, price of a lesson...

ciscocbee

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
OK, nothing worked. Looks like my MFT was corrupted (and the mirror) and no free software I could find would fix it so I gave up. Reformatted the partition. All my impt stuff was ona RAID Z pool anyway.