Three Display Setup for Aero

I'm building a PC that I'd like to have 3 display support. It should be capable of running Aero (either in Vista or 7) on all 3 displays.

I know I could get a couple of identical PCIe x16 cards with dual-display capability and this would work. However, what I'd like to do is use the integrated / onboard video for one display and then add a x16 dual-display card for the next two displays.

I'm pretty sure in XP this would work with the right chipset (although I've never tested it), but I know things get more complicated in Aero. If I was sure to get the same chipset manufacturer in both the integrated and the PCIe would that be enough? Or would I have to get the same chipset? Or something else?

Just a note that performance is not much of an issue. As long as I get an accelerated desktop and capable of driving 3 relatively large displays (say, 1920x1080) I'll be satisfied, i.e., this isn't a gaming machine.

Thanks for taking a look!
4 answers Last reply
More about three display setup aero
  1. This was my first post, and it seems like most threads here get many responses, so did I ask the wrong question? Was it the wrong section? Was it a dumb question? Is it answered somewhere else.

I'm just a new poster trying to figure out why I haven't gotten answer. I'm not impatient ... just curious.
  2. Quote:
    Ummm, what's the question?

Thanks for the response ... I thought I did ask a question, but maybe I wasn't clear. Basically, here's my situation:

"However, what I'd like to do is use the integrated / onboard video for one display and then add a x16 dual-display card for the next two displays. "

As for your suggestion, I specifically say:

"I know I could get a couple of identical PCIe x16 cards with dual-display capability and this would work."

But as I stated, I'd like to use the onboard video for the 3rd display. Clear now?
  3. Thanks for the response. The problem with your solution is motherboards with two PCIe x16 slots are expensive, and *never* in cheap off-the-shelf systems from Dell, HP, etc.

I've thought this through and trying to figure out if I can use the onboard video for the 3rd display. Why shouldn't I use onboard video with Aero? There are some onboard chipsets that are quite competent, no?
  4. Ha, I don't see why this is confusing.

Ideally, yes, I'd like to buy an off-the-shelf system with adequate onboard video and put in a dual-display card in the available x16 slot to get 3 displays capable of running Aero in 1920x1080.

I'd like to avoid using two x16 cards because it is rare that off-the-shelf systems in my budget are capable of this.

1920x1080 monitors can be had for well under $150, so I'm not sure why this is so strange. As for the use? I don't see how it matters ... I already said it wasn't for gaming. I just need a lot of display real estate for the work I do.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Chipsets Displays Graphics