Closed Solved

1Tb external hard drive

Is there a way to reformat a 1 TB external hard drive for Windows once it's been used on a Mac? I have Windows 7. Thanks.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about external hard drive
  1. Yes, but you will lose the data. Just right click on the drive in windows explorer and choose format

In general, to use the hard drive with both Windows and Mac then format it as exFAT.
  2. Right click, format won't work?
  3. I have no problem with whatever data is on the drive, but it doesn't even show up in windows explorer -- just on the devices list.

I'm in Windows 7. So it's a mystery. Not an urgent thing, but I'm very curious why this is happening.

Thanks!

jsrudd said:
    Yes, but you will lose the data. Just right click on the drive in windows explorer and choose format

In general, to use the hard drive with both Windows and Mac then format it as exFAT.
  4. Back-up all your files, then click format.
  5. It does not show up at all in windows explorer. Device manager yes, windows explorer no.
  6. Best answer
    You need to go into disk management and initialize/format the drive from there, then it will show up in windows explorer and "my computer".
  7. Go to Start;settings;control panel;administrative tools;Computer management;storage

If you see your drive here, check to see that it is assigned a drive letter. Assign one if it doesn't have one.

You should be able to "see" it now.
  8. clarkjd said:
    Go to Start;settings;control panel;administrative tools;Computer management;storage

If you see your drive here, check to see that it is assigned a drive letter. Assign one if it doesn't have one.

You should be able to "see" it now.

Mac uses HFS, so he can't just assign a drive letter to it. It will need repartitioned and formatted to NTFS, thus my instructions above to initialize the drive in disk management.
  9. Hawkeye22 said:
    Mac uses HFS, so he can't just assign a drive letter to it. It will need repartitioned and formatted to NTFS, thus my instructions above to initialize the drive in disk management.

You should be able to do all that from the computer management/storage window. Right click on the disk to bring up that menu.

OOPs! My bad! you need to go one level deeper. Disk Management is listed under Storage. My apologies!
  10. clarkjd said:
    You should be able to do all that from the computer management/storage window. Right click on the disk to bring up that menu.

Yes, I've said disk management since my first post, at least twice now. You keep repaeating it.
  11. Best answer selected by MarthaM.
  12. Got it! Thanks so much for your help.

Hawkeye22 said:
    You need to go into disk management and initialize/format the drive from there, then it will show up in windows explorer and "my computer".
  13. Thank you - this worked! I appreciate your help so much.

Hawkeye22 said:
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows 7 External Hard Drive Macintosh Storage