Help with 5ghz i5-3570k

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
I managed a 4.8ghz overclock at +.160 volts but even if I throw +.275 volts at my cpu I still get a BSOD after about 30 seconds of prime95 which brings the temps up to around 95c-100c which I am completely uncomfortable with, but I'm just curious if not enough volts is actually the reason I can't pull off a 5ghz overclock. I was able to get a 4.4ghz oc on stock voltage and get 4.6@ +.055and 4.7@ +.105 and obviously 4.8@ +.160 and have not attempted 4.9 because even if I did manage it I would just stick to 4.8 because 4.9 would be a constant reminder of failure. Is there any other reason I get BSOD'd while stress testing 5ghz besides lack of volts?

Solution

Does it matter that no one knows for sure? The point is that it WILL shorten the lifespan of the chip. No if's and's or but's about it.

The higher voltage required for 5.0 alone is bad enough (read up on electromigration, if you don't believe me), but extremely high temps combined with that kind of voltage will speed that process up significantly.

The OP can do whatever he wants. It's his money and hardware he's playing with, but I'm just warning you and him both. No one may know when or how soon, exactly, but the CPU WILL die sooner rather than later at super high...

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
You hit 95c-100c. This tells me that you must have disabled thermal protection, because intel chips should have a kill switch when they hit 92c I believe. This also tells me you have probably a stock cooler on top of your CPU. Your trying to also hit 5ghz. So in a nut shell, what your telling us, or at least me, is that you have no clue what your doing, and soon your probably going to blow up your CPU. Your "stable" 4.8ghz I can pretty much promise you is not stable.

Bottom line:

The best advice I can give you is to reset your bios to factory defaults and do not overclock. You have no where near the knowledge to know what your doing, and I do not think anyone here will retype a guide for you since there are dozens of great guides out there that you have access to.

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
First of all, Thermal Throttling is enabled. This is an ivy bridge cpu not a sandy bridge so it will not shut off at 92C.
Secondly, I have a cooler master hyper 212 evo. You wouldn't get past the bios with a 5ghz overclock with a stock cooler.
Lastly, what are you so pissed about? What the *** did I do to you asshole?

Graphite946

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

ivy's TJ max is 105c. They're built to run within that limit.

Naco, what cooler are you using?

Edit: saw 212, remember, all CPU's have a wall, and ivy's is slightly lower than sandy's.

I'd look into a water cooling loop to push farther.

Yes, 105C is the max core temp, and the temp that the CPU will start to throttle to save itself. That, however, DOESN'T mean that you should ever let it get anywhere near that hot if you want it to last.

TCase is 67.4C, and that's what you should be trying to stay close to.

Graphite946

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

So please tell me, with facts only, not assumptions, how long an ivy chip will last being ran near the TJ max?

Oh, you can't, because no one knows. So why assume?

Does it matter that no one knows for sure? The point is that it WILL shorten the lifespan of the chip. No if's and's or but's about it.

The higher voltage required for 5.0 alone is bad enough (read up on electromigration, if you don't believe me), but extremely high temps combined with that kind of voltage will speed that process up significantly.

The OP can do whatever he wants. It's his money and hardware he's playing with, but I'm just warning you and him both. No one may know when or how soon, exactly, but the CPU WILL die sooner rather than later at super high temps and the kind of voltage required for 5.0.

Solution

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Thanks. I'm sticking to a 4.5ghz overclock because the 4.8ghz temps are uncomfortable and while only intelburntest brings temps above 90c, I was still hitting 80c when gaming.

G

Whilst I agree completely with Dark Outlaw I would rather direct you to do some reading online rather than give up. Everyone ask stupid questions, trouble is, and I found this out due to asking, if you didn't go to the trouble of learning what you can asking stupid questions effectively gets you trolled :). FYI I've got i5-3750K running at 4.4 with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13. You can get more but not that will stay stable during a prolonged stress test.

Worst case you blow it and have to buy another it is your money and you wont do it twice :)

TRENDING THREADS