Pentium 4 (not Mobile) Power Management?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 17, 2004 7:04:56 PM

Is it true that the (desktop) Pentium 4 processor scales down to half
clock speed when used on battery power in a laptop, through power
management? I'm trying to figure out whether to get a Pentium 4
(cheaper, worse battery life, supposedly slower on battery, faster on
AC) or a Pentium-M (more expensive, better battery life, supposedly
faster on battery, slightly slower on AC) and I just wanted more info
about this.

Also, is this driven by the BIOS, or is it something that could be
adjusted (with horrible effects on battery life, but adjusted
nonetheless) in the OS?

Thanks,

Tom
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2004 11:10:06 PM

Hi Tom,

The Pentium IV in my HP Pavilion zd7010us runs at 2.66GHz all the time.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
He esteems too lightly

Tom wrote:
> Is it true that the (desktop) Pentium 4 processor scales down to half
> clock speed when used on battery power in a laptop, through power
> management? I'm trying to figure out whether to get a Pentium 4
> (cheaper, worse battery life, supposedly slower on battery, faster on
> AC) or a Pentium-M (more expensive, better battery life, supposedly
> faster on battery, slightly slower on AC) and I just wanted more info
> about this.
>
> Also, is this driven by the BIOS, or is it something that could be
> adjusted (with horrible effects on battery life, but adjusted
> nonetheless) in the OS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

July 18, 2004 2:34:27 AM

Tom <thinkinginbinary@gmail.com> wrote:
: Is it true that the (desktop) Pentium 4 processor scales down to half
: clock speed when used on battery power in a laptop, through power
: management? I'm trying to figure out whether to get a Pentium 4
: (cheaper, worse battery life, supposedly slower on battery, faster on
: AC) or a Pentium-M (more expensive, better battery life, supposedly
: faster on battery, slightly slower on AC) and I just wanted more info
: about this.

: Also, is this driven by the BIOS, or is it something that could be
: adjusted (with horrible effects on battery life, but adjusted
: nonetheless) in the OS?

It's usually adjusted in the OS. If you are asking, "Does a Pentium 4
always go 1/2 the clock speed on a battery when in a laptop?" the
answer is mostly likely, "Probably not". My Toshiba 1415 has a
Celeron in it (a scaled-down Pentium 4) and Toshiba has power
management options you can choose on the Windows contol panel - from
full power to long battery life/slower CPU.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

My Pentium 4's speed doesn't change at all on battery officially, but it
seems to me that it gets a little bit slower (only noticeable when gaming
though). However, if you get a laptop that does scale down the speed, you
could always stop that by selecting "always on" in the power management
properties.
Richard
"Tom" <thinkinginbinary@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it true that the (desktop) Pentium 4 processor scales down to half
> clock speed when used on battery power in a laptop, through power
> management? I'm trying to figure out whether to get a Pentium 4
> (cheaper, worse battery life, supposedly slower on battery, faster on
> AC) or a Pentium-M (more expensive, better battery life, supposedly
> faster on battery, slightly slower on AC) and I just wanted more info
> about this.
>
> Also, is this driven by the BIOS, or is it something that could be
> adjusted (with horrible effects on battery life, but adjusted
> nonetheless) in the OS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 10:02:48 AM

> Is it true that the (desktop) Pentium 4 processor scales down to half
> clock speed when used on battery power in a laptop, through power
> management? I'm trying to figure out whether to get a Pentium 4
> (cheaper, worse battery life, supposedly slower on battery, faster on
> AC) or a Pentium-M (more expensive, better battery life, supposedly
> faster on battery, slightly slower on AC)

Depends on benchmark.

At the WDS content creation benchmark, the Pentium-M is faster

http://notebook.pege.org/benchmarks/content-creation-be...

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization