junkimchi

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Searched everywhere but couldn't get an answer for this

So my case, the Antec P280, has a fan hub in the back to connect and control the speeds of the 3 Antec Twocool exhaust fans in the back (low or high). My question is simply this: If I connect aftermarket fans in place of the stock Twocools, would I be able to control them with the hub switches?

A related question would be: Why are there two setting fans such as this Antec Twocool for example if all fans can be adjusted with the voltage?

Solution
The p280 fan controller appears to have 3 pin fan headers. So yes, you can connect any fan that has a 3 pin connector, 4 pin connector (4 pin molex would work with adapter) to this fan controller and power the fans this way. But...The low setting may not work on all fans. The full speed setting would shoot 12v to all fans which shouldn't be a problem. The low speed (7v, or 5v probably) would run other fans depending if said fans could operate at low voltages. I don't see 7v being a problem. But sometimes fans won't start up if the voltage is too low.

Your next question, some people don't have or want a fan controller so those fans you linked give the option to control the speeds right on the fan itself.

skaz

Distinguished
The p280 fan controller appears to have 3 pin fan headers. So yes, you can connect any fan that has a 3 pin connector, 4 pin connector (4 pin molex would work with adapter) to this fan controller and power the fans this way. But...The low setting may not work on all fans. The full speed setting would shoot 12v to all fans which shouldn't be a problem. The low speed (7v, or 5v probably) would run other fans depending if said fans could operate at low voltages. I don't see 7v being a problem. But sometimes fans won't start up if the voltage is too low.

Your next question, some people don't have or want a fan controller so those fans you linked give the option to control the speeds right on the fan itself.

Solution

sarsshadow

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009

There is 3 fan switches and 1 empty one, is it possible to get a aftermarket switch that size to fill in that extra space and if so what is that switch called? could you possibly provide a link to the product.