How do I use my radiator bleed/drain plug?

MagR

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Hi All

I’ve recently installed my first watercooling loop (thanks for previous assistance by the way) and now want to drain it so I can change a couple of fittings. My radiator has a bleed/drain plug on the end furthest away from the inlet/outlet ports.

I was wondering can I use this to drain my system and if so how? My thoughts were to ensure the radiator plug is at the lowest part of the loop then open both the reservoir plug and this radiator drain plug. Does anyone know whether this will work? Also when I refill the loop how do I use this radiator plug to help bleed air?

When I initially filled the loop I tried to bleed it using this drain plug but water poured out the open reservoir plug hole. With hindsight I had the radiator standing on end with the radiator plug at the highest point in the loop. Instead do I position the plug at the lowest point then loosen it? When water starts to come out (into a suitably positioned bowl) does this mean that all the air is out of the radiator? I am using a dual bay reservoir/top for Laing D5 and had terrible trouble bleeding it first time. Perhaps if I master using the radiator drain plug it will be a bit easier next time.

Thanks in advance

Mag

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Just disconnect a piece of tubing low in the loop and drain.

When water starts to come out (into a suitably positioned bowl) does this mean that all the air is out of the radiator?
No, this would mean water is emptying and the radiator is FULL of air.

Draining your radiator isn't the same as draining the entire loop...there likely will be some water in other components, so take that into consideration.

What radiator do you have that has a drain port...Swiftech or AC?

MagR

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Thanks for your reply. My radiator is an Alphacool Nexxxos UT60 560. What I am trying to do is use the bleed/drain port as much as possible to avoid disconnecting tubing. I'm using Bitpower Fatboy barbs with worm screws and when they are on I find it impossible to get the tubing off the barb again.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mag