Sign in with
Your question

HELP! Did i fry my CPU?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 20, 2012 10:10:56 PM

Could i have fried my CPU while overclocking? i was trying to get a 4.2 overclock on my i7 2600k, with asrock extreme 3 gen 3 z68 mobo and noctua nh-d14 cooler.
I set vcore voltage to 1.25 and core multiplier to 42, the rest stock settings and when i booted up it froze at the windows loading screen. When i set everyone back to bios stock the same thing happens. I tried a system restore and nothing. I can load fine into bios but windows will not load. What should i do?

More about : fry cpu

July 21, 2012 3:11:11 AM

ok if you can take out the cpu and look under at the pin if its melted them your screwed or if its not then its internal
m
l
Related resources
July 21, 2012 3:15:27 AM

CMOS reset, do so immediately before you cause further damage.
m
l
July 22, 2012 5:11:49 PM

manzi said:
Could i have fried my CPU while overclocking? i was trying to get a 4.2 overclock on my i7 2600k, with asrock extreme 3 gen 3 z68 mobo and noctua nh-d14 cooler.
I set vcore voltage to 1.25 and core multiplier to 42, the rest stock settings and when i booted up it froze at the windows loading screen. When i set everyone back to bios stock the same thing happens. I tried a system restore and nothing. I can load fine into bios but windows will not load. What should i do?

These settings should be fine. 1.25 on vcore isn't going to damage your CPU or melt any pins so scratch those comments. I would also say check your memory on this one. You could try to take out all your memory and just try booting it with one stick and see if that works. Also if this motherboard has 2 BIOS you could also try switching to the second BIOS and seeing if that works. This looks like a memory issue to me, but then again anything is possible when it comes to overclocking. You haven't fried your CPU though so don't worry about that, because if you had fried your CPU you wouldn't see anything when you power on.
m
l
September 30, 2012 7:10:31 AM

manzi said:

reset bios to default
m
l
!