Computer shuts off when I enter room

fwindline

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I'm having a very strange issue with a machine I built recently. Almost every time I enter the room and walk towards my computer when it is powered on, it restarts. When it restarts, the fans rev up to 100% quickly then go back down and repeat ad nauseum (basically an infinite restart loop). I've moved it from across the room and changed power outlets to see if that was the problem, but it wasn't. I've looked at temps inside my machine and they all seem within normal range, so I don't think that overheating is the problem. I can't recreate the problem by shaking the machine or jumping on the floor beside it. It only occurs when I walk toward the computer and get near it. I'm out of ideas as to what could be causing this. Any help/troubleshooting advice would be appreciated.

fwindline

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Thanks for the helpful (and not so helpful) replies. I tried to stick some metal to my head but it didn't work, so being magnetic isn't the problem. I am a good christian so I don't believe in ghosts nor do I wear socks. I'll check if there are washers/standoffs touching the motherboard.