Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts off when I enter room

Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2009 5:43:13 AM

I'm having a very strange issue with a machine I built recently. Almost every time I enter the room and walk towards my computer when it is powered on, it restarts. When it restarts, the fans rev up to 100% quickly then go back down and repeat ad nauseum (basically an infinite restart loop). I've moved it from across the room and changed power outlets to see if that was the problem, but it wasn't. I've looked at temps inside my machine and they all seem within normal range, so I don't think that overheating is the problem. I can't recreate the problem by shaking the machine or jumping on the floor beside it. It only occurs when I walk toward the computer and get near it. I'm out of ideas as to what could be causing this. Any help/troubleshooting advice would be appreciated.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2009 1:19:40 PM

maybe his cursed?
m
l
December 31, 2009 4:28:21 PM

Have you checked to see if someone was under your bed?
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2009 4:38:30 PM

well, if this isn't a troll, then the only thing i can think of is some short that happens when walking across the room causes a vibration (yeah, its far fetched)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2009 4:52:48 PM

Simple solution is to stop entering the room and the computer will run fine.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2009 5:30:13 PM

Some electric wire under his feet.
m
l
December 31, 2009 6:04:46 PM

I think it's real.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2009 6:08:49 PM

Maybe it's doing it when you are not there, too. How would you know?
m
l
December 31, 2009 7:35:53 PM

Petrofsky said:
Maybe it's doing it when you are not there, too. How would you know?

i guess he could set up a web cam to watch it to see if it happens when he isn't there
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2009 7:54:58 PM

If a computer turns off and no one is in the room to see it, is it really off?

But seriously, everytime I click on the forums at Tom's Hardware I keep seeing stupid idiotic posts that appear out of nowhere. I wonder what is causing this?
m
l
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2009 11:10:03 PM

Stop dragging your socks on the carpet as you walk up to the computer. All that static electricity KILLS it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2010 1:59:12 AM

I saw a post like this before and it turned out that the problem was caused by these stupid paper washers that came with (I think) the case. They were installed on the motherboard. When he tossed the washers the problem went away.
m
l
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2010 1:45:19 PM

Basically means that the motherboard was not grounded to the case.
m
l
January 2, 2010 9:25:54 AM

Try going to a computer shop and see if all computers will be shutting down.
m
l
January 2, 2010 11:22:03 PM

Thanks for the helpful (and not so helpful) replies. I tried to stick some metal to my head but it didn't work, so being magnetic isn't the problem. I am a good christian so I don't believe in ghosts nor do I wear socks. I'll check if there are washers/standoffs touching the motherboard.
m
l
!