4 pin connector in 8 pin slot

danhasmail

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Hello,
Rampage lll Extreme Hi everyone, Maybe you can help me. I have 2 ports close to each other on my motherboard for a 8 pin EPS12V. My power supply only has one such cable. I do have a left over 4 pin ATX12V connecter that’s not being used. Should I fill half of the other 8 pin slot with it??? And if so, does it matter what part of it as long as the polarity is the same?? Or shouldn’t I bother??? Will it make any difference??? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. danny

Solution
The single 4 pin connector provides the same 12v power from the PSU as an 8 pin connector. The additional pins simply provide a better ground for the 12v current. Using the 4 pin connector in the plug side closest to the processor will be fine. If you have an overclocked quad an eight pin connector would provide a better grounded power 12v source.
The single 4 pin connector provides the same 12v power from the PSU as an 8 pin connector. The additional pins simply provide a better ground for the 12v current. Using the 4 pin connector in the plug side closest to the processor will be fine. If you have an overclocked quad an eight pin connector would provide a better grounded power 12v source.

Solution

Sorry but it's not gust extra ground, there is 2 x +12v too. that way it spreads power on more wires and more to VRM. It's much better to have all 8 pins connected since it was already provided by PSU.

Sorry but it's not just extra ground, there is 2 x +12v too. that way it spreads power on more wires and more to VRM. It's much better to have all 8 pins connected since it was already provided by PSU.