Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Seagate Momentus XT 500GB - Good Deal?

Last response: in Storage
December 15, 2011 6:25:16 PM

Newegg has the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid Drive for only $90 which looks like a pretty good deal to me. Now, I don't know too much about hard drives but I've ready a fair number of (generally positive) reviews of the product. Is the Momentus XT a better better choice than a cheap ($100) SATA 6.0 GB/s HDD? Or should I wait for a good sale on a 6.0 Gb/s? I've read that 6.0 GB/s doesn't mean much for non-SSD's, is that true?

Here's my build:

CPU: Intel i5 2500k
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
Video Card: Gigiabyte Ultra Durable VGA Series GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850
Case: HAF 912
Power: Corsair Builder Series 600 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

Sometime in the future, I'd like to get a SSD to run my OS/cache off of but I don't really have the budget to buy both a HDD and SSD at the moment (plus waiting will hopefully improve their price and reliability).
a c 265 G Storage
December 15, 2011 7:25:01 PM

Yes it is true HDD drives have yet to reach the transfer rates of SATA 3GB.
m
l
December 15, 2011 7:49:25 PM

Would I better off taking a hit to performance and waiting for a good sale on a 1TB HDD?
m
l
Related resources
a c 265 G Storage
December 15, 2011 9:38:11 PM

It would be a very little performance hit but if start looking at price per GB then the 1TB drives at $150 still have the win.
m
l
December 16, 2011 3:25:55 AM

Thanks for the link. I could buy that and do SRT later using a SSD cache.
m
l

Best solution

a c 117 G Storage
December 16, 2011 1:26:25 PM

The Momentus XT is a very impressive hybrid SSD / HD hybrid ......

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

Quote:
The performance numbers we saw in testing were interesting to say the least since synthetic tests really don’t do this drive any justice. Where it really takes a step away from the pack is in the all-important real world tests. In every application we tested, Seagate’s hybrid drive simply demolished the competition.

But the SSD portion is only 4GB and if ya regularly use large files......that means it's just a normal HD beyond 4GB. The newer 750GB model has 8GB which is more well suited to today's usage.....but two of the 500's in RAID 0 would certainly rock for quite a decent price.....assuming that's enough space for you.

Here's a review of the 2nd generation 750 GB model

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

At the point that these things hit 32 or meybe 64 GB for the SSD portion, methinks having separate SSD/HD could become passe.
December 16, 2011 8:02:31 PM

Best answer selected by Paladin5.
m
l
December 16, 2011 8:06:18 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to go with the Momentus XT, at least as an interim solution. If I can pick up a decent size SSD later on a nice sale, I can put my OS and most used programs on it. And, if I do end up needing more storage, I can buy a HDD when the prices normalize and use the SSD as a cache. The Momentus XT would probably make a good external HDD.
m
l
!