Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Backup cd windows xp mce to windows 7 home full version

Last response: in Windows XP
July 20, 2012 2:15:32 PM

I want to create a backup cd of all my programs I'd like to keep.I'm moving up to windows 7 because of all the benefits in it.XP MCE has been a pain in the behind.I've never done anything like this before.Will anyone guide me in the procedures I need to do?I have a dell xps 400/9150 if that is important to know.

More about : backup windows mce windows home full version

a c 372 $ Windows 7
July 20, 2012 2:33:00 PM

You can't copy your installed programs to a CD and then install them again on 7. You need the original setup disks or download files to install them.

You can probably backup your options and settings in the programs, need to check each one if you can do that and how.
m
l
July 20, 2012 3:27:46 PM

Thanks, so what do I need to create a backup disk for?Drivers or what?I keep reading about creating one.
m
l
Related resources
a c 372 $ Windows 7
July 20, 2012 3:30:01 PM

You can have many types of backups. File backups, OS backup, drivers, etc...
A "backup" is just a second copy of something you don't want to lose to a failure.

You can make an image backup of the whole drive using a cloning program like clonezilla or Ghost.

That won't do you any good if you are installing a new operating system though.
m
l
July 20, 2012 4:47:54 PM

Thanks again.I've been thinking more about this.How do I go about creating a backup disc of my system drivers?Such as ati radeon,intel pro network connection,sigmatel audio etc.
you have been helpful in understanding what a backup is for thus far.
m
l
a c 372 $ Windows 7
July 20, 2012 4:54:14 PM

Download the drivers and burn them onto a disk. You can't copy them from your system for the same reason you can't just save your installed programs and move them to another computer.

If you are going form XP to Windows 7 you need to download new drivers anyway.
m
l
July 20, 2012 5:37:09 PM

This was my son's comp to begin with.He's not around now to help.I know how to find and download the drivers.But I've never burnt anything onto cd before.It has a cdrw.How do I get the downloads to the cd now.Sorry for all the questions.I'm still a newbie.Will the intel pro 1000 connection driver I have now.Work with windows 7?
m
l
July 20, 2012 6:16:31 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Download the drivers and burn them onto a disk. You can't copy them from your system for the same reason you can't just save your installed programs and move them to another computer.

If you are going form XP to Windows 7 you need to download new drivers anyway.

After my last reply I remembered I did a windows 7 compatiblity report.Found out that the intel driver was compatible.I also recently had to reinstall my windows xp os.
i have an old driver cd that my son burnt.It has the intel network driver on it.Do I need any other drivers to go online?Thanks for your replies.It helped me think about what I already have and know.Just don't know how to burn anything onto cd yet.
m
l

Best solution

a c 372 $ Windows 7
July 20, 2012 9:57:26 PM

You can't use any of your old drivers for Windows 7. You need to download new ones.

Get them from the PC vendor if it's a regular computer off the shelf, or from the motherboard vendor if it's a custom built one.

Burning CDs is easy, just drag the files to the CD drive with a blank disk, XP will ask you what you want to do with it. There are also tons of programs that do this like Nero or Roxio, they may even be installed on the computer already.
July 21, 2012 12:59:44 PM

Thanks again hang-the-9.For your info on how to burn a cd.I found out that there are not many windows 7 drivers for my dell xps400/9150.But I have found out that I can use some of the vista drivers.And if they don't work right.I can use the xp drivers such as the sigmatel stac 92xx c-major.By putting them in compatability mode before I unzip them.If you have any more info on this I'd sure appreciate it.Thanks again for your help.
m
l
July 31, 2012 8:42:48 AM

Best answer selected by KWA59.
m
l
!