Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Getting an SSD (OCZ Vertex 3) for the first time! Have questions!

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 15, 2011 6:45:32 PM

Sorry for my noobness in computers, but I will be receiving a 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 to add to my 1TB and 400GB hard drives. I will definitely be wanting to use the SSD as a boot drive, but my question is, when I install the SSD & Windows on it, what will happen to the files on my Hard Drives? I know they will still be there, but for example, the files on my desktop at the moment. They will be gone once the SSD is installed right?

I'm just not sure what will happen to my current files once the installation is complete.

Any help will be appreciated :) 
a b G Storage
December 15, 2011 7:17:28 PM

Nothing is ever gone, you might not access them from new windows due to your security or encryption settings
Easiest thing is to copy your files from those locations (documents/desktop) to folder created some other place (like C:\New Folder\) for example

also to be safer simply disconnect your other 2 drives when you installing windows on SSD, you can connect them later once all done
m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 15, 2011 7:29:03 PM

I hope you are aware of all the issues that those drives have.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 15, 2011 7:40:57 PM

Oh great~ i just purchase 120GB vertex from newegg.com ( 13~14 was big sales lol)

Pre OS was on my 1TB HDD. Which partition into two space 100GB OS 900GB for data.

Even with single HDD but there are partition with them you can safe your file after install os on SSD. Just remove partition in windows mode (boot partition and os partition)

I just backup all data on 900GB side to other HDD first.

Because after clean install my SSD, i like to have clean data you know.

Here this is what i did to before upgrade and after upgrade.

Before

1. backup data or file i need it + Update driver files from my hardware company - to external HDD.

2. Remove all HDD from PC

3. Install only SSD and boot into BIOS setting option page.

4. Few things change in bios option page.

following

any option regarding C1/2/3/4/5/6/ so on - disable them.

OCZ performance increase doing this step.

Enable AHCI on my all SATA port. (for future SSD lol)

My main board are Crosshair V Formula - my board has option called HPA - High performance Application. i enable them.

Cool and Quite - disable.

Any option regarding saving energy please disable them for best speed of SSD.

Now finally insert Windows 7 DVD.

Follow the screen and install.

PS. Please do not partition with SSD or Click more option in format section. Just click next.
Window 7 will give best option for SSD. Good thing that you have extra HDD lol

now after install Windows 7

Before update or install any driver please there are few things to turn it off.

Using SSD Tweaker is best (free one also doing really great)

In Service tap please disable Search and superfatch.

Disable auto defrag.

Disable any prefatch in regedit.

1. run "regedit";
2. goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher];
3. Set the value to either 0-Disable.

this is will disable prefatch.


Please know that TRIM options are auto enable by Windows 7 therefore this step can be skip.


open CMD as admin

and type this option into it.

fsutil behavior set disable8dot3 1
fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1

powercfg -h off



disable paging file.

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/windows-7/8533-how-do-i...


please reboot your pc


and install windows 7 update + driver you need.


DO NOT UPDATE your AHCI driver unless your SSD is Intel.

please reboot your pc.



Ready to Rock~




PS. this is personal note... If any one don't want to try this steps please don't.
Use SSD like HDD really doesn't matter.

No matter what happen we are upgrade or replace all hardware with in 3~5 years.

Therefore All my options are not really recommend but better then nothing~ lol

these option and disable / enable option for little bit pull out more speed of SSD and life time of SSD that's all.


Forgive me about my low level English skills.

Good luck~
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 11:00:31 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

So another question.. what exactly will happen to the Windows that is on my current hard drive? Do I need to do any modifications to it? Will it be able to boot Windows after I install Windows on the SSD? I know that you get to choose which drive you want as the boot up, but i'm just wondering what will happen to the Windows on the HD.

m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 11:43:33 AM

If you not going to erase old drive on purpose nothing will happen windows will be there. You can select it on boot up and load windows from old drive anytime you want.
m
0
l
a c 115 G Storage
December 16, 2011 12:25:37 PM

ahnilated said:
I hope you are aware of all the issues that those drives have.


Are you perhaps referring to the issues that existed prior to the firmware fix was provided two months ago ?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4973/sandforce-identifies...

Quote:
OCZ is pleased to announce that the cause of a BSOD issue experienced by some SF-2000-based drive owners has been identified by OCZ and SandForce. A new firmware update which directly addresses this BSOD occurrence related to SF-2000 based SSDs is available here. All newly manufactured OCZ SF-2000 based SSDs will feature the new 2.15 firmware revision (which is based on SandForce firmware version 3.3.2.) We highly recommend that any customers that have experienced the BSOD issue update their firmware to 2.15.


Given its placement on THG's heirarchy chart and the firmware bug being addressed, it's a very sound alternative .... here's the list pared down to just 120/128 GB models

Tier 3
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB
OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120 GB
Patriot WildFire 120 GB
Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
Other 120 GB second-gen SandForce SSDs with Toggle NAND

Tier 4
None

Tier 5 (21% slower than Tier 3)
Intel SSD 510 120 GB
Crucial m4 128 GB

Tier 6 (33% slower than Tier 3)
Adata S511 120 GB
Corsair Force GT 120 GB
Kingston HyperX SSD 120 GB
OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB
Other 120 GB second-gen SandForce SSDs with Sync ONFi NAND

Tier 7
None

Tier 8 (61% slower than Tier 3)
Corsair Force 3 120 GB
OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
OCZ Solid 3 120 GB
Patriot Pyro 120 GB
Samsung 470 SSD 128 GB
Other 120 GB second-gen SandForce SSDs with Async ONFi NAND
m
0
l
a c 115 G Storage
December 16, 2011 12:30:20 PM

jpmxch said:
Sorry for my noobness in computers, but I will be receiving a 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 to add to my 1TB and 400GB hard drives. I will definitely be wanting to use the SSD as a boot drive, but my question is, when I install the SSD & Windows on it, what will happen to the files on my Hard Drives? I know they will still be there, but for example, the files on my desktop at the moment. They will be gone once the SSD is installed right?

I'm just not sure what will happen to my current files once the installation is complete.

Any help will be appreciated :) 


1. Unplug the SATA cable to old drive(s)

2. Connect the SSD, hopefully to a SATA 3 port.

3. Install Windows to the SSD ....do all the Windows Updates.

4. Reconnect the HD

Now you can boot to either installation via the BIOS

The files are still there. I never saw the value f having files on the desktop buy you cab replace them just as you did before.

m
0
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 5:55:47 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Are you perhaps referring to the issues that existed prior to the firmware fix was provided two months ago ?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4973/sandforce-identifies...

Quote:
OCZ is pleased to announce that the cause of a BSOD issue experienced by some SF-2000-based drive owners has been identified by OCZ and SandForce. A new firmware update which directly addresses this BSOD occurrence related to SF-2000 based SSDs is available here. All newly manufactured OCZ SF-2000 based SSDs will feature the new 2.15 firmware revision (which is based on SandForce firmware version 3.3.2.) We highly recommend that any customers that have experienced the BSOD issue update their firmware to 2.15.


Given its placement on THG's heirarchy chart and the firmware bug being addressed, it's a very sound alternative .... here's the list pared down to just 120/128 GB models

Tier 3
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB
OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120 GB
Patriot WildFire 120 GB
Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
Other 120 GB second-gen SandForce SSDs with Toggle NAND

Tier 4
None

Tier 5 (21% slower than Tier 3)
Intel SSD 510 120 GB
Crucial m4 128 GB

Tier 6 (33% slower than Tier 3)
Adata S511 120 GB
Corsair Force GT 120 GB
Kingston HyperX SSD 120 GB
OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB
Other 120 GB second-gen SandForce SSDs with Sync ONFi NAND

Tier 7
None

Tier 8 (61% slower than Tier 3)
Corsair Force 3 120 GB
OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
OCZ Solid 3 120 GB
Patriot Pyro 120 GB
Samsung 470 SSD 128 GB
Other 120 GB second-gen SandForce SSDs with Async ONFi NAND



Actually I am referring to them all. Everything that I have read says there are still issues with the drives BSOD'n and causing other issues. Go read some of the reviews on the drives on Newegg and other resellers sites. Just because OCZ thinks they solved the issue doesn't mean it is solved.
m
0
l
December 16, 2011 7:06:12 PM

I really abuse the NTFS junction point feature of Windows computers. Granted I only have a 30GB SSD with a 500GB mechanical, so it is somewhat necessary.
The command: (type mklink /? to double-check)
mklink /J source target
(i.e. mklink /J C:\Users\killersquirel11\Videos E:\Cfiles\Users\killersquirel11\Videos
note that C:\Users\killersquirel11\Videos needs to be removed first. The file on the E drive can already exist)
It basically creates an uber-shortcut that will cause any program that tries to access the link will actually be redirected to the target, without the program knowing. I'd recommend doing this for media folders (\Users\<account-name>\Videos, Music, and possibly Downloads and Documents). I even went so far as to move my entire user account over (you need to do some finaggling before the OS is even fully installed to make this work correctly, google around or ask me if you want to try this). And I also moved my \ProgramData folder over.

/ramble
m
0
l
!