Radeon overclock artifacts with cool gpu

Banana_Joe

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I'm new to this. I got a Gigabyte 6570, stock clocks are 670mhz core and 800mhz memory(DDR3).

Thru' AMD Overdrive i overcloked the core to 800nhz, no problem.Then i overcloked memory to 900mhz, no pronlem. Now i overcloked the memory to 1000mhz and i'm getting artifacts in game and i'm not willing to go lower 'cause it solved my performance issue. :D

According to Speedfan my GPU temperature is about 40c while i'm getting the artifacts.

How could i try to get rid of the artifacts?

Solution
Temperature is not your limit in this case (as is common with memory). The actual silicon can only flip bits at a certain speed and once your clock speed exceeds that, you get artifacts. Forgetting about physical limitations or variance is a common OC beginner mistake to make. There are physical limitations of the silicon you're working with that are not strictly related to voltage or temperature (although voltage and temperature do play a factor).

Banana_Joe

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
The most similar from that link is "bus atifacts" but it is just a little bit at random places at the screen contantly changing its position. I did not set anything related to voltage, should i?

The card is not defective, the artifacts go away if i lower the memory clock.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Temperature is not your limit in this case (as is common with memory). The actual silicon can only flip bits at a certain speed and once your clock speed exceeds that, you get artifacts. Forgetting about physical limitations or variance is a common OC beginner mistake to make. There are physical limitations of the silicon you're working with that are not strictly related to voltage or temperature (although voltage and temperature do play a factor).

Solution

Banana_Joe

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Does it cause any damage if i leave it like that?

Banana_Joe

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

thanks, fortunately i decreased the memory to 983mhz and it remains stable without artifacts without noticiable performance loss.