Sign in with
Your question

Raptor vs SSD

Last response: in Storage
December 15, 2011 8:45:44 PM

I have a raptor 300gb right now that spins at 10k rpm but am looking at getting a SSD drive but only problem is i cant afford one to replace the 300gb drive i have now with that same amount of space. Just my games alone will eat up that space quick with playing WoW, BF3, LOTRO, DDO and other games as well as adobe master collection also and other software.

Would i benefit from an SSD over my raptor have?

More about : raptor ssd

December 15, 2011 8:56:46 PM

Why replace? Get a SSD, install Windows on it, and spread your games out over both.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 15, 2011 9:01:06 PM

Yeah, is the Raptor broken? If not, just use it as a mildly beastly data drive.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 15, 2011 10:46:41 PM

nah its not broken at all. It works fine still. Just loking at possibly getting one if the price is right
m
l
December 15, 2011 10:48:25 PM

How would things perform if i had a SSD as my C drive and all my apps and games were on my raptor (Vilociraptor) as a D drive?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 15, 2011 11:03:16 PM

How much can you afford to drop on an SSD? ~$200 would get you a 128gb one, and that would basically take all your apps and all the games you play regularly.
It'd be beastly, of course. Check out the various youtube videos about SSD vs HDD; I'm sure there are even some about Raptors vs SSDs in boot time, game loading etc.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:15:57 AM

Yea about $200 is the price range. ill have to check out different sites like that and see
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:43:48 AM

mjohnson24 said:
I have a raptor 300gb right now that spins at 10k rpm but am looking at getting a SSD drive but only problem is i cant afford one to replace the 300gb drive i have now with that same amount of space. Just my games alone will eat up that space quick with playing WoW, BF3, LOTRO, DDO and other games as well as adobe master collection also and other software.

Would i benefit from an SSD over my raptor have?

Raptors are designed to run at there peak in RAID 0 and really if a couple 2 or 3 Raptors are not fast enough than you must have ADD LOL.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 1:10:05 AM

You'd still do better overall with an SSD and a Raptor. More space at a higher speed.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
December 16, 2011 2:47:32 AM

With a SSD the overall performance of the Pc will be quicker , programs and apps will open faster and game maps will load faster.I have that setup now with the OS on a SSD and everything else on a 600gb Raptor. For less than $200 this SSD is what I have and it's a good performing SSD.

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$199.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 16, 2011 2:52:00 AM

inzone said:
With a SSD the overall performance of the Pc will be quicker , programs and apps will open faster and game maps will load faster.I have that setup now with the OS on a SSD and everything else on a 600gb Raptor. For less than $200 this SSD is what I have and it's a good performing SSD.

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$199.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hmmm ill have to look into that one that you posted and check it out. Thanks for the info
m
l
December 16, 2011 2:59:51 AM

mjohnson24 said:
Hmmm ill have to look into that one that you posted and check it out. Thanks for the info

How is $199.99 less than $200 and when you factor in tax it is well over $200 for a pathetic 120gb count SSD when a high end 300gb VelociRaptor retails online at Newegg for $225 ill take the increased capacity and still fast performance for around the same cash any day LOL.
m
l
December 16, 2011 3:23:34 AM

Headspin_69 said:
How is $199.99 less than $200 and when you factor in tax it is well over $200 for a pathetic 120gb count SSD when a high end 300gb VelociRaptor retails online at Newegg for $225 ill take the increased capacity and still fast performance for around the same cash any day LOL.

Well technically, $199.99 is less than $200 by 2 cents so you might wanna rethink that question. even if it is only 2 cents its still less and for the other, need to research more cause a raptor has moving parts where as a SSD doesnt so it will obviously be faster. Sure you sacrifice space but your system can be booted up in seconds. As the other guys or more than likely they will probably see waht you wrote anyway.
m
l
December 16, 2011 3:29:58 AM

mjohnson24 said:
Well technically, $199.99 is less than $200 by 2 cents so you might wanna rethink that question. even if it is only 2 cents its still less and for the other, need to research more cause a raptor has moving parts where as a SSD doesnt so it will obviously be faster. Sure you sacrifice space but your system can be booted up in seconds. As the other guys or more than likely they will probably see waht you wrote anyway.

And also headspin, if your gonna talk like that and act like tohat to people like me then you might not wanna repost again cause you may just get reported. I just asked a simple question. And im sure others will agree. This forum is here to help people not bash em.

Well in these days of economic hardship and trying times within the world we live lets not think about spending more on less lets think about Economical and forget about spending more money on stuff America can no longer afford to buy both personally and on the federal level.
m
l
December 16, 2011 3:37:30 AM

Dude this has nothing to do with america or federal spending or anything of that nature. It has to do with what i want and what i wanan spend my OWN money on. You do what you wanna do and the rest of us will do what we wanna do.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 4:28:07 AM

My advice, don't buy adobe master collection, save a grand and upgrade anything you want to on your computer.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 4:30:44 AM

Headspin_69 said:
Well in these days of economic hardship and trying times within the world we live lets not think about spending more on less lets think about Economical and forget about spending more money on stuff America can no longer afford to buy both personally and on the federal level.

I see singling out America as racist. You also have your economics wrong. Spending money creates business revenue, more revenue results in business expansion, expansion results in more employees, more employees results in more spending money, and the cycle repeats itself. I'm not saying everyone should buy stuff they can't afford, debt is not the solution, but if people can afford luxuries then let them buy it. The government is a whole different case and I won't go into that. This forum section is about hardware help not economics, there's a separate section for that.
m
l
December 16, 2011 4:34:19 AM

k1114 said:
I see singling out America as racist. You also have your economics wrong. Spending money creates business revenue, more revenue results in business expansion, expansion results in more employees, more employees results in more spending money, and the cycle repeats itself. I'm not saying everyone should buy stuff they can't afford, debt is not the solution, but if people can afford luxuries then let them buy it. The government is a whole different case and I won't go into that. This forum section is about hardware help not economics, there's a separate section for that.

You dont want to include the whole world in Americas BS and i was using USA as a case in point because they are the most in debt Country in the world and how did they get there by over spending.Furthermore you cannot buy your way out of debt and this is the type of thing that got Americans into trouble in the first place.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 4:46:31 AM

Government and personal debt have nothing to do with each other. The US government may have the most debt but you need to look at debt relevant to their gdp. The US is not nearly in as bad as a situation as you think. Canada is ~84% debt vs the US at ~62%.

To simplify it for you, think of it as a person who makes more money can take out a bigger loan because they can afford it.
m
l
December 16, 2011 4:54:40 AM

k1114 said:
Government and personal debt have nothing to do with each other. The US government may have the most debt but you need to look at debt relevant to their gdp. The US is not nearly in as bad as a situation as you think. Canada is ~84% debt vs the US at ~62%.

To simplify it for you, think of it as a person who makes more money can take out a bigger loan because they can afford it.

I was talking about overall debt including personal household debt and on the federal governmental levels combined and the big Corps walk with impunity unfortunately. however 16Trillion in overall for the states debt is allot more than Canada LOL as it should be with Canada population being less than L.A. and New york, Minnesota combined.The only GDP that the USA produces is DEBT.
m
l
December 16, 2011 12:24:20 PM

To headspin and anyone else, if you wanna discuss this government issue then you or yall will need to go else where. I didnt start this thread to start an argument about government spending or anything else. I started it to talk about HDD vs SSD so with that you really need to go somewhere else. NOT HERE!!
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 12:42:45 PM

Headspin_69 said:
Raptors are designed to run at there peak in RAID 0 and really if a couple 2 or 3 Raptors are not fast enough than you must have ADD LOL.

I do have to agree. I run a pair of 160GB VelociRaptors (2.5" 10k rpm) in a RAID 0, and they absolutely rock. They burst read 439MB/sec, and can sustain an average 231MB/sec read. While not in SSD territory, it's still respectable and cheap. I've always wanted to strech it to a 3-way RAID 0, but I never felt like buying another disk to test a theory.

m
l
a c 114 G Storage
December 16, 2011 12:59:38 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-price-ssd,3070...

In the 120/128Gb size, these are the fastest ..... but don't expect to be wowed .... outside certain specific areas like video editing, CAD manipulation, etc, it's not like you could make a business case for increasing productivity in a general business office for example.

Tier 3
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB
OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120 GB
Patriot WildFire 120 GB
Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB
Other 120 GB second-gen SandForce SSDs with Toggle NAND

The Vertex 3 Max IOPS boots Windows 7 64 bit in 15.6 seconds ..... the Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB does it in 21.2 seconds (3TB a bit faster) ... a single Raptor would be a lil bit slower but not much.....the Seagate Momentus 750 GB does it in 17 seconds.

m
l
December 16, 2011 1:07:10 PM

I have a very similar setup to what you have planned. SSD for windows+apps, my old VR as storage for most games and my "User" folder, and a 1.5 TB disk as general storage.
Your games are not going to run faster because they are on a SSD, they are just going to load faster, and saving games is going to be faster.

Having windows on a SSD drive is nice because every time you start a program DLLs need to be loaded, logs get written, and quite a few other things happen. And because a SSD is generally about 100 times faster than the fastest HDD your system will simply feel faster and snappier.

Even if you decide to keep your games on your mechanical HDD you can still profit from the SSD's speed when loading and saving games, because some games put the save files in your users "My Documents" folder, which would be on the SSD.

If you have enough space left on your SSD after installing windows and all the apps you need you can still move your most played game(s) over.

Also consider that modern games have gotten so big that they are not going to load in 2 seconds, no matter what disk you install them to. But most games also hide loading times by playing videos, showing you logos... which are often not skippable. If you need to look at a nvidia logo for 5 seconds the game might as well load its data from a slower HDD during that time.

On the other hand you can get apps loaded about as fast as you click the icon. On my system firefox, chrome, thunderbird and other small apps pop open as soon as i release the mouse button. Photoshop is the slowest app i have, that takes ~1.5 sec to the color profile warning message, and another second after i confirm the color profile selection.
m
l
December 16, 2011 8:03:34 PM

mavroxur said:
I do have to agree. I run a pair of 160GB VelociRaptors (2.5" 10k rpm) in a RAID 0, and they absolutely rock. They burst read 439MB/sec, and can sustain an average 231MB/sec read. While not in SSD territory, it's still respectable and cheap. I've always wanted to strech it to a 3-way RAID 0, but I never felt like buying another disk to test a theory.

I run a three disk RAID 0 array currently as we speak although the disks I am running are some second used rate seagate 7200rpm and bottom rung WD HDD and still it boots windows to desktop fully warmed up in under a min so I am happy with the performance and about the third HDD anything after 2 HDD in RAID 0 give diminishing returns however the third disk will make it notable faster.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 17, 2011 2:40:36 AM

LOL economic spinoff while I was gone
Under a minute vs ~15 seconds? Whatever you're willing to spend money on.
m
l
December 17, 2011 2:47:17 AM

kajabla said:
LOL economic spinoff while I was gone
Under a minute vs ~15 seconds? Whatever you're willing to spend money on.

I can wait 45secs for Windows to full boot up LOL.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
December 17, 2011 3:06:03 AM

mjohnson24 said:
To headspin and anyone else, if you wanna discuss this government issue then you or yall will need to go else where. I didnt start this thread to start an argument about government spending or anything else. I started it to talk about HDD vs SSD so with that you really need to go somewhere else. NOT HERE!!

If you can afford a SSD then you have to get one for the OS and you won't be sorry and you won't go back to mechanical hdd's for your OS again. The mechanical hdd's are good for bachup and storage , speed and performance is with SSD'S , and while it is hard to get a lot of capacity with a SSD , as long as the OS is on it your system will be overall faster.
m
l
!