First up, these are my specs:

MOBO: Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD FX-8150
GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC
RAM: Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB/1866)
HDD: OCZ Agility 60GB
PSU: Gigabyte Superb 720W
Case: Corsair 500R

Now, I've been overclocking the GPU (which is the easiest). From the default, I've brought it up to 1160 core clock and 1550 mem clock, with 1.2. When I push it past 1170, I see artifacts. If I leave it at this overclock, it's stable. However, my RAM is stuck at 1333 by default. I have to go into the BIOS and select 1866. The moment I do this, though, I either get a black screen, or a BSOD, or something else goes wrong with the OS. I don't get it. I should also mention that I push the PowerTune slider all the way to 20 in Sapphire TriXX.

Same thing happens when I try to OC my CPU. A tiny OC will be fine. But if I push it to 3.8, then it'll hang, or BSOD.

Is this because of my PSU? Because (and I found this out only after I bought the PSU - I put the least amount of research into the PSU) it's apparently peak 720W, but average 610W.

Should I be buying a better PSU? Or is it something else that's causing this?

-Shan

More about : power supply issue

a b À AMD
a c 122 ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2012 6:31:59 AM

The artifacts you see when OC your GPU is a sign your pushing it to hard i would also buy a better PSU this is overkill but right now you can get a great deal on this $94.99 $74.99 after rebate PC Power & Cooling PPCMK2S750 Silencer Mk II Power Supply - 750W, 80 Plus Silver, 135mm Fan, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active PFC http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
July 21, 2012 6:36:19 AM

Yup, I know. Which is why I dropped it back down to just 1160 core clock. From there it's stable. But, the moment I select 1866Mhz for my RAM from the BIOS, it becomes unstable. It's like I have to choose either to OC my RAM or my GPU or CPU. I can't seem to do two at once. Why is that? I'm sure it's not got to do with heat. Because I've been monitoring my temps, and they're not crazy hot.

Heck, I'm not even actually OC'ing my RAM. I'm just selecting the factory speed from the BIOS ('cause for some reason they initially register as 1333). I keep my timings at 9-9-9-24. I even tried 9-10-9-27. It's still the same. If my GPU is overclocked, I can't OC my RAM. I'm guessing this is a PSU issue, I just need someone else to confirm this.

-Shan
a b À AMD
a c 122 ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2012 6:42:48 AM

firefiber said:
Yup, I know. Which is why I dropped it back down to just 1160 core clock. From there it's stable. But, the moment I select 1866Mhz for my RAM from the BIOS, it becomes unstable. It's like I have to choose either to OC my RAM or my GPU or CPU. I can't seem to do two at once. Why is that? I'm sure it's not got to do with heat. Because I've been monitoring my temps, and they're not crazy hot.

Heck, I'm not even actually OC'ing my RAM. I'm just selecting the factory speed from the BIOS ('cause for some reason they initially register as 1333). I keep my timings at 9-9-9-24. I even tried 9-10-9-27. It's still the same. If my GPU is overclocked, I can't OC my RAM. I'm guessing this is a PSU issue, I just need someone else to confirm this.

-Shan
I am guessing it's your PSU to but let's wait for some more reply's because i am unsure just like you. :??: 
!