Sign in with
Your question

Keep getting a hardrive failure warning telling me to backup my drive.

Last response: in Storage
December 15, 2011 8:46:12 PM

SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device

is the hard drive I have. And it keeps saying i need to backup my stuff b/c my harddrive could be failing? I have windows 7 and the harddrive is maybe 4 months old. What should I do? Is there a warranty on it most likely?
a c 261 G Storage
December 16, 2011 12:01:46 AM

Back up important Data! 4 months old then still under warranty! Check for a manufacturers utility at their website and run diagnostics on it.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 12:24:15 AM

What is telling you that your hard drive is failing? Check your hard drive with the manufacturers diagnostic software.
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2011 12:32:30 AM

'It' is telling you to back up?

The hard drive won't be telling you anything directly, it will be some software. What software?

Granted I don't use windows much anymore, but I never had or used any continually monitoring HDD software. Just a drain on resources really. Predicting HDD failure is almost impossible. SMART monitors can only give you a rough guide as the the 'health' of a drive.

My 1st thought is it may be a virus/malware. "Your HDD is failing, download free software to backup!"

If the drive is failing, a warranty will cover replacement, any data loss is tough luck. The warranty does not a cover a drive that is "about to fail".
m
l
December 16, 2011 6:22:35 PM

its just telling me to back stuff up b/c they might be a problem with my harddrive. I dont have any important information. Its the windows 7 software telling me my hard drive might be failing.
m
l
December 23, 2011 12:38:36 AM

any ideas on this???
m
l
a b G Storage
December 23, 2011 12:53:15 AM

Do what pjmelect suggest
m
l
!