Noctua NH-C14 position on ASUS P8P67 Deluxe

Hey all,

Ok so I found my i2600k temps running a bit high so yesterday I decided to add a top 140mm exhaust fan, which my Lian-Li PC-9F case provided space for.

In the same process, I dismounted my Noctua NH-C14 and applied some new Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. When dismounting the Noctua, I noticed that the pipes were facing towards the front of the case. As I thought they would be better facing to the back (as then the heat can be easier extracted by the rear exhaust fan), I decided to mount it back with the pipes facing to the rear.

But unfortunately in that configuration the bottom fan of the NH-C14 doesn't clear my RAM modules, so I decided to remove the bottom fan, so I'm now running the "High-Clearance" mode of the NH-C14.

Together with the top exhaust I now achieve reasonable temperatures (30° at idle, at 4.4 Ghz).

Now a few questions for you guys with experience with these components:

1) Is there any temp difference in running the Noctua NH-C14 in single or dual fan mode ?
2) Is it indeed recommended to have the pipes facing the back, or will I achieve better temps with the pipes facing the front but with dual fans ?
3) Say I decide to alter the NH-C14 configuration in the next few days again. By dismounting it, should I apply new thermal paste again (first wiping off the old one) or is the paste still fresh enough to be left alone ?

Thanks for any replies guys !

TJ
15 answers Last reply
More about noctua position asus p8p67 deluxe
  1. Whats your RAM model?
  2. CORSAIR Cmz8gx3m2a1600c8 8gb Kit (2x4gb) 1600mhz Ddr3 Vengeance Series
  3. Yeah, u cannot remove the fins on that one : )
  4. how about you remove the ram and place them in the 2nd and 4th slot
  5. Will have a look but I think they are already as far to the front as they can be...
  6. He might be using the slot A2 and B2 already,

    as that is recommended config. for 2 sticks.
  7. you might just need to use only 1 stick untill you can get low profile ram
  8. He would have to use the second slot most likely.
  9. If I turn the noctua back around, with the pipes facing the front (and thus the RAM modules), the bottom fan can be attached without problem. But I worry that this is a lesser optimal config for airflow and cooling.

    What do you think ?
  10. tjeuten said:
    If I turn the noctua back around, with the pipes facing the front (and thus the RAM modules), the bottom fan can be attached without problem. But I worry that this is a lesser optimal config for airflow and cooling.

    What do you think ?

    Do u have it like this? Did u try it?
  11. In this picture it's facing the top apparently... I've read somewhere on a forum that it should only be facing back or front, but not facing top.

    Found back the post: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=340416
  12. nikorr said:
    Do u have it like this? Did u try it?
    http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=29234

    I don't recommend installing it this way, reason here http://www.noctua.at/pdf/manuals/noctua_nh_c14_manual_en.pdf (in the bottom right corner)
    1) there is a temp difference and i recommend using 2 fans because i doubt your memory needs the extra cooling.
    2) I recommend u install it this way.
    3) Clean the cpu and heatsink and add new thermal-paste. Because it will leave air bubbles between the cpu and heatsink, which isnt good.

    Hope this helped, I have the same cpu and mobo as u, and had the same cpu cooler, but the contact surface was *** in it, but was still a great cooler, i changed it to h100 for other reasons.
  13. deaddis said:
    I don't recommend installing it this way, reason here http://www.noctua.at/pdf/manuals/noctua_nh_c14_manual_en.pdf (in the bottom right corner)
    1) there is a temp difference and i recommend using 2 fans because i doubt your memory needs the extra cooling.
    2) I recommend u install it this way.
    3) Clean the cpu and heatsink and add new thermal-paste. Because it will leave air bubbles between the cpu and heatsink, which isnt good.

    Hope this helped, I have the same cpu and mobo as u, and had the same cpu cooler, but the contact surface was *** in it, but was still a great cooler, i changed it to h100 for other reasons.


    Thanks.

    By saying "I recommend u install it this way" you mean .... the heatpipes facing to the front (so over the RAM modules) so I can still use the second fan ?
  14. tjeuten said:
    Thanks.

    By saying "I recommend u install it this way" you mean .... the heatpipes facing to the front (so over the RAM modules) so I can still use the second fan ?

    Yes, you can use the second fan that way.
  15. deaddis said:
    Yes, you can use the second fan that way.


    Allright thanks will try
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Fan Overclocking