Noctua NH-C14 position on ASUS P8P67 Deluxe

tjeuten

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Hey all,

Ok so I found my i2600k temps running a bit high so yesterday I decided to add a top 140mm exhaust fan, which my Lian-Li PC-9F case provided space for.

In the same process, I dismounted my Noctua NH-C14 and applied some new Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. When dismounting the Noctua, I noticed that the pipes were facing towards the front of the case. As I thought they would be better facing to the back (as then the heat can be easier extracted by the rear exhaust fan), I decided to mount it back with the pipes facing to the rear.

But unfortunately in that configuration the bottom fan of the NH-C14 doesn't clear my RAM modules, so I decided to remove the bottom fan, so I'm now running the "High-Clearance" mode of the NH-C14.

Together with the top exhaust I now achieve reasonable temperatures (30° at idle, at 4.4 Ghz).

Now a few questions for you guys with experience with these components:

1) Is there any temp difference in running the Noctua NH-C14 in single or dual fan mode ?
2) Is it indeed recommended to have the pipes facing the back, or will I achieve better temps with the pipes facing the front but with dual fans ?
3) Say I decide to alter the NH-C14 configuration in the next few days again. By dismounting it, should I apply new thermal paste again (first wiping off the old one) or is the paste still fresh enough to be left alone ?

Thanks for any replies guys !

TJ

tjeuten

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
If I turn the noctua back around, with the pipes facing the front (and thus the RAM modules), the bottom fan can be attached without problem. But I worry that this is a lesser optimal config for airflow and cooling.

What do you think ?

Do u have it like this? Did u try it?
imageview.php

deaddis

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

I don't recommend installing it this way, reason here http://www.noctua.at/pdf/manuals/noctua_nh_c14_manual_en.pdf (in the bottom right corner)
1) there is a temp difference and i recommend using 2 fans because i doubt your memory needs the extra cooling.
2) I recommend u install it this way.
3) Clean the cpu and heatsink and add new thermal-paste. Because it will leave air bubbles between the cpu and heatsink, which isnt good.

Hope this helped, I have the same cpu and mobo as u, and had the same cpu cooler, but the contact surface was *** in it, but was still a great cooler, i changed it to h100 for other reasons.

tjeuten

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Thanks.

By saying "I recommend u install it this way" you mean .... the heatpipes facing to the front (so over the RAM modules) so I can still use the second fan ?

deaddis

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

Yes, you can use the second fan that way.