Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Do the corsair closed loops help with case cooling?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 21, 2012 9:03:07 AM

Playing BF3, my graphics card runs at 90 degrees Celsius because of hot ambient temps and case cooling. My case is the haf 922 and I do not have a side fan installed, I will think about it later. For now I need to change the cooling in my case. I am starting to tackle the cpu cooling first. I was going to change my cpu cooler anyway, but I was going to get the Noctua nh-d14 because I know it is the best air cooler around.

However, I heard something about the water cooling kits create less heat in your case, especially around the cpu area because there no longer is a huge heatsink that becomes hot. Is this true and if yes, is it a significant amount of decrease in heat?

-Thanks-

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2012 9:22:31 AM

It depends on how they are set up. a real water cooling setup probably would, however corsair closed loop coolers perform worse than quality air coolers and cost more. Their instructions also say to mount it pulling air in which actually makes case temperatures higher. Lots of people just reverse it though. Either way it won't help much as all as the CPU is above the gpu.

Side and front intake fans would do more for your gpu. You can also set a custom fan profile for the gpu as sometimes they don't ramp the fan speed up soon enough or high.enough.

Another option is to undervolt your gpu a little or possibly underclock if it won't run stable, or lower I your settings and enable vsync.

I'd go more case fans and crank up the gpu fan if needed. 90° isn't great. But its not gonna hurt it either if that's the peak temp and I am sure you can get it down into the 80s with better case fans
Share
a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2012 12:53:17 PM

What GPU are you using? What is the present air intake and exhaust configuration that you have?
Score
0
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 21, 2012 2:58:27 PM

This is an issue of case airflow or a poor performing GPU cooler; not a CPU cooler.

Remove the side panel of your case. Blow a desk fan on HIGH into the case, repeat your tests. If your temps go down, you have a case airflow problem. If your temps still remain the same, you have a cooler problem on your GPU.
Score
0
July 22, 2012 12:07:09 AM

rubix_1011 said:
This is an issue of case airflow or a poor performing GPU cooler; not a CPU cooler.

Remove the side panel of your case. Blow a desk fan on HIGH into the case, repeat your tests. If your temps go down, you have a case airflow problem. If your temps still remain the same, you have a cooler problem on your GPU.


I put a desk fan near my case, with the side panel removed, and temps went to 75-85, better than the 85-90, I was getting. I have 1 200mm intake fan in the front, 1 200mm exhaust fan on top, and 1 120mm exhaust fan in the back. I have nothing on the side.

I was thinking of getting a 200mm side fan, but I don't know if it will change much.


Someone told me getting a liquid cooling system means that you don't have a huge heatsink spreading heat everywhere in the case. Plus, it makes room for more airflow going through that area and around the gpu, because the gpu is under a hyper 212 evo heatsink, that blocks airflow to the top.

I will play with the 200mm fan on the side and putting a 120mm fan on top and seeing if it makes a difference. If not, I'll stick to my side panel being removed with a desk fan being next to the side of the case.

~Thanks for the help.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
July 22, 2012 4:18:23 AM

I use a HAF 922 with the fans that come with it. The only extra fan that I am using is a base 120mm intake fan with a speed controller , I think it's a silverstone one. That's the reason for asking what GPU you're using, so we can get a picture of where you might need more air in from.
Score
0
July 22, 2012 5:29:03 AM

This is a pic of the inside of the rig, except the cpu fan is changed with a noctua nf-f12 pwm fan and I inserted cathodes, where I used the bottom 120mm fan mount in the case to tie the cathode wires and module thing to.
I moved the top 200mm fan to the side and i put a 120mm fan on top. the 200mm fan didn't make much of a difference in temp, usual gpu temp was 85-89 as intake or 83-87ish when i put as exhaust. Only effective thing is putting a desk fan next to my rig with the side panel removed.


picture more close-up
http://i48.tinypic.com/334j6li.jpg

This is the gpu.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Score
0
a b K Overclocking
July 22, 2012 5:38:03 AM

That looks like a single slot gpu..... or then why do I get the feeling that the back IO plate is on under the first slot of the card?
Score
0
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 22, 2012 6:07:55 AM

Dual slot^^

Closed loop coolers actually add extra heat into the case (thin tubes), unlike real water cooling which uses much better tubing barely gives any heat, none if the loop is good.
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
July 22, 2012 6:30:17 AM

I know it's a dual slot one.... but check out the pic closely.....
Looks like maybe the card didn't get tightly fixed and he shoved the strip that covers the back expansion slot just above the vent of the GPU to secure it further....
Score
0
July 22, 2012 9:04:31 AM

That slot you point to is not being used at all. The card uses 2 slots, there's just one screw holding it in, not 2 screws, so it looks like it's using 1 slot.
Score
0
July 22, 2012 9:05:45 AM

amuffin said:
Dual slot^^

Closed loop coolers actually add extra heat into the case (thin tubes), unlike real water cooling which uses much better tubing barely gives any heat, none if the loop is good.


isn't it less heat than a huge heatsink though? I found someone mod a h80 to be a VGA cooler. I'm going to look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz8370KD4CM&feature=rela...

Is this^ better than a 55 dollar air cooler for the gpu? I'll find a used h80 for like 60 bucks and do what this guy did. Seems worth it.

found this with an antec 620
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnOS5jMwoPM

Edit: oh yeah the vram chips won't get cooled as good with these...... must find a way to mount a fan or something. Perhaps a side fan will provide enough air to the vram chips. I want to give this project an effort, if it is good at the end. What do you guys think?

Found this guy to sell antec 620 or h50/h70 fan mounts for the gpu's. There's mounts that have fan attachment.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1237219/tript-cc-620-920-h50...


Anyway, if I can get my gpu 5-10 degrees cooler, water cooling isn't necessary for me. If there isn't anything I can do, water cooling is a last resort.
Score
0
July 22, 2012 7:16:07 PM

to be honest i have used cheap air coolers, expensive air coolers, close water loop cooler, and custom water loop. Out of all of them obviously the custom water loop is the optimal way to go but the most expensive. If you want cpu and gpu temps down over all the best way is to add a window shaker, or stand up AC unit to the room you play in. this will reduce ambient temp and bring EVERYTHING down substantially. you can usually find window shakers for 50 -60$. if you want to spend the money go with a custom water cooling loop with a ac as well. My temps for gpu on my 580gtx oc'd to 950mhz core are 39c with AC running keeping room at 19c. prior to this i just had a reference cooler on it and with reference cooler without ac i would get into mid 70's with my fan speed cranked to 80% which is quite noisy. Also from reading the post above i would also recommend to add the 200m fan on the side of your case as well. I have one of my rigs run that same case with a i5 760 ( 4ghz ), and a 570 gtx oc'd ( 925mhz ) and it is just running on a reference cooler and it never goes above 63c as long as my ac is on when i am playing.
Score
0
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 22, 2012 8:12:48 PM

Add more fans!
Score
0
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2012 4:13:08 AM

Ah, OK.
So the only solution for you seems to be to add more fans, one in the base of the case, provided that you have enough open space beneath the case, as an intake and one 200mm side intake. This ought to reduce the temps of the GPU quite a bit.
Score
0
July 23, 2012 6:00:58 AM

Deeks said:
to be honest i have used cheap air coolers, expensive air coolers, close water loop cooler, and custom water loop. Out of all of them obviously the custom water loop is the optimal way to go but the most expensive. If you want cpu and gpu temps down over all the best way is to add a window shaker, or stand up AC unit to the room you play in. this will reduce ambient temp and bring EVERYTHING down substantially. you can usually find window shakers for 50 -60$. if you want to spend the money go with a custom water cooling loop with a ac as well. My temps for gpu on my 580gtx oc'd to 950mhz core are 39c with AC running keeping room at 19c. prior to this i just had a reference cooler on it and with reference cooler without ac i would get into mid 70's with my fan speed cranked to 80% which is quite noisy. Also from reading the post above i would also recommend to add the 200m fan on the side of your case as well. I have one of my rigs run that same case with a i5 760 ( 4ghz ), and a 570 gtx oc'd ( 925mhz ) and it is just running on a reference cooler and it never goes above 63c as long as my ac is on when i am playing.


I don't think a window shaker is necessary. I use a room fan on the side of my case opened, and it helps. The 200mm fan on the side doesn't help much, the room fan pointed near the side of the case, works best. I have temps usually in 80-83 with the room fan pointed to the side of the case. This is good comparing to the 87-90 I was getting.

@above, does a 120mm CM sickleflow help by adding it to the bottom of the case? I'll test it out tomorrow with an old hyper 212 evo cpu fan I have.

Just saying, does an h80 or antec 620 mounted on a VGA, seem like a good idea? You can use zip ties to hold it together.
Score
0
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 23, 2012 6:10:00 AM

If you do that, make sure to buy VRM sinks.
Score
0
July 23, 2012 5:54:34 PM

The window shaker might not be necessary but you will yield huge temp differences by bringing the ambient temp of the room down 5 - 10c. The only reason i suggested it is because you mentioned you have high ambient temps and the reduction of your ambient temp can change your case temps expediently. Also just as amuffin has said if you do decide to use the closed loop water cooled cpu cooler and mount them to your gpu you will need VRM heatsinks or else you can run into overheating issues. Depending on your GPU 80 load temps are not to bad if you are running say a 480 gtx, 580 gtx.
Score
0
July 24, 2012 1:27:19 PM

unksol said:
It depends on how they are set up. a real water cooling setup probably would, however corsair closed loop coolers perform worse than quality air coolers and cost more. Their instructions also say to mount it pulling air in which actually makes case temperatures higher. Lots of people just reverse it though. Either way it won't help much as all as the CPU is above the gpu.

Side and front intake fans would do more for your gpu. You can also set a custom fan profile for the gpu as sometimes they don't ramp the fan speed up soon enough or high.enough.

Another option is to undervolt your gpu a little or possibly underclock if it won't run stable, or lower I your settings and enable vsync.

I'd go more case fans and crank up the gpu fan if needed. 90° isn't great. But its not gonna hurt it either if that's the peak temp and I am sure you can get it down into the 80s with better case fans



where are you getting your figures from#? A quality closed loop 240mm watercooler will beat or at the very least mach the best air cooler.
Score
0
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 25, 2012 3:01:38 AM

But, it will cost $20-40 more^^
Score
0
a c 78 K Overclocking
July 27, 2012 11:01:35 PM

so has the OP resolved the issue?

@ alexander0884 - the C.L.C's are a total waste of tinkering time and hard earned money.
@ everyone else + OP - the issue is with the GPU's stock cooler from EVGA. The cooler apparently looks cool and all but the funny part is that the cooler blows 50~60% of the GPU's heat produced inside the case or is recycled inside the coolers plastic shroud.

The only effective way is to get an after market cooler by zalman, gelid or arctic cooling. They will be far better than what you have on now.

The other route is go watercooling but go the "real-deal" route where you cool cpu and gpu together. Not get a H80 thinking that its a good buy for less than $80. In fact having a fan blow ontop of bare gpu PCB is only about 10~20% effective at removing heat as opposed to having VRM sinks on them.

You do the math, H80 plus stick-on ram sinks from frozencpu+shipping...meh. I'd pass up on that and blow on the GPU myself. Save me the dough.

My 2 cents.

* sorry to revive a necro'd 4 day old thread.

** to answer thread title question: no they don't help out in case cooling. If they do then the heat up the component they were supposed to cool.
Score
0
August 16, 2012 2:47:52 AM

Best answer selected by mazchazo.
Score
0
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 16, 2012 3:18:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Rubix_1011
Score
0
!