jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I'm hearing a lot about how XP uses more Ram, why not just shut down all the running programes, or some of them? I have Win98se and shut of everything accept Explorer and my DSL connection, in run (msconfig)sure it can be a pain when something what run and you have turn it back on again, but that's tweaking. I even go as fare as disabling Virtual Memory, though I have 512 of it, and seem to have plenty of room to spare. Of course I don't open a twillion things. Anyways my 2 cent about XP and Ram.

defrage is child's play-fdisk

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I like to have all the programs I use throughout the day open all the time, on the taskbar, so 512MB seems to be a must for me. 256MB gives me a lot of swapping.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
2 points here, I have 256 and dont have a lot of hdd access at all- of course thats really very dependent on what apps are being used, what background apps etc. As far as disableing, I really woulnt advise it, a lot of apps intentioneall use the swapfile.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers