electrosam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hello
I have PC with following configuration-
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Motherboard
GSKill DDR3 4GB 1333MHz RAM

I currently have 32 bit OS on it. I am trying to install Windows 7 Prof 32 bit.
When I insert DVD of it, it is not booting just keeps cursor flashing.
Also if I try to run setup from windows it gives error that it is not compatible with current OS.
Do we need to enable 64 bit from BIOS or something ?
Please help me out.
Thanks.

I'm going to assume that your DVD drive is the first device in the boot sequence... if so, try manually telling the BIOS to boot from the DVD (as in, bring up the menu where you can manually select which device to boot from, instead of simply waiting for the BIOS to boot from the DVD).

You cannot run the installer for a 64 bit copy of Windows from within an existing 32 bit version of Windows. You must boot from the DVD or flash drive to begin the install.

No, this should not be necessary.

-----------

If my first suggestion regarding the booting of your system from the DVD doesn't work, try making a bootable flash drive from your Windows 7 disk. Make sure the flash drive is at least 4GB in size.

You will need 2 utilities to create the bootable flash drive. The first, is a program to create ISO files from DVD disks. My favorite happens to be UltraISO. For your purposes, the trial version will be sufficient, so don't worry about having to buy the program.

The second utility is the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. This will allow you to take the ISO file you create with UltraISO, and apply it to your flash drive, similar to how Norton Ghost, or Acronis True Image would clone a hard drive. Once this is done, restart your computer and boot from the flash drive. The 7 installer should prompt you to hit a key to boot from the device as though you were booting from the DVD.

electrosam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Thanks for reply.
As you guided, I manually selected the boot drive by pressing F12.
And Setup started.
But at the point where we need to select HDD partition it given error as shown in attached image.
I tried to install SATA Drivers frm motherboard cd but it didn't succeeded.
Please guide me further.

LINK TO SNAPSHOT OF ERROR

http://i49.tinypic.com/iw2n3a.jpg

Please reply soon.
Thanks.

Ah - you said "I am trying to install Windows 7 Prof 32 bit". In that case, as others have said, you have to run the installer by booting from the DVD.

Is your DVD drive a SATA one? It may be that you need to interrupt the boot up by pressing F6 and installing drivers from a floppy or CD. Alternatively you can change the SATA mode to "IDE compatible" in the BIOS but then you loose some features of SATA.

Edit: One other possibility. Is this a Microsoft retail DVD or is it one that you have burned yourself? Apparently this problem is typical of a corrupt DVD.

electrosam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Thanks for reply.
Yes my DVD is SATA one.

Well and the DVD i have burned.

Please guide me further.

It might be worth trying to reburn the DVD. Presumably you have tried putting the driver disk for your DVD (edit - I probably mean motherboard here) in the drive when the message pops up? Does it have Windows 7 drivers on it? If not you may need to find a driver for your particular drive from the Internet.

(Edit again: You can find the drivers here.)

electrosam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Thanks for reply.
I tried inserting motherboard disk.
But it didn't worked.
Please guide me further.
Thanks.

Are you sure that your motherboard disk has the Windows 7 drivers on it? If not, try downloading them from the link I gave. Otherwise, try reburning the DVD.

Edit: Another thought - try pressing F6 as soon as the DVD starts to load and installing the driver then, rather than waiting for the error message.

iv seen this before - it seems either earlier versions of microsoft windows 7 disc/images are bad or when you burn it it does this, try re-downloading the windows 7 image from another source or re-burn a copy and retry - i downloaded another image and issue solved for me - may have been the burn or the image at fault im not sure but i solved it.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/10/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/ - direct links

if its illegal/wrong to download and/or supply the links i have my apollogies to THG forums and mods, and remove it but i believe it isnt so ill post it.