ReplayTV activation hacks

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 11, 2004 12:11:22 AM

NO BS - anybody have any real info they can share about bypassing the
activation process??? I have a 2020 that I'm transferring the
lifetime because it's having drive troubles.... would like the option
to try to fix and use the 2020 sometime - maybe using WIRNS via a
FRESCO setup. Are there any documented/working processes to
completely avoid connecting to DNNA and thereby retain the existing
lifetime on the 2020?

I know that some are going to bitch and moan about my request. If so,
save it for someone who cares.

thx
lmpk
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 8:43:53 AM

The 2020 was sold with a lifetime sub as they didn't unbundle the subs
back then. The 2020 activation isn't transferable to a new unit from
what I understand but if it is please let us know. Has anyone at DNNA
actually told you they'll do a transfer from a 2020?

From:Lump Kin
lumpkin666@hotmail.com

> NO BS - anybody have any real info they can share about bypassing the
> activation process??? I have a 2020 that I'm transferring the
> lifetime because it's having drive troubles.... would like the option
> to try to fix and use the 2020 sometime - maybe using WIRNS via a
> FRESCO setup. Are there any documented/working processes to
> completely avoid connecting to DNNA and thereby retain the existing
> lifetime on the 2020?
>
> I know that some are going to bitch and moan about my request. If so,
> save it for someone who cares.
>
> thx
> lmpk
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 9:40:26 AM

> NO BS - anybody have any real info they can share about bypassing the
> activation process??? I have a 2020 that I'm transferring the
> lifetime because it's having drive troubles.... would like the option
> to try to fix and use the 2020 sometime - maybe using WIRNS via a
> FRESCO setup. Are there any documented/working processes to
> completely avoid connecting to DNNA and thereby retain the existing
> lifetime on the 2020?

Wow. I was about to ask almost the same question. I have a 4500 with a
failed drive. So, I bought a larger drive, downloaded rtvpatch and the
image file for the 4500.

After a bit of messing around (the directions out there for doing this on a
Mac are rather shabby), I got rtvpatch to run. It said everything was
good. I plugged the new disk into the RTV. RTV booted without a problem.
But now when I try to do anything, it complains that I need to activate it.
If I go to the web site to activate it, I get an error that the machine is
already activated (which it is). How can I get past this?

If no one has an answer, I'll call support, but I suspect they won't help
since it wasn't an authorized drive switch.

The old disk wasn't completely dead. It was just acting really flaky. So
I figured it was safer to download a clean image than to try to save the
old OS from my disk. I did go back after the activiation page came up and
put the old disk on my computer. The drive seems to have died in the mean
time. I can't even get my machien to recognize that it's attached. If
this is the only way to get past this, I'll play some more and see if I can
get anything off the old drive.

Thanks.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695

"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message news:<dcoad.4715$Aa1.2120@twister.socal.rr.com>...
> The 2020 was sold with a lifetime sub as they didn't unbundle the subs
> back then. The 2020 activation isn't transferable to a new unit from
> what I understand but if it is please let us know. Has anyone at DNNA
> actually told you they'll do a transfer from a 2020?

I talked to a fellow who said they would do it, but didn't get his
name. He gave me a case # to reference my call with his notes in it
so that I could call back when I got my replacement box and get it
transferred. I have no reason to believe that they wouldn't transfer
the activation to the new box given that information.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 11:24:21 AM

Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com> wrote in message news:<e1pad.292598$bp1.11875@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> > NO BS - anybody have any real info they can share about bypassing the
> > activation process??? I have a 2020 that I'm transferring the
> > lifetime because it's having drive troubles.... would like the option
> > to try to fix and use the 2020 sometime - maybe using WIRNS via a
> > FRESCO setup. Are there any documented/working processes to
> > completely avoid connecting to DNNA and thereby retain the existing
> > lifetime on the 2020?
>
> Wow. I was about to ask almost the same question. I have a 4500 with a
> failed drive. So, I bought a larger drive, downloaded rtvpatch and the
> image file for the 4500.
>
> After a bit of messing around (the directions out there for doing this on a
> Mac are rather shabby), I got rtvpatch to run. It said everything was
> good. I plugged the new disk into the RTV. RTV booted without a problem.
> But now when I try to do anything, it complains that I need to activate it.
> If I go to the web site to activate it, I get an error that the machine is
> already activated (which it is). How can I get past this?
>
> If no one has an answer, I'll call support, but I suspect they won't help
> since it wasn't an authorized drive switch.
>
> The old disk wasn't completely dead. It was just acting really flaky. So
> I figured it was safer to download a clean image than to try to save the
> old OS from my disk. I did go back after the activiation page came up and
> put the old disk on my computer. The drive seems to have died in the mean
> time. I can't even get my machien to recognize that it's attached. If
> this is the only way to get past this, I'll play some more and see if I can
> get anything off the old drive.
>
> Thanks.

Was it a monthly sub before? If so, the activation message may be
because it's activation has expired and it needs to dial in to update.
You shouldn't loose lifetime activation from a disk change since the
activation is kept on an eeprom in the machine separate from the
drive.

Have you tried 243 zones to force it to net connect and update it's
activation? If you can stand being on hold for an eternity, call DNNA
tell them that your unit says it's not activated and ask them how to
get past that error - don't bother them with details of the drive
change, as it shouldn't be relevant to the problem.

Your issue is somewhat different than mine, in that my unit will still
know that it's activated (since the lifetime will still be on the
EEPROM) until it tries to connect to DNNA. Once it connects, their
system should say "oops, you're no longer a lifetime", and deactivate
it.

What I want to do should not be considered theft since I want to sever
my ties completely from their service and simply use the replay unit
(if I can repair it) with my own guide data (via wirns and fresco).
The problem is, I am not sure if I can effectively block all
communications with the RTV servers to keep it from trying to access
their network (thus causing theft of services?) and getting the
deactivation message. I need to know how to effectively block all
communicatins with the RTV server AND automatically create the correct
communications on my internal network to emulate what my RTV unit
expects so that it will continue to run correctly.

TIA for your help.
lmpk
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 2:12:12 PM

Larry Moss wrote:
>>NO BS - anybody have any real info they can share about bypassing the
>>activation process??? I have a 2020 that I'm transferring the
>>lifetime because it's having drive troubles.... would like the option
>>to try to fix and use the 2020 sometime - maybe using WIRNS via a
>>FRESCO setup. Are there any documented/working processes to
>>completely avoid connecting to DNNA and thereby retain the existing
>>lifetime on the 2020?
>

> Wow. I was about to ask almost the same question. I have a 4500 with a
> failed drive. So, I bought a larger drive, downloaded rtvpatch and the
> image file for the 4500.
>
> After a bit of messing around (the directions out there for doing this on a
> Mac are rather shabby), I got rtvpatch to run. It said everything was
> good. I plugged the new disk into the RTV. RTV booted without a problem.
> But now when I try to do anything, it complains that I need to activate it.
> If I go to the web site to activate it, I get an error that the machine is
> already activated (which it is). How can I get past this?

You don't activate it. You just do a net connect for the guide and the
machine is reset.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 2:45:27 PM

Greg wrote:
> A 2020 can only connect by phone ... don't plug in a phone cord. If you think
> it can leap across the room and connect itself, put in a bogus zip code.
> A lifetime machine should be able to do manual records forever but I am not
> sure what else it is good for without a network connection.
>
> BTW I have thought about this too .. with a 45xx/5xxx. Buy a non-activated
> machine cheap, switch the lifetime over to it and just use the old, still
> activated, machine for a streamer.
> Set it to phone connect and don't plug in the phone line.

I understand that concept (rtv can run as a standalone forever).
However, I would LIKE to use the scheduling features using MY OWN
schedule as derived from sources other than DNNA. You can do this by
using a linux box to emulate the local dialup connection and pass the
requests to a WiRNS server, which then, in turn proxies your requests
to the DNNA server and allows you to push your own schedule instead of
theirs. Unfortunately, WiRNS still requires communication with the
DNNA server to provide the appropriate hand-shaking information,
activation, and such. What I was hoping is that someone had
documented how one might create their own handshaking mechanisms and
avoid any connection to the DNNA server.

I do believe that in order to load the schedule information onto your
computer, the replay device expects certain information that is only
currently supplied by DNNA. I really don't care what that information
is, but it needs to be valid enough to allow the 2020 to get through
the schedule upload process.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 8:02:30 PM

In article <b44b3d69.0410110624.349725c8@posting.google.com>,
lumpkin666@hotmail.com (Lump Kin) wrote:

> What I want to do should not be considered theft since I want to sever
> my ties completely from their service and simply use the replay unit
> (if I can repair it) with my own guide data (via wirns and fresco).

No, that is theft.

Your license to use the software on their box is tied to your activation
with them. If you're not paid up, you can't use their software on their
box.
October 11, 2004 8:27:35 PM

>The problem is, I am not sure if I can effectively block all
>communications with the RTV servers

A 2020 can only connect by phone ... don't plug in a phone cord. If you think
it can leap across the room and connect itself, put in a bogus zip code.
A lifetime machine should be able to do manual records forever but I am not
sure what else it is good for without a network connection.

BTW I have thought about this too .. with a 45xx/5xxx. Buy a non-activated
machine cheap, switch the lifetime over to it and just use the old, still
activated, machine for a streamer.
Set it to phone connect and don't plug in the phone line.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 8:27:36 PM

On 11 Oct 2004 16:27:35 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>>The problem is, I am not sure if I can effectively block all
>>communications with the RTV servers
>
>A 2020 can only connect by phone ... don't plug in a phone cord. If you think
>it can leap across the room and connect itself, put in a bogus zip code.

The ZIP has no effect on the ability to connect. The error from a
bogus ZIP wouldn't be detected until AFTER the connection is made,
Perhaps you mean a bogus PHONE NUMBER. These are completely
independant. I often used different phone/ZIP combinations (such as a
number for Texas, where I am and a ZIP for New York, where I was
checking on listings for) when testing.

>A lifetime machine should be able to do manual records forever but I am not
>sure what else it is good for without a network connection.
>
>BTW I have thought about this too .. with a 45xx/5xxx. Buy a non-activated
>machine cheap, switch the lifetime over to it and just use the old, still
>activated, machine for a streamer.
>Set it to phone connect and don't plug in the phone line.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
October 11, 2004 11:32:05 PM

You are dialing with the PC modem?
Since this is a garden variety async connection, why not trace the line and see
what it sends?

I never tried the RNS server but I thought it could operate standalone.
October 12, 2004 12:57:47 AM

>Perhaps you mean a bogus PHONE NUMBER. These are completely
>independant.

My mistake sorry. I never used the dial up on my 4500. I just guessed it picked
up the number from the zip code. How do you know what a good number is when you
are starting from scratch?
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 12:57:48 AM

On 11 Oct 2004 20:57:47 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>>Perhaps you mean a bogus PHONE NUMBER. These are completely
>>independant.
>
>My mistake sorry. I never used the dial up on my 4500.

I now have 3 5xxx units (one a year and a half old), and have never
used phone with any of them (it's ethernet and a cable modem). My
information comes from using a 2020 (one of the first, it was a
substitution for a $700 2001), 3060, and a 30-hr Showstopper. BTW, I
still have the 2020 and 3060. The Showstopper is the only one that
failed.

> I just guessed it picked
>up the number from the zip code.

It doesn't (at least the older ones don't). There's no phone number
unless you're using the phoneline.

> How do you know what a good number is when you
>are starting from scratch?

Irrelevant for ethernet, it uses your existing internet connection.
For dial-up, it asks you to enter 6 digits of your number (as in
(903)657-xxxx), then dials a national toll-free number (built in to
the software) and gives you a list of applicable local numbers (check
on which are local to you). You might have to try 1-3 from the list.

I have several times used an older Replay to check on the guides for
other areas. I'd leave the number at 903-657 (correct for my area) and
enter the ZIP for the area I want to check on (like 10001 for New
York). It would dial the already set up number for my area (which is a
long way from NY) and get the guides for NY.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 4:23:27 AM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <b44b3d69.0410110624.349725c8@posting.google.com>,
> lumpkin666@hotmail.com (Lump Kin) wrote:
>

>>What I want to do should not be considered theft since I want to sever
>>my ties completely from their service and simply use the replay unit
>>(if I can repair it) with my own guide data (via wirns and fresco).
>

> No, that is theft.
>
> Your license to use the software on their box is tied to your activation
> with them. If you're not paid up, you can't use their software on their
> box.

I'd be interested where the license states this "fact" in an enforceable
manner.
October 12, 2004 4:28:15 AM

This is the best site I've found for doing what you are describing.

http://www.molehill.org/twiki/bin/view/Replay/

Because you have a lifetime activation, the cryptographic signing
should never be an issue for you.

On 11 Oct 2004 10:45:27 -0700, lumpkin666@hotmail.com (Lump Kin)
wrote:

>Greg wrote:
>> A 2020 can only connect by phone ... don't plug in a phone cord. If you think
>> it can leap across the room and connect itself, put in a bogus zip code.
>> A lifetime machine should be able to do manual records forever but I am not
>> sure what else it is good for without a network connection.
>>
>> BTW I have thought about this too .. with a 45xx/5xxx. Buy a non-activated
>> machine cheap, switch the lifetime over to it and just use the old, still
>> activated, machine for a streamer.
>> Set it to phone connect and don't plug in the phone line.
>>

>I understand that concept (rtv can run as a standalone forever).
>However, I would LIKE to use the scheduling features using MY OWN
>schedule as derived from sources other than DNNA. You can do this by
>using a linux box to emulate the local dialup connection and pass the
>requests to a WiRNS server, which then, in turn proxies your requests
>to the DNNA server and allows you to push your own schedule instead of
>theirs. Unfortunately, WiRNS still requires communication with the
>DNNA server to provide the appropriate hand-shaking information,
>activation, and such. What I was hoping is that someone had
>documented how one might create their own handshaking mechanisms and
>avoid any connection to the DNNA server.
>
>I do believe that in order to load the schedule information onto your
>computer, the replay device expects certain information that is only
>currently supplied by DNNA. I really don't care what that information
>is, but it needs to be valid enough to allow the 2020 to get through
>the schedule upload process.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 4:41:03 AM

Lump Kin wrote:

> NO BS - anybody have any real info they can share about bypassing the
> activation process??? I have a 2020 that I'm transferring the
> lifetime because it's having drive troubles.... would like the option
> to try to fix and use the 2020 sometime - maybe using WIRNS via a
> FRESCO setup. Are there any documented/working processes to
> completely avoid connecting to DNNA and thereby retain the existing
> lifetime on the 2020?
>
> I know that some are going to bitch and moan about my request. If so,
> save it for someone who cares.
>
> thx
> lmpk

No..... Not complaining. But it may be easier to do than you think.

I've no presonal expierence doing this but from other posts in this
newsgroup I gather that the uint's ID for registration/activation
purposes is stored on a chip, not on the Hard Drive, The chip dontains
NO info on the hard drive. So if you change/upgrade/add your hard drive
(add a 2nd drive) the activation registration does not change.

Thus, it remains activted.. In short. No problem

Or so they say
October 12, 2004 4:55:49 AM

>I gather that the uint's ID for registration/activation
>purposes is stored on a chip, not on the Hard Drive,

The serial number is on the chip, the software load on the drive gets selected
by what RTV thinks that S/N's activation status is when you load it.
They don't have a clue whether you are going to be lifetime or monthly when
they made that machine.
You can also upgrade a monthly to a lifetime without sending it in for a chip
transplant. There may be something "flashed" into the chip on activation but
whether that is on the chip or the drive is purely semantic. If you start with
a factory reset it should do that again.
I bet it is really just in the software load.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 4:55:50 AM

Greg wrote:

>>I gather that the uint's ID for registration/activation
>>purposes is stored on a chip, not on the Hard Drive,
>

> The serial number is on the chip, the software load on the drive gets selected
> by what RTV thinks that S/N's activation status is when you load it.
> They don't have a clue whether you are going to be lifetime or monthly when
> they made that machine.
> You can also upgrade a monthly to a lifetime without sending it in for a chip
> transplant. There may be something "flashed" into the chip on activation but
> whether that is on the chip or the drive is purely semantic. If you start with
> a factory reset it should do that again.
> I bet it is really just in the software load.

Some series were sold only activated 2ks, 3ks. ALL units check
activation status upon connecting.
October 12, 2004 6:35:56 AM

>Some series were sold only activated 2ks, 3ks. ALL units check
>activation status upon connecting.

Actually the RTV seems to check activation status every time you do anything
(based on my experience with my 45**) but I suppose you are talking about the
host server checking the S/N vs the database before it sends anything down the
pipe.
Some day I may buy another one to play with but I am just leaving mine alone
right now. I don't want any more complication in my life.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 6:35:57 AM

Greg wrote:
>>Some series were sold only activated 2ks, 3ks. ALL units check
>>activation status upon connecting.
>>

> Actually the RTV seems to check activation status every time you do anything
> (based on my experience with my 45**) but I suppose you are talking about the
> host server checking the S/N vs the database before it sends anything down the
> pipe.
> Some day I may buy another one to play with but I am just leaving mine alone
> right now. I don't want any more complication in my life.

There are many reasons why they check.

Your credit card might have expired so your monthly has run out.

Somebody could clone a drive every 10 days to get a new "grace period".

The unit might be stolen.

You may have transferred life activation and then tried to keep using
the other unit.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 8:41:01 AM

On 2004-10-11, Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com> wrote:
> Wow. I was about to ask almost the same question. I have a 4500 with a
> failed drive. So, I bought a larger drive, downloaded rtvpatch and the
> image file for the 4500.

ok, it turns out I misunderstood the original question and my problem is
not related. So I've changed the subject to separate it from the long
thread that the original poster intended.

> After a bit of messing around (the directions out there for doing this on a
> Mac are rather shabby), I got rtvpatch to run. It said everything was
> good. I plugged the new disk into the RTV. RTV booted without a problem.
> But now when I try to do anything, it complains that I need to activate it.
> If I go to the web site to activate it, I get an error that the machine is
> already activated (which it is). How can I get past this?

First, I want to thank everyone that responded. I had hoped to post a note
before I was bombarded with the (partial) answer when I realized what I
left out. I did need to force a net connect to finish the upgrade process.
Unfortunately, that's not as easy as it sounds since there's still a
problem with my machine that wasn't fixed with the new drive and clean OS.
This is a problem that existed before, but I hoped that starting over with
a blank disk would solve it. (There were other symptoms of a bad disk, so
the swap made sense.)

Here's the problem. I reboot (doesn't matter if it's a warm boot or if I
unplug it for a while). It comes up fine and does everythign it's supposed
to. I lose the network about 5 minutes after I reboot. If I force a
net connect immediately after rebooting, it connects to the network and
updates program guide information. Upon reboot, all other network
activities also work. DVArchive sees it as it should. A few minutes
later, all devices on the network continue to see each other except the
RTV. Nothing I do allows it to see the network again. The RTV still says
it has a network number from the DHCP server, so that's not it. I tried
configuring the network info statically as well, just in case.

Since it always works upon reboot for a few minutes without powering off
(and completely resetting hardware) I had assumed the problem was software
or a corrupt disk. But since I started with a completely clean disk and a
(presumably) clean OS image, that brings me back to hardware. I don't know
if the ethernet hardware is reaplaceable. I should have looked at it while
I had the box open.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
Airigami: The art of folding air in specially prepared latex containers.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 1:53:40 PM

Greg wrote:

>>I gather that the uint's ID for registration/activation
>>purposes is stored on a chip, not on the Hard Drive,
>

> The serial number is on the chip, the software load on the drive gets selected
> by what RTV thinks that S/N's activation status is when you load it.
> They don't have a clue whether you are going to be lifetime or monthly when
> they made that machine.
> You can also upgrade a monthly to a lifetime without sending it in for a chip
> transplant. There may be something "flashed" into the chip on activation but
> whether that is on the chip or the drive is purely semantic. If you start with
> a factory reset it should do that again.
> I bet it is really just in the software load.

This is all theory, I've no way to check it out, but I suspect when you
buy one of the 'Modern' units where you have a choice of monthly or
lifetime they simply program your UNIT ID (actually this is all done
automatically) into their computer as "lifetime" and then every night
when your RTV calls in for it's daily update it gets a "Good to play"
flag from it's "home base" and works.

In short... Nothing on the RTV itsel is different between monthly and
lifetime...it's all on Digital Networks end.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 1:58:41 PM

> Here's the problem. I reboot (doesn't matter if it's a warm boot or if I
> unplug it for a while). It comes up fine and does everythign it's supposed
> to. I lose the network about 5 minutes after I reboot. If I force a
> net connect immediately after rebooting, it connects to the network and
> updates program guide information. Upon reboot, all other network
> activities also work. DVArchive sees it as it should. A few minutes
> later, all devices on the network continue to see each other except the
> RTV. Nothing I do allows it to see the network again. The RTV still says
> it has a network number from the DHCP server, so that's not it. I tried
> configuring the network info statically as well, just in case.

There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so. By doing this you
insure that when a Replay reboots all parts of it get the same ip
address. There is a possibility you have a flaky network chip, but try
this first. Also do not warm boot the machine after you make all these
changes. Unplug for 10 minutes. When the unit starts up, it may take
5-10 minutes to boot for the first time.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:02:57 PM

> This is all theory, I've no way to check it out, but I suspect when you
> buy one of the 'Modern' units where you have a choice of monthly or
> lifetime they simply program your UNIT ID (actually this is all done
> automatically) into their computer as "lifetime" and then every night
> when your RTV calls in for it's daily update it gets a "Good to play"
> flag from it's "home base" and works.
>
> In short... Nothing on the RTV itsel is different between monthly and
> lifetime...it's all on Digital Networks end.

Correct. BUT when the unit authorizes, encrypted changes are made to the
registry. This is why a cloned disk is "unactivated" until the first
connect. Thereafter, the unit is "checked", but nothing happens unless
the server knows it SHOULD be activated but isn't.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 4:11:40 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:58:41 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>> Here's the problem. I reboot (doesn't matter if it's a warm boot or if I
>> unplug it for a while). It comes up fine and does everythign it's supposed
>> to. I lose the network about 5 minutes after I reboot. If I force a
>> net connect immediately after rebooting, it connects to the network and
>> updates program guide information. Upon reboot, all other network
>> activities also work. DVArchive sees it as it should. A few minutes
>> later, all devices on the network continue to see each other except the
>> RTV. Nothing I do allows it to see the network again. The RTV still says
>> it has a network number from the DHCP server, so that's not it. I tried
>> configuring the network info statically as well, just in case.
>>
>There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
>addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
>network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
>for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so.

Don't you mean DYNAMIC above? Using static is what casuse the problem
(the Replay still gets a dynamic address too).

I've been trying that for a week or so after finding a program that
allows that. It seems to significantly improved the stability of the
Replays.

> By doing this you
>insure that when a Replay reboots all parts of it get the same ip
>address. There is a possibility you have a flaky network chip, but try
>this first. Also do not warm boot the machine after you make all these
>changes. Unplug for 10 minutes. When the unit starts up, it may take
>5-10 minutes to boot for the first time.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
October 12, 2004 7:39:26 PM

>In short... Nothing on the RTV itsel is different between monthly and
>lifetime...it's all on Digital Networks end.

That is not really true. A lifetime machine gets a different software load. A
monthly has a poison pill in it that will kill the machine if you don't connect
and reset the activation timer every month. I have even had it trigger falsely
after a power failure. The machine becomes a vegetable.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 7:39:27 PM

Greg wrote:
>>In short... Nothing on the RTV itsel is different between monthly and
>>lifetime...it's all on Digital Networks end.
>

> That is not really true. A lifetime machine gets a different software load. A
> monthly has a poison pill in it that will kill the machine if you don't connect
> and reset the activation timer every month. I have even had it trigger falsely
> after a power failure. The machine becomes a vegetable.

Wrong, the software is identical in all respects.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 7:39:28 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:34:26 -0400, Tony D <Tony_D@nospam.com> wrote:

>Greg wrote:
>>>In short... Nothing on the RTV itsel is different between monthly and
>>>lifetime...it's all on Digital Networks end.
>>

>> That is not really true. A lifetime machine gets a different software load. A
>> monthly has a poison pill in it that will kill the machine if you don't connect
>> and reset the activation timer every month. I have even had it trigger falsely
>> after a power failure. The machine becomes a vegetable.
>
>Wrong, the software is identical in all respects.

The difference (for monthly & lifetime) would be a couple of bytes in
the on-board EEPROM. The arming and trigger controls for a logic bomb
(used for grace period and monthly activation).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 8:22:42 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>>That is not really true. A lifetime machine gets a different software load. A
>>>monthly has a poison pill in it that will kill the machine if you don't connect
>>>and reset the activation timer every month. I have even had it trigger falsely
>>>after a power failure. The machine becomes a vegetable.
>>
>>Wrong, the software is identical in all respects.
>

> The difference (for monthly & lifetime) would be a couple of bytes in
> the on-board EEPROM. The arming and trigger controls for a logic bomb
> (used for grace period and monthly activation).

It is an encrypted registry change.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 8:22:43 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:22:42 -0400, Tony D <Tony_D@nospam.com> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>>Wrong, the software is identical in all respects.
>>

>> The difference (for monthly & lifetime) would be a couple of bytes in
>> the on-board EEPROM. The arming and trigger controls for a logic bomb
>> (used for grace period and monthly activation).
>>
>It is an encrypted registry change.

and where is this data stored (HD or EEPROM)?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 8:25:30 PM

>>There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
>>addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
>>network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
>>for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so.
>

> Don't you mean DYNAMIC above? Using static is what casuse the problem
> (the Replay still gets a dynamic address too).

No. Using dynamic causes the problem when the different parts of the
replay ask for and each gets a different address.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 8:25:31 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:25:30 -0400, Tony D <Tony_D@nospam.com> wrote:

>>>There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
>>>addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
>>>network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
>>>for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so.
>>

>> Don't you mean DYNAMIC above? Using static is what casuse the problem
>> (the Replay still gets a dynamic address too).
>>

>No. Using dynamic causes the problem when the different parts of the
>replay ask for and each gets a different address.

OK. I first found the problems with dynamic when it would break port
forwarding (for IVS) 2-3 times a week by getting a different IP
(unlike the computers in the network). Static works better, but still
has problems because it will request a dynamic IP anyway.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
October 12, 2004 9:20:08 PM

>Wrong, the software is identical in all respects.

How can that possibly be true? Lifetime machines do not time out if they don't
connect regularly or if the clock gets corrupted.

Are you saying there is nothing but a flag bit that branches around the
activation timer on a lifetime?
Hello hackers! There is only one BOC you need to no-op?
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 9:20:09 PM

On 12 Oct 2004 17:20:08 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>>Wrong, the software is identical in all respects.
>
>How can that possibly be true? Lifetime machines do not time out if they don't
>connect regularly or if the clock gets corrupted.
>
>Are you saying there is nothing but a flag bit that branches around the
>activation timer on a lifetime?
>Hello hackers! There is only one BOC you need to no-op?

I don't have access to the source code, but from what I do see, there
could be 2 bytes in the EEPROM (on the Replay board) that act like
this:

byte 0: activation type:

00 = not activated. Unit won't do anything but connect
to the service to find out if it's activated

01 = grace period in effect. The difference between 1
and 2 is the information in the SETUP menu and
the nags given telling you to activate.

02 = limited-time (monthly) activation

03 = permanent (lifetime) activation

byte 1: activation days counter:

This is decremented every day unless already 0.
If byte 0 is 1 or 2, a logic bomb is armed and
decrementing this to 0 will cause the unit to be
deactivated (set byte 0 to 0).

Of course, there are other ways to do it.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 9:36:34 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>>Don't you mean DYNAMIC above? Using static is what casuse the problem
>>>(the Replay still gets a dynamic address too).
>>>

>>No. Using dynamic causes the problem when the different parts of the
>>replay ask for and each gets a different address.
>

> OK. I first found the problems with dynamic when it would break port
> forwarding (for IVS) 2-3 times a week by getting a different IP
> (unlike the computers in the network). Static works better, but still
> has problems because it will request a dynamic IP anyway.

Mark, as I stated you must ALSO set the DHCP server to use a reserved IP
address for the replay. This address must be the same as the static one
set up in the Replay. This way when the Replay HW requests an address
from the DHCP server on bootup it gives it the same address as the
static software setting in the Replay. Net result: all parts of the
Replay have the same address and no problemo.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 9:54:39 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:22:42 -0400, Tony D <Tony_D@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>>The difference (for monthly & lifetime) would be a couple of bytes in
>>>the on-board EEPROM. The arming and trigger controls for a logic bomb
>>>(used for grace period and monthly activation).
>>>

>>It is an encrypted registry change.
>

> and where is this data stored (HD or EEPROM)?

Hard disk
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 11:13:25 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:36:34 -0400, Tony D <Tony_D@nospam.com> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>>No. Using dynamic causes the problem when the different parts of the
>>>replay ask for and each gets a different address.
>>

>> OK. I first found the problems with dynamic when it would break port
>> forwarding (for IVS) 2-3 times a week by getting a different IP
>> (unlike the computers in the network). Static works better, but still
>> has problems because it will request a dynamic IP anyway.
>>
>Mark, as I stated you must ALSO set the DHCP server to use a reserved IP
>address for the replay. This address must be the same as the static one
>set up in the Replay.

That's ALMOST what I'm doing now. If you do that, there's no need to
set a static IP on the Replay. Dynamic works fine (and is easier,
since you just set that IP in 1 place), since the DHCP server is
always assigning the same IP to that MAC address. If there was any
other MAC address involved, it would show ip in this DHCP server's
log. I've been doing this for over a week now.

> This way when the Replay HW requests an address
>from the DHCP server on bootup it gives it the same address as the
>static software setting in the Replay. Net result: all parts of the
>Replay have the same address and no problemo.

Set the Replay to dynamic, less maintenance to worry about. The DHCP
server has been set to give a certain IP. It won't have any other.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:12:03 AM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:58:41 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>>There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
>>addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
>>network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
>>for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so.
>

> Don't you mean DYNAMIC above? Using static is what casuse the problem
> (the Replay still gets a dynamic address too).

No, Dynamic means that every time the Replay is re-booted it can grab a
different IP address... so today it's x.y.z.100, tomorrow it's x.y.z.102

Static or Fixed (Depending on your router) means that the MAC address
assoicated with your Replay is set by you to a specific address,,,, In
my case it's x.y.z.100 (Where x, y and z are the normal addresses of all
my networked hardware 192.168.0 in my case, 192.158.1 in my daughter's)

That's in the router settings.

Now... in the REPLAY's set up, yes you use dynamic addressing so it
grabs it's IP address from the router

Or you can set to fixed (giving the same address) it does not matter
which way you do it.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:12:04 AM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:12:03 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:58:41 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>>There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
>>>addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
>>>network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
>>>for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so.
>>

>> Don't you mean DYNAMIC above? Using static is what casuse the problem
>> (the Replay still gets a dynamic address too).
>

>No, Dynamic means that every time the Replay is re-booted it can grab a
>different IP address... so today it's x.y.z.100, tomorrow it's x.y.z.102
>
>Static or Fixed (Depending on your router) means that the MAC address
>assoicated with your Replay is set by you to a specific address,,,,

There seems to be some confusion here. I was talking about setting the
REPLAY to "dynamic IP". It's the DHCP server that needs to provide a
certain IP (static IP).

> In
>my case it's x.y.z.100 (Where x, y and z are the normal addresses of all
>my networked hardware 192.168.0 in my case, 192.158.1 in my daughter's)

It that a typo? The local addresses should all start with 192.168. The
next number can be different in different networks (usually
router-dependant).

>That's in the router settings.
>

>Now... in the REPLAY's set up, yes you use dynamic addressing so it
>grabs it's IP address from the router
>
>Or you can set to fixed (giving the same address) it does not matter
>which way you do it.

Yes, either will work. It's somewhat easier to use "dynamic". Not for
the equipment itself, but for the user. There's less to remember and
change when changing network setup. The same reason dynamic
addressing is easier with computers.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 8:43:01 AM

On 2004-10-12, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
> addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
> network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
> for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so. By doing this you
> insure that when a Replay reboots all parts of it get the same ip
> address. There is a possibility you have a flaky network chip, but try
> this first. Also do not warm boot the machine after you make all these
> changes. Unplug for 10 minutes. When the unit starts up, it may take
> 5-10 minutes to boot for the first time.

I used the Replay on this network for quite a while before this problem
cropped up. If my current problem is related to the bug you're talking
about, I wonder why I never ran into it before.

1. So, here's what I've done after reading the whole thread:

2. Set the router (netgear wgr614) to reserve the IP address for MAC address
of the RTV.

3. Set the RTV to dynamic addressing (the way it was).

4. Unplugged RTV for a while.

5. Rebooted. RTV got the IP it was supposed to.

As before, it worked for about 10 minutes. Then it disappears from the
network. So, I went back and did the whole thing again, but changed (3) to
the same static IP that the router is set to give it. Same thing happens.
It starts up fine. 10 minutes later, it fails.

The only thing I didn't do is change the lease time. It doesn't appear
that the router will let me do that. I'm not sure what the length of the
lease is, but that seems awfully short.

I suppose another thing to try is to turn off DHCP on the router completely
just to see what would happen. I can't keep it that way, but it might be
worth the experiment. the problem is, I've got a 1 year old in the house
and finding time that I can do anything is impossible. I get to try one
experiment a day, it seems.

thanks again for the help.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
Airigami: The art of folding air in specially prepared latex containers.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 9:05:44 AM

Let me make one more suggestion. Assuming you have less than 50 devices
that use DHCP, set the DHCP range as 2-50 (or higher if you need to).
Then set the Static address in the RTV to end in something like .88. You
don't need to set the address reservation. The RTV should connect and
use the new address although it won't show up in the "Attached Devices"
list which is only for DHCP.
Now you have the best of both worlds and, if the IP assignment truly
was your problem, it should be fixed.

From:Larry Moss
moss@airigami.com

> On 2004-10-12, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have
>> different IP addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip
>> addressses on a network that has a DHCP server. The server should be
>> set for reserved ip for the Replay and the lease time set to a week
>> or so. By doing this you insure that when a Replay reboots all parts
>> of it get the same ip address. There is a possibility you have a
>> flaky network chip, but try this first. Also do not warm boot the
>> machine after you make all these changes. Unplug for 10 minutes.
>> When the unit starts up, it may take 5-10 minutes to boot for the
>> first time.
>
> I used the Replay on this network for quite a while before this
> problem cropped up. If my current problem is related to the bug
> you're talking about, I wonder why I never ran into it before.
>
> 1. So, here's what I've done after reading the whole thread:
>
> 2. Set the router (netgear wgr614) to reserve the IP address for MAC
> address of the RTV.
>
> 3. Set the RTV to dynamic addressing (the way it was).
>
> 4. Unplugged RTV for a while.
>
> 5. Rebooted. RTV got the IP it was supposed to.
>
> As before, it worked for about 10 minutes. Then it disappears from
> the network. So, I went back and did the whole thing again, but
> changed (3) to the same static IP that the router is set to give it.
> Same thing happens. It starts up fine. 10 minutes later, it fails.
>
> The only thing I didn't do is change the lease time. It doesn't
> appear that the router will let me do that. I'm not sure what the
> length of the lease is, but that seems awfully short.
>
> I suppose another thing to try is to turn off DHCP on the router
> completely just to see what would happen. I can't keep it that way,
> but it might be worth the experiment. the problem is, I've got a 1
> year old in the house and finding time that I can do anything is
> impossible. I get to try one experiment a day, it seems.
>
> thanks again for the help.
>
> --
> Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
> PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
> Airigami: The art of folding air in specially prepared latex
> containers.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 10:37:57 AM

BruceR wrote:
> Let me make one more suggestion. Assuming you have less than 50 devices
> that use DHCP, set the DHCP range as 2-50 (or higher if you need to).
> Then set the Static address in the RTV to end in something like .88. You
> don't need to set the address reservation.

Yes, you do. Upon a restart the hw may request an ip which the server
will assign which will then be different than the static one set. This
scenario almost guarantees a problem will sometimes occur.

> The RTV should connect and
> use the new address although it won't show up in the "Attached Devices"
> list which is only for DHCP.
> Now you have the best of both worlds and, if the IP assignment truly
> was your problem, it should be fixed.
>
> From:Larry Moss
> moss@airigami.com
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:21:40 PM

In fact, the router (at least my Netgear MR814) won't allow an address
reservation to be set for a non-DHCP address. How do you do it? As long
as a static address has been defined in the RTV and that range is above
the DHCP range in the router, I've found that it works 100%. The RTV
will only request the static IP you've selected if you've set it up as
static rather than DHCP.

From:Tony D
nospam@nospam.com

> BruceR wrote:
>> Let me make one more suggestion. Assuming you have less than 50
>> devices that use DHCP, set the DHCP range as 2-50 (or higher if you
>> need to). Then set the Static address in the RTV to end in something
>> like .88. You don't need to set the address reservation.
>
> Yes, you do. Upon a restart the hw may request an ip which the server
> will assign which will then be different than the static one set. This
> scenario almost guarantees a problem will sometimes occur.
>
>> The RTV should connect and
>> use the new address although it won't show up in the "Attached
>> Devices" list which is only for DHCP.
>> Now you have the best of both worlds and, if the IP assignment truly
>> was your problem, it should be fixed.
>>
>> From:Larry Moss
>> moss@airigami.com
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:21:41 PM

BruceR wrote:
> In fact, the router (at least my Netgear MR814) won't allow an address
> reservation to be set for a non-DHCP address. How do you do it? As long
> as a static address has been defined in the RTV and that range is above
> the DHCP range in the router, I've found that it works 100%. The RTV
> will only request the static IP you've selected if you've set it up as
> static rather than DHCP.

I use static in the DHCP range with a reserved ip in the router. You
seem to think there is some "theory" involved here. There is none. It is
a documented fact. The hardware and the VXWorks operating system can get
2 different ip addresses. If you use DHCP ONLY unless you have a long
lease time, you'll get different ips.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:49:58 PM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 04:43:01 GMT, Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com>
wrote:

>On 2004-10-12, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have different IP
>> addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip addressses on a
>> network that has a DHCP server. The server should be set for reserved ip
>> for the Replay and the lease time set to a week or so. By doing this you
>> insure that when a Replay reboots all parts of it get the same ip
>> address. There is a possibility you have a flaky network chip, but try
>> this first. Also do not warm boot the machine after you make all these
>> changes. Unplug for 10 minutes. When the unit starts up, it may take
>> 5-10 minutes to boot for the first time.

My Replays were doing that too (disapperring from the network,
although local stuff still worked) until I got that static DHCP
program.

>I used the Replay on this network for quite a while before this problem
>cropped up. If my current problem is related to the bug you're talking
>about, I wonder why I never ran into it before.

Maybe you thought the Replay just needed rebooting, as they sometimes
do. I've had this happening for a long time.

>1. So, here's what I've done after reading the whole thread:
>
>2. Set the router (netgear wgr614) to reserve the IP address for MAC address
>of the RTV.

My router won't allow that. I disabled it's DHCP server and got a
program from http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm that
allows static IP assignments. This can run on any computer on your
network (of course that computer needs a static IP).

>3. Set the RTV to dynamic addressing (the way it was).
>
>4. Unplugged RTV for a while.
>
>5. Rebooted. RTV got the IP it was supposed to.
>
>As before, it worked for about 10 minutes. Then it disappears from the
>network.

Are you sure you set your router right? Does the Replay get the IP you
set? Does your router have a DHCP table you can check? That last thing
would allow you to see is the Replay is still getting a dynamic IP
other than the one you want.

> So, I went back and did the whole thing again, but changed (3) to
>the same static IP that the router is set to give it.

Won't help if the DHCP is working correctly. It just makes it more
complicated (you always have to set the IP in 2 places).

>Same thing happens.
>It starts up fine. 10 minutes later, it fails.
>
>The only thing I didn't do is change the lease time.

The program I'm using uses a very long lease time (which is fine for
statically assigned IPs). The leases seem to be good until January
2038.

> It doesn't appear
>that the router will let me do that. I'm not sure what the length of the
>lease is, but that seems awfully short.
>
>I suppose another thing to try is to turn off DHCP on the router completely
>just to see what would happen.

It might work, but then you'd have to set static IPs on the computers
too. How about trying that program I mentioned? I've been using it
since Oct 1, and the Replays have not disappeared from the network
even once in those 12 days.

> I can't keep it that way, but it might be
>worth the experiment. the problem is, I've got a 1 year old in the house
>and finding time that I can do anything is impossible. I get to try one
>experiment a day, it seems.
>
>thanks again for the help.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:52:20 PM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 05:05:44 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
wrote:

>Let me make one more suggestion. Assuming you have less than 50 devices
>that use DHCP, set the DHCP range as 2-50 (or higher if you need to).
>Then set the Static address in the RTV to end in something like .88. You
>don't need to set the address reservation. The RTV should connect and
>use the new address although it won't show up in the "Attached Devices"
>list which is only for DHCP.

However, when you do that it will use the static address AND get a
dynamic one (it's buggy that way). Check your router's "Attached
Devices" list after setting a static address on the Replay.

> Now you have the best of both worlds and, if the IP assignment truly
>was your problem, it should be fixed.
>
>From:Larry Moss
>moss@airigami.com
>
>> On 2004-10-12, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There is a well known bug that allows the hw and sw to have
>>> different IP addresses. Replays should be configured with static ip
>>> addressses on a network that has a DHCP server. The server should be
>>> set for reserved ip for the Replay and the lease time set to a week
>>> or so. By doing this you insure that when a Replay reboots all parts
>>> of it get the same ip address. There is a possibility you have a
>>> flaky network chip, but try this first. Also do not warm boot the
>>> machine after you make all these changes. Unplug for 10 minutes.
>>> When the unit starts up, it may take 5-10 minutes to boot for the
>>> first time.
>>
>> I used the Replay on this network for quite a while before this
>> problem cropped up. If my current problem is related to the bug
>> you're talking about, I wonder why I never ran into it before.
>>
>> 1. So, here's what I've done after reading the whole thread:
>>
>> 2. Set the router (netgear wgr614) to reserve the IP address for MAC
>> address of the RTV.
>>
>> 3. Set the RTV to dynamic addressing (the way it was).
>>
>> 4. Unplugged RTV for a while.
>>
>> 5. Rebooted. RTV got the IP it was supposed to.
>>
>> As before, it worked for about 10 minutes. Then it disappears from
>> the network. So, I went back and did the whole thing again, but
>> changed (3) to the same static IP that the router is set to give it.
>> Same thing happens. It starts up fine. 10 minutes later, it fails.
>>
>> The only thing I didn't do is change the lease time. It doesn't
>> appear that the router will let me do that. I'm not sure what the
>> length of the lease is, but that seems awfully short.
>>
>> I suppose another thing to try is to turn off DHCP on the router
>> completely just to see what would happen. I can't keep it that way,
>> but it might be worth the experiment. the problem is, I've got a 1
>> year old in the house and finding time that I can do anything is
>> impossible. I get to try one experiment a day, it seems.
>>
>> thanks again for the help.
>>
>> --
>> Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
>> PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695
>> Airigami: The art of folding air in specially prepared latex
>> containers.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:54:47 PM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 06:37:57 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>BruceR wrote:
>> Let me make one more suggestion. Assuming you have less than 50 devices
>> that use DHCP, set the DHCP range as 2-50 (or higher if you need to).
>> Then set the Static address in the RTV to end in something like .88. You
>> don't need to set the address reservation.
>
>Yes, you do. Upon a restart the hw may request an ip which the server
>will assign which will then be different than the static one set. This
>scenario almost guarantees a problem will sometimes occur.

Yes it does. I verified that by turning my Replays off, rebooting the
router, and then rebooting the Replays (both set for static IP). There
were still 2 entries in the DHCP table (assigned addresses). The MAC
addresses matched those on the Replays.

The static DHCP server program I found at
http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm works.

>> The RTV should connect and
>> use the new address although it won't show up in the "Attached Devices"
>> list which is only for DHCP.
>> Now you have the best of both worlds and, if the IP assignment truly
>> was your problem, it should be fixed.
>>
>> From:Larry Moss
>> moss@airigami.com

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:56:36 PM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:13:40 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>BruceR wrote:
>> In fact, the router (at least my Netgear MR814) won't allow an address
>> reservation to be set for a non-DHCP address. How do you do it? As long
>> as a static address has been defined in the RTV and that range is above
>> the DHCP range in the router, I've found that it works 100%. The RTV
>> will only request the static IP you've selected if you've set it up as
>> static rather than DHCP.
>>
>I use static in the DHCP range with a reserved ip in the router. You
>seem to think there is some "theory" involved here. There is none. It is
>a documented fact. The hardware and the VXWorks operating system can get
>2 different ip addresses. If you use DHCP ONLY unless you have a long
>lease time, you'll get different ips.

I turned off the DHCP in my router and used the program at
http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm . It creates a list of
MAC addresses and always assigns the same IP to that MAC.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:26:52 PM

Larry Moss wrote:

> The only thing I didn't do is change the lease time. It doesn't appear
> that the router will let me do that. I'm not sure what the length of the
> lease is, but that seems awfully short.

With Fixed, static or reserved IP addressing (Yet another name for it)
Lease time is meaningless... Or if you like, infinate

That IP will be reserved, or assigned to, that MAC every time for ever
or till you change it whichever comes first
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:26:53 PM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:26:52 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Larry Moss wrote:
>
>> The only thing I didn't do is change the lease time. It doesn't appear
>> that the router will let me do that. I'm not sure what the length of the
>> lease is, but that seems awfully short.
>
>With Fixed, static or reserved IP addressing (Yet another name for it)
>Lease time is meaningless... Or if you like, infinate
>
>That IP will be reserved, or assigned to, that MAC every time for ever
>or till you change it whichever comes first

Mine (with that program I'm talking about, at
http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm) say they last until
2038. I probably won't have any of the same devices then, but it would
renew to the same IPs.

!