Closed Solved

Does HD 4890 support Directx 11? As in support shader model 5.0?

Hi guys...please help me out..
I'm planning on buying either an HD4890 or a graphics card with direct X 11 support that takes a similar budget as a 4890..The purpose it absolutely for gaming. Please give some good advice for the best gaming experience :)
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about does 4890 support directx support shader model
  1. Hello and welcome to the forums :)
    I think by the other DX11 card you mean HD 5770,well overall HD 4890 is a faster card by like 20% so if you play at 1920x1200 or higher then go for HD 4890 otherwise go for HD 5770,it runs cooler and has got newer techs like DX11,Eyefinity etc
  2. Well, the 4890 doesn't support DX11, so that's a disadvantage for sure. I'd personally lean towards a 5770. It's a bit slower, but it uses less power, runs cooler, and fully supports DX11. If you can stretch your budget a bit, a 5850 is worth considering as well.

    The 4890's not a bad card though - you could definitely get one and be happy with it for quite a while.
  3. Maziar said:
    Hello and welcome to the forums :)
    I think by the other DX11 card you mean HD 5770,well overall HD 4890 is a faster card by like 20% so if you play at 1920x1200 or higher then go for HD 4890 otherwise go for HD 5770,it runs cooler and has got newer techs like DX11,Eyefinity etc


    Thanks Maziar.
    Yup I mean the 5770 and the 5870.
    I should've rephrased the question.
    My actual problem is whether HD 4890 as a Direct X 10/10.1 supporting VGA card, would run direct X 11.0 games on it?
  4. Quote:
    Hey Maziar,

    Listen tharindu90rulesVir, this guy will help you al the way.

    Maziar, give him your forum about GPU's. You kow more about this stuff than me! :)


    thanks man
  5. Best answer
    tharindu90rulesVir said:
    Thanks Maziar.
    Yup I mean the 5770 and the 5870.
    I should've rephrased the question.
    My actual problem is whether HD 4890 as a Direct X 10/10.1 supporting VGA card, would run direct X 11.0 games on it?

    Yes HD 4890 can run DX11 games but without the DX11 effects,what resolution are you going to play at ?
  6. Quote:
    Hey Maziar,

    Listen tharindu90rulesVir, this guy will help you al the way.

    Maziar, give him your forum about GPU's. You kow more about this stuff than me! :)

    Hey mate :)
    I don't know much,i just try to help others with their questions/problems :)
  7. Maziar said:
    Yes HD 4890 can run DX11 games but without the DX11 effects,what resolution are you going to play at ?


    The maximum possible allowed anyway under the vga...I'll be taking the 5870 then..I think I should have a vga with SM 5.0..It's not long before they'll be making games for the particular version which is definitely going to put me under the blankets for a couple of years till I go for a 5900 or so..Thanks for all answers guys :bounce:
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming Support Directx HD Graphics