AMD Phenom II X2 or Athlon II X4?

honomatopeya

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hello fellas!!

Heres a question for all of you

Im thinking about buying a CPU for my cousins birthday.. i dont want to expend more $$ on him than these ranges... so please don't recommend me that i7 things that i cant afford and won't give as present lol

So my question is

i want to give my cousin a gaming computer.. he says he was playing awesome with his Athlon 6000+ so i don't see a problem in giving him one of these because his happyness with the 6000.

1..... AMD Phenom II X2 555 Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor C3 revision..

2..... AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor

The system has a ATI 5' series, 500 gb 7200 rpm drive, ECS Black Series A785GM-M AM3 , and 4 gb DDR3 OCZ 1066.. PSU above 700 watts, good ventilation.

So... i would like you tell me if you would pick the 1 or # 2 cpu.. cant change any parts because the computer is not mine, just the cpu.

Thanks for your attention.

honomatopeya

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
If this benchmark is right... i don't see that much help from the L3 . In multi threat is better the athlon II X4 but in gaming the Phenom X2 seems to be a little better..

Anyway.. the Athlon II X4 is like 40 dlls more expensive.. Would the invest be recommended? or should i save those bucks as the results between both cpu are almost equal in gaming?

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
The 555 is a prime candidate for core unlocking, could turn a nice gift into an awesome gift.

Also, might want to consider a X25-V SSD, not that far from that price range and will make a huge difference as a dedicated OS/Game drive.

Phenom II x4 925 has two main advatages over the Athlon II X4 The L3 cache will give it an edge in gameing and two it is very overclocking friendly but if you cant see yourself spending that extra 40bills go with the Athlon II x4 will give a nice boost from the Athlon 6000+. Dont get a dual core chip you should only be looking at quad cores.

Dude read what the OP posted its not for them its for there cousins birthday gift so they are just looking for a good chip.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Right, was thinking about the full sized Black A785GM, it is an option built into the chipset anyway, sad that ECS pussied out and didn't include it in mATX BIOS.

BTW Saaiello, seems like you're just bloating your post count just for the sake of it...

honomatopeya

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Ok.. I think i will go for the Athlon II X4 then...

But you have said theres a way to "unlock" Phenom II X2's cores to quad?

How does this "unlocking method" works??

I'm asking this... because i would like to get one of these CPUs in a future

To unlock one of those processor you use a function in the bios call ACC Advanced Clock Calibration you enable this and add a littl extra Vcore for the extra cores and when you reboot you might get lucky and have an x4 processor. What it actully is a quad core chip that they shut down 2 cores on for 1 of two reasons either it was defective or they will just simply shut them down to fill stock. Its cheaper for production to be able to use the same chip so there is a good chance you might get one that works. However if you want a quad core you might want to just go for the sure thing.

BradyT88

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I would get the Athlon II x4 like they said the L3 cache won't make a big difference, especially since it is lacking 2 cores.

BradyT88

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Can't beat that, I guess. Good Luck and enjoy:)