Can't change GPU Fan Speed

GamerBf3Amazing

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hello guys,

This is my first post here, and sorry if I'm not in the right section.

Well, today I've been trying to change the default fan speed of my (very good............!) GTS 250, because when I play BF3 it hits a nice 70-75 celsius, but I couldn't.
I've tried RivaTuner, but when I click ''Apply'', the speed would turn back to 35% where it's stuck.
The thing is, that even when the system is really hot , the GPU's fan speed doesn't go above 55 %.
I've also tried MSI Afterburner, but while it, and GPU-Z showed that the speed had changed,I couldn't hear any difference.
The last thing I tried, was reinstalling all NVIDIA drivers and then using the NVIDIA Control Panel + System Tools, but that gave me a BSOD.

Maybe the BIOS doesn't allow any changes?

Finally, I have one more question (a little off-topic):
When I'm playing heavy games, like BF3 the PSU gets pretty hot.
Is that normal?

Thanks a lot for your help and time, and sorry for such a big thread.

PC Specs:

GTS 250
4 GB RAM
Intel Pentium Dual Core @ 3.06 Ghz

GamerBf3Amazing

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

Thanks for your fast reply.
This is what I'm trying to do. But I can't. And that's why I'm asking for help

GamerBf3Amazing

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Just tried Easy Boost - no luck. I put the fan to 100 %, and , even though Easy Boost and GPU-Z say that the fan speed is 100 %, it is exactly the same as before.
Please help!!!

Thanks

Well damn, that was my one arrow to shoot at this situation. I figured the software that was actually meant for the card would have the best chance of working, but I guess not.

Well, have you tried EVGA Precision?

GamerBf3Amazing

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
No, I haven't .
I think that, since both Evga Precision and Msi Afterburner are based on RivaTuner, they are almost the same.
Is there any other way to force the fan run at full speed when I need that?
I experience low fps in games because of overheating.

Thanks

Yeah, I didn't think about the RivaTuner connection, but you're right.

I really don't know of any other way besides editing the VBIOS to make it stay at 100% (or however high you want it), but that's not really what you're looking for. There may be settings in the VBIOS for the auto speeds too, but I'm not sure. That's an extreme thing to do though, that may, of course, brick the card if you get it wrong.

GamerBf3Amazing

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Well, I don't want to risk bricking my lovel
I've found that while intense gaming, the fan speed changes. Maybe some setting in BIOS prevent any changes?

GamerBf3Amazing

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
I've been playing a match of BF3 now, and the card hit 64 celcius (not too bad), and the fan's maximum speed was 43 %. I suppose that because the card didnt go up to 75 celsius, the speed doesn't need any adjustment.

Please tell me what you think.
Thanks

Sorry for the late(er) reply, but anyway, yeah, this is definitely strange, and it does basically sound like the same problem as in the post you linked. The good part at least, in your situation, is that the speed doesn't seem to be completely frozen at a single speed and the temp isn't too bad (very good, actually).

GamerBf3Amazing

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Thanks for your reply
Well, As for the fan speed, I think that what is happening, is that I can see it,but something is preventing me from changing it.
But if the temps are actually good, what do you believe causes the frame drops I experience after some time in game?
Finally , is the PSU supposed to get hot after hours of heavy gaming?

Thanks a lot for your help