Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 5770 Dirt 2 FPS Down, But Why?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2009 5:08:51 AM

I got the 5770 running at clock speeds, but think that the FSP scores should be better. According to http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dirt-2-performance-... , the card gets 48.4 AVG FPS at 1680 x 1050 with settings on High, 4x MSAA on DirectX 9.

For some reason I am getting 18.8 AVG FPS running at the same settings, forcing DirectX9 Mode.

My system is similar. I have a quad core Q9450, 4 gig DDR3 mem. Why the heck are my FPS so much lower?

I should also mention that I run dual monitors. I am not sure if this will affect performance or not

More about : radeon 5770 dirt fps

a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 6:35:59 AM

Dual monitors will affect the performance alot
I don't think you are running DirectX 9
5770 should do great at that resolution with DirectX 9
Lower the resolution or the detail level if you are playing in DirectX 11
Good luck
m
l
December 29, 2009 6:54:09 AM

mfarrukh said:
Dual monitors will affect the performance alot
I don't think you are running DirectX 9
5770 should do great at that resolution with DirectX 9
Lower the resolution or the detail level if you are playing in DirectX 11
Good luck

I appreciate the reply. I have forced DX9 Mode by configuring the hardware_settings_config.xml file located in Documents\My Games\DiRT2\hardwaresettings . Therefore making my FPS results baffling. Even if I am running in DX 11 mode, they still should be higher.

You are certain that having dual monitors affects performance? Is there an option to turn off the second monitor when in a game?

I have never heard of a 2nd monitor affecting performance, which is why I asked.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 12:49:40 PM

Dual monitors is a big performance hit. Your GPU has twice as much "real estate" to render.
In Dirt2, DX11 puts hardly any extra strain on the GPU at all. In fact, there is hardly any noticeable difference at all between 9 and 11.
I just ran the time demo benchmark with my 8800GTS, (DX9, I am still running XP) and it was 84FPS max and 38 lowest with pretty much everything set on high, so either your second monitor is killing you, or you have another problem for sure.
m
l
December 29, 2009 2:22:35 PM

jitpublisher said:
Dual monitors is a big performance hit. Your GPU has twice as much "real estate" to render.
In Dirt2, DX11 puts hardly any extra strain on the GPU at all. In fact, there is hardly any noticeable difference at all between 9 and 11.
I just ran the time demo benchmark with my 8800GTS, (DX9, I am still running XP) and it was 84FPS max and 38 lowest with pretty much everything set on high, so either your second monitor is killing you, or you have another problem for sure.

I just disabled the 2nd monitor and ran the benchmark again. .. still same scores. I am coming from an 8800GT, and its as if I still have the same card in there judging from these scores. All of the Nvidia drivers were uninstalled though.

All games are slower, even Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 was lagging like crazy with everything on high.

If anyone has any advice, please do reply. :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 3:13:18 PM

You must not, for whatever reason, have the drivers installed correctly!
Either that, or the card is bad. There is not really much else it can be?
I would start by uninstalling ALL of my current video drivers, and all software (Catalyst suite and anything left nVidia as well.) Download and run DriverSweeper,
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28...
Reboot, and reinstall the Catalyst Suite again.
You do have the chipset drivers for the motherboard installed, right?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 3:24:00 PM

Good detective work! But that makes no difference. All cards are backwards compatible to PCI 1.0a. No worries there.
The 5770 should work absolutely great on your setup.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 3:36:13 PM

xposebrant said:
I just disabled the 2nd monitor and ran the benchmark again. .. still same scores. I am coming from an 8800GT, and its as if I still have the same card in there judging from these scores. All of the Nvidia drivers were uninstalled though.

All games are slower, even Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 was lagging like crazy with everything on high.

If anyone has any advice, please do reply. :( 

Keep in mind that your card will not add any DirectX 11 features, as it doesn't have hardware tessellation or the other additions to DX11. For you, it just does the same exact thing with a different DX library.

His card on the other hand, will use tessellation and other changes once DX 11 is enabled. It adds to visuals, but at the cost of FPS.
m
l
December 29, 2009 3:41:56 PM

jitpublisher said:
You must not, for whatever reason, have the drivers installed correctly!
Either that, or the card is bad. There is not really much else it can be?
I would start by uninstalling ALL of my current video drivers, and all software (Catalyst suite and anything left nVidia as well.) Download and run DriverSweeper,
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28...
Reboot, and reinstall the Catalyst Suite again.
You do have the chipset drivers for the motherboard installed, right?

I tried uninstalling all my drivers, and even used the Driver Sweeper. Didn't help.

As far as chipset drivers, my mobo has the P35 Intel chipset. Unlike Nvidia chipsets, I shouldn't have to download and install those as far as I know.
m
l
December 29, 2009 4:05:05 PM

I am officially out of ideas. :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 4:17:11 PM

I am running out of ideas as well, you do have the 6 pin power plugged in?
m
l
December 29, 2009 4:24:43 PM

jitpublisher said:
I am running out of ideas as well, you do have the 6 pin power plugged in?

Yes, its plugged in. PSU is 750 watts.

I think if you try to run the card without it unplugged it gives off a high pitched sound. (At least thats what the 8800 GT did).

My last resort is to install Vista on a secondary drive and see if FPS in games change at all.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 4:28:30 PM

Well, let me know, as I was getting ready to buy 2 of these things.
You are the second person I have heard having problems, I did hear of another guy who had to return his, the card was simply bad. He complained of the same problem.
Most people have been bragging this card up pretty big, so I really want to know your outcome before I buy 2 of them!
m
l
December 29, 2009 4:37:28 PM

jitpublisher said:
Well, let me know, as I was getting ready to buy 2 of these things.
You are the second person I have heard having problems, I did hear of another guy who had to return his, the card was simply bad. He complained of the same problem.
Most people have been bragging this card up pretty big, so I really want to know your outcome before I buy 2 of them!

I am going to bring the card over my brothers house and put it in his machine to test it. He also has a 8800 GT, but a different mobo.

I am also going to make a post at ASUS' forums and see what they say.
m
l
December 29, 2009 9:04:10 PM

Talk about an odd problem.....

It turns out that my motherboard is detecting the card at PCI-E x2 instead of x16. That is the reason for the crappy performance!

After resetting the CMOS:

Though I still need to get to x16. Maybe i'll try another CMOS reset.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 9:42:37 PM

I was going to ask if you had the latest drivers. your GPU-Z indicates you're using the most recent 9.12 Catalyst Driver.

Only thing I can think of would be these:

1) Check GPU / CPU temperatures.

2) Try an older driver and see if anything changes.
m
l
December 29, 2009 10:04:45 PM

Have a quick look to see if you have nvidia physx installed. Im running a 5870 and Dirt 2 runs geat but now and again during the game the frame rate drops alot. I found out that I had nvidia physx installed because batman and dragon age installed it on my system! After I uninstalled physx I didnt see the sudden drop in dirt 2!

Give it a try it might help!
m
l
December 29, 2009 10:24:42 PM

marney_5 said:
Have a quick look to see if you have nvidia physx installed. Im running a 5870 and Dirt 2 runs geat but now and again during the game the frame rate drops alot. I found out that I had nvidia physx installed because batman and dragon age installed it on my system! After I uninstalled physx I didnt see the sudden drop in dirt 2!

Give it a try it might help!

Actually, you are right about that. I had batman installed with PhsyX and it caused issues when i switched to my ATI card. I just uninstalled the game.

I finally got the card to work in x16. The reason for the card using x2 mode still puzzles me. It got to work in x8 mode by resetting the CMOS.

I decided to move my sound card a slot over to give the 5770 more room to fit in its slot. It seemed to work, or just a bit of luck. I have no idea which. What I do know is that the mode that your card is in matters A LOT.

Dirt 2 max detail, dx9, 1680x 1050
PCIE x2
AVG FPS 25

PCIE x8
AVG FPS 54

PCIE x16
AVG FPS 64

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2009 11:21:45 AM

Wow, that is some good stuff there. Never really thought about the board not detecting and setting it to correct speed. I guess that is kind of one of the first things a person should check though! Still that is kinda odd. Thanks for staying with us and keeping us updated. Glad you got it working correctly. Now, I wonder why your board set the card to work at PCIe 2X and not 16X in the first place? You do have it in the first PCIe slot, right?
m
l
December 30, 2009 4:38:23 PM

jitpublisher said:
Wow, that is some good stuff there. Never really thought about the board not detecting and setting it to correct speed. I guess that is kind of one of the first things a person should check though! Still that is kinda odd. Thanks for staying with us and keeping us updated. Glad you got it working correctly. Now, I wonder why your board set the card to work at PCIe 2X and not 16X in the first place? You do have it in the first PCIe slot, right?

Yes, I had it in the Blue slot for 16X in the first place. I guess my board was just finicky with how the card sat in the slot.
m
l
April 3, 2010 3:23:10 AM

how do you reset the cmos because i am having the same problems with my games and the pci-e is only 4x. the wierd thing is it just randomly happened i used to be able to run mw2 at 80+ frames but now i get like 20
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 4:33:35 AM

Well, just to answer your question (might not help the problem) it is usually either by removing the CMOS battery or with a jumper. Check your MB manual for directions.
m
l
!