Sign in with
Your question

1000-1500 Gaming computer Never built one before please help!!

Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2009 2:00:30 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (Looking to purchase around March late Feb. (the closer the better)) BUDGET RANGE: (1000-1500 willing to go higher if need just using this as a jump off point.) Before / After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (I plan to use this for pure gaming)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (I need everything but the monitor plan to use my 32in Sony Bravia.) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (Newegg.com Overstock.com Geeks.com any site as long as its trust worthy.I live in the U.S colorado

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (Im looking at the intel i7 core 860 and a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 mobo. Not sure on what tower to get live in the mountains and it can get dusty so something that can help prevent build up or whatever. Was looking at a 900w battery not sure if thats enough. And any suggestions on memory for this and keyboard mouse. Heard there were compatibility issuses with the intel and nvidia SLI? )

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes if no compatibility issues.
MONITOR RESOLUTION: (Using a 32in Sony Bravia can purchase a monitor if this is to big.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (As I said I will mainly use this for gaming only getting online if I need updates, im a big fan of the older games so Id like to be able to build a cpu that can run both xp and win 7 for the newer games not sure if thats possible. I dont need the best of the best but id prefer to spend a little more now and have it last for 3-4 years. Would like it to be able to be upgraded as the times call for it and not just a one and done machine. )

Here are some of the links and products I have looked at so far.

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard like the ability to move up to 16 Gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For the tower I went with Logisys CS308RD 10-Bay ATX Mid Tower Window Case w/480W 20+4-pin PSU & 3.14" Blue LED Fan (Red/Black)

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CS308RD&cat=CAS...

and for the cpu Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

For the graphics card I was leaning toward the nvidia 9800gt

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Bfg-Tech-GeForce-9...

Ive only ever put in a graphics card so this is all pretty new to me. I dont want to buy things that will not be compatible with the mobo or cpu im not set on any one of these items but like I said its more of a jumping off point.
So if you have reccomendations that can allow me to run to operating systems xp and win 7 efficiently and without lag please feel free to say what you would build with a 1500 budget. Thanks in advance.
December 31, 2009 5:23:48 PM

The cheap power supply that comes with that case will be inadequite to run any gaming graphics card. Only 16amps on the 12V rail means its an old design and not enough power for all of the 12v components in todays computers. If your power supply is bad, your whole system will run poorly or even be damaged, you really dont want to skimp on the power supply.

Some combo like this Antec 200 case and Antec 80+ certified 520W PSU would be good for a basic gaming machine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

If you are just gaming, an i5 will perform as well as the i7 860 and be much cheaper (enough to buy a good power supply).

The 9800 GTX is a dead end old DX10 graphics card that takes too much power for its speed. At least get a GTS 250 which is a newer model that uses less power, but is still just DX10. I would really recommend you go with the ATI 5770 as it is a new model and is 50% faster than the 250/9800 and has DX11.
December 31, 2009 6:07:44 PM

this is my planned build :

processor -core i5 750 2.66 ghz

motherboard -gigabyte ga p55m ud2

ram -2x 2 gb ddr3

gpu -ati hd 5850

cabinet -cooler master cm 690 or cooler master gladiator 600

smps -corsair tx 650

hdd -segate 1tb (other brands are not available in india at least not where i live!!)

logitech keyboard mouse combo

optical drive -sony dvd writer

lcd -20 inch either lg or samsung

this is my suggestion.......and damn powerful !!!!
trust me !!
Related resources
December 31, 2009 6:36:26 PM

dndhatcher said:
The cheap power supply that comes with that case will be inadequite to run any gaming graphics card. Only 16amps on the 12V rail means its an old design and not enough power for all of the 12v components in todays computers. If your power supply is bad, your whole system will run poorly or even be damaged, you really dont want to skimp on the power supply.

Some combo like this Antec 200 case and Antec 80+ certified 520W PSU would be good for a basic gaming machine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

If you are just gaming, an i5 will perform as well as the i7 860 and be much cheaper (enough to buy a good power supply).

The 9800 GTX is a dead end old DX10 graphics card that takes too much power for its speed. At least get a GTS 250 which is a newer model that uses less power, but is still just DX10. I would really recommend you go with the ATI 5770 as it is a new model and is 50% faster than the 250/9800 and has DX11.

I was planning on getting rid of the psu in the case and adding a 900w id like to be able to have an updateable computer so as time goes on i can replace a few parts and still have something thats top of the line. Thanks for the info on the gpu i didnt know that about the 9800 gtx. And yes i was just going to mainly use this for gaming will an i5 be able to support two operating systems? Most of the beter games are still on xp thanks
December 31, 2009 6:39:14 PM

tunnelrat said:
this is my planned build :

processor -core i5 750 2.66 ghz

motherboard -gigabyte ga p55m ud2

ram -2x 2 gb ddr3

gpu -ati hd 5850

cabinet -cooler master cm 690 or cooler master gladiator 600

smps -corsair tx 650

hdd -segate 1tb (other brands are not available in india at least not where i live!!)

logitech keyboard mouse combo

optical drive -sony dvd writer

lcd -20 inch either lg or samsung

this is my suggestion.......and damn powerful !!!!
trust me !!

would this build be able to run on a 32in bravia? I have limited spacing up here in the mountains so I was hoping to be able to run it on the tv to save on space. Would this be able to run two operating systems? Most of the games I enjoy are still on xp so id like to be able to run both if possible.
December 31, 2009 6:51:56 PM

Dual booting two OSes has nothing to do with hardware choices, its a configuration issue. You need to read up on how to do it before you start installing.

You can run a new intel i7 system with two of the 5770 graphics cards on a 600W power supply. If you go up to the 5850, which is a very strong graphics card, then you would need a good corsair or antec 750W to run two of them.
December 31, 2009 6:59:44 PM

dndhatcher said:
Dual booting two OSes has nothing to do with hardware choices, its a configuration issue. You need to read up on how to do it before you start installing.

You can run a new intel i7 system with two of the 5770 graphics cards on a 600W power supply. If you go up to the 5850, which is a very strong graphics card, then you would need a good corsair or antec 750W to run two of them.

Ok great thanks im torn between the cpu processors im willing to spend a little more if it can be added to i have been trying to evaluate the different cpus and im getting no where lol. I read the 1156 isnt good for being able to update at later times while the 1136 is. Im willing to go outside of my budget for a decent computer that will last a couple of years without worrying about lagging behind the new products. Do you have any suggestions would you agree with what the other guy suggested?
December 31, 2009 7:01:01 PM

Ok great thanks im torn between the cpu processors im willing to spend a little more if it can be added to i have been trying to evaluate the different cpus and im getting no where lol. I read the 1156 isnt good for being able to update at later times while the 1136 is. Im willing to go outside of my budget for a decent computer that will last a couple of years without worrying about lagging behind the new products. Do you have any suggestions would you agree with what the other guy suggested?
December 31, 2009 7:26:16 PM

IMO the odds of gamers actually wanting to uprade an i7 920 to the expensive 6 or 8 core models coming out is almost zero. Its not an upgrade path worth the expense unless you are doing encoding, rendering or other heavy CPU intensive tasks.
December 31, 2009 7:37:48 PM

Nope none of that for me im to new at computer hardware to try anything crazy. I just want a good solid gaming computer that can handle xp and win 7 games like the new starcraft game and so forth. so youd reccomend either the i5 or the i7 860? What motherboard would be good for the one you would pick and would the ati 5770 graphics card be compatible with those? Is that crossfire enabled?
December 31, 2009 8:32:48 PM

You picked a good Gigabyte P55A motherboard, but you have to move up to the -UD4 model to have crossfire capability.

The only advantage the i7 860 has is hyper-threading, which wont help gaming (in fact it hinders sometimes).

If your TV is 1080p then it runs at 1920x1080 resolution. At that resolution a 5770 will play most games at high (not ultra-high) settings. You might consider going up to a 5850 if its within your budget. The 5850 is around 80% as fast as a pair 5770s in crossfire so its a good bit more powerful, but it costs more.
December 31, 2009 10:52:38 PM

dndhatcher said:
You picked a good Gigabyte P55A motherboard, but you have to move up to the -UD4 model to have crossfire capability.

The only advantage the i7 860 has is hyper-threading, which wont help gaming (in fact it hinders sometimes).

If your TV is 1080p then it runs at 1920x1080 resolution. At that resolution a 5770 will play most games at high (not ultra-high) settings. You might consider going up to a 5850 if its within your budget. The 5850 is around 80% as fast as a pair 5770s in crossfire so its a good bit more powerful, but it costs more.

Ok so here is a updated list of what im thinking of getting after your info and some more research

Ga P55-ud4

for the gpu I went with XFX HD-585A-ZNBC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB Black Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
(I can get two 5770s for about 320 so im not sure which is better also not sure about xfx is that a good manufacturer?)

For the case im still not sure I want to have room for everything and good fans to keep everything from overheating so for now im looking at this. Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

For the Psu I went with CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Was going to start with 4gb of ram ddr3 1333 probably corsair or something

Looking at getting at least a tb of hard drive not sure between seagate and the others seeing lots of complaints for both.

Getting a regular dvd drive burner possibly a blue ray later on but for now just need something basic so i went with this. Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM

and the tv goes from 720p up to 1080 i/p so i have options for that.

Is there anythign you would change reccomend and sorry for the double post im new to the site and all of this. I appriciate any incite you may have.
January 1, 2010 2:45:42 AM

first things first....xfx ...they are just too good !!!!!!!!!!!
they are the best gpu selling company ever for me !!!!

go with a single 5850...it will be better....lowwer in cost than 2 5770
and also better with a chance of future upgradability !!!!

with a 750tx as psu u will have enough juice to power another one of those 5850 baby !!!
o again to say something...if u are nt getting another 5850 to have in crossfire...then save money just buy a 550vx or tx650 both are good corsair products !!!!!

nice case..............u can look into nzxt tempest also...similarly priced and cooler master 690 lower in price but awesome case !!!

so enjoy bro....
January 1, 2010 1:10:32 PM

tunnelrat said:
first things first....xfx ...they are just too good !!!!!!!!!!!
they are the best gpu selling company ever for me !!!!

go with a single 5850...it will be better....lowwer in cost than 2 5770
and also better with a chance of future upgradability !!!!

with a 750tx as psu u will have enough juice to power another one of those 5850 baby !!!
o again to say something...if u are nt getting another 5850 to have in crossfire...then save money just buy a 550vx or tx650 both are good corsair products !!!!!

nice case..............u can look into nzxt tempest also...similarly priced and cooler master 690 lower in price but awesome case !!!

so enjoy bro....

Great thanks bro I really appriciate the advice. I probably will go with another 5850 after a month or two so ill be going with a 750w or higher battery to be able to support everything. Ill look into those cases im still about a month or two out from purchasing because I know gigabyte just put out 7 new mobos so I want to see how they measure up and if its smarter to go with those.
January 1, 2010 5:18:21 PM

dndhatcher said:

Can I ask for a link to the Gigabyte mobo not having cross-fire support? All I ever saw was Gigabyte's website which notes support for Crossfire on all it's P55A mobo's.

http://www.giga-byte.com/FileList/WebPage/mb_091020_333...

-Splints
January 4, 2010 4:10:16 PM

splinters said:
Can I ask for a link to the Gigabyte mobo not having cross-fire support? All I ever saw was Gigabyte's website which notes support for Crossfire on all it's P55A mobo's.

http://www.giga-byte.com/FileList/WebPage/mb_091020_333...

-Splints

The p55-ud2 and -ud3 do not have the two PCIE 2.0 x16/x8 slots needed for crossfire. The chipset would support it, but there is nowhere to plug a second GPU in.
!