Connecting SSD and HDD RAID 0 to GA-X58A-UD3R

discodave

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Hi

I posted this in another related thread but I think it'll probably get missed so I'm posting in a new one, hope that's OK.

I've just taken delivery of a GA-X58A-UD3R board and am building today.

I've been reading threads to see if I can find an answer but not quite found what I'm looking for.

I need to connect the following to the board:

1x SSD (Windows 7)
2x HDD (I wanted to put these in Raid 0)
2x optical drives

All SATA II devices.

So from what I can gather I would ideally connect the SSD and HDDs to the ICH controller but can I do this if I need to set the mode to AHCI for the SSD but the mode needs to be set to RAID for the HDDs?

The following was mentioned in another thread, can anyone confirm if this is the case because if it is it solves my problem.

so far as I know, any SATA port connected to an ICH in RAID mode, if it's not used in the RAID, is automatically put into AHCI mode

If so I would connect the SSD to ICH SATA_0 and the HDDs to SATA_1 & SATA_2 set the mode to RAID and put the 2 HDDs in RAID 0 and the SSD would operate in AHCI mode.

If this is not the case how should I best connect them?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

bilbat

Splendid
SSD on SATA2_0; HD's on SATA2_2 & SATA2_3 (leaving room for that second SSD when you want to RAID0 it ;) ), any front panel eSATA connector on SATA2_5; DVD's on GSATA2_8 & GSATA2_9; can find everything else you need to know (BIOS settings, driver locations, procedure) in this recent post...

discodave

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Cheers bilbat

If I set the ICH controller mode to RAID then so I can put the 2 HDDs in raid 0 will the SSD operate OK seeing as it should be set to AHCI mode for the SSD?

Many thanks for you comments.

bilbat

Splendid
With an ICH in RAID mode, any 'single' drives are in AHCI, and with the latest driver set here, will do 'pass-through' of TRIM - so long as the SSD's themselves are not part of a RAID pair...