Setup 2
Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz - CPU
Asus P7P55-M - Mobo
4gb Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz - Ram
1GB Ati Radeon HD5850 - GFX Card
Windows 7
Both setups would be around £520

A few question i have on this are as follows

1- Whats the difference between a AMD Phenom 965 (3.4Ghz) and the Intel i5 (2.66Ghz). I know amd's are always a higher speed but not necessarily better
3- The intel Mobo doesn't take 1600Mhz ram will the 1333Mhz show any difference ?
4- Should i drop to 3Gb ram or stay with 4Gb - I'll be getting Windows 7 ?
5- What size power supply would i need in the case ?
6- The intel mobo is a micro ATX, can i use a normal ATX case or do i need a micro case ?
7- Will i need any extra cooling or should case fans be ample ?

Should i also look to save £100ish pound and go far a GFX card like the Radeon HD5750 ? I know the HD5850 is supposed to be really good but will it be really worth £100 more for what i need.

A few friends have said to say away from Radeon and go Nvidia, after reading specs and stuff i found NVidia cards to be below par atm, am i right or do they have a decent card out there ?

Monitor wise im looking for something around £200 mark min 24" Full HD that will also play my PS3 would this be any good

Acer H243HBbmid LCD display TFT 24" widescreen.

I don't really want to overclock but if nessecary i can do

I thank anyone who can help me decide on the setup but please remember my small budget and sorry if my post has rambled on. Last time i did this i bought prob the worst GFX card around. So before spending cash i'd like to know it's gonna be worth it.

Many many thanks

Lasaqus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
The top was missed of my post it said -

I am looking to build a new PC with a budget of around £500
I am looking for something fairly future proof so if any new games come out i have no need to upgrade.
I mainly use it for WoW and some other games, browsing and video's

Right now Nvidia is 6 months behind ATI in GPU technology. The ATI 5000 series is basically the best bang/buck GPU to get in most cases, especially at the high end. The 5850 is a strong high end graphics card but if your budget doesnt allow it then the 5770 is the next best thing. Normally then 5750 and 5770 are pretty close in price but the 5770 is 50% faster. Depends on your budget and how much eye candy you want when you play.

You cant run 3GB RAM. You want to run a 2x2GB RAM kit, and if you go i5 make sure its low voltage ram (1.65V or less).

The i5 is a bit better of a processor than the 965, clock for clock.

If you get a case with good airflow then you should not need additional cooling. Some cases have better airflow if you add an extra fan or two. Look at a case like the Antec 200 and add one front fan, or for a more deluxe case check out the Antec 900 or Coolermaster HAF 922.

TRENDING THREADS