Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Picking a tube size: HELP

Last response: in Overclocking
July 21, 2012 11:29:11 PM

Hey guys, quick question. So, I'm choosing components for the WC rig I'm building, I've decided to go with the CPU-370 as my CPU block, and I haven't decided anything else yet.

I'm trying to pick a tubing, but the tubing diameters and barbs are confusing me. I read the sticky about choosing parts and I'm still stumped. What is a good I.D. for tubing? I obviously want to have enough flow to get through a CPU, Dual GPU, Mobo block, pump, and dual rads; but I don't want to have too much flow where it starts to slow down.

Can someone help me with choosing a diameter? I'm sure it's a simple solution but I want to do this right.


More about : picking tube size

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 22, 2012 5:36:27 AM

the fitting size is the key to tubing size most componits have a g1/4 fitting size that is equal to a 3/8 ID tubing size if you want thick wall tubng than the tubing size would be 3/8 ID 5/8 OD and the same for compression fittings or 3/8 barb fitting.

if you hardware is G3/8 fittings this is only high end hardware that will have this size the tube size would be 1/2 ID 3/4 OD.
a c 184 à CPUs
a c 149 K Overclocking
July 22, 2012 6:25:27 AM

Depends on what kind of tubing! You can pick up the SAME if not better tubing all of these watercooling guys sell for much cheaper at a hardware store.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2012 6:07:27 PM

3/8" ID 5/8" OD and 1/2" ID 3/4" OD are probably the most common ones you'll see in WCing anywhere. 1/2" would be better, but the tubing size can be a problem in smaller cases.
a b à CPUs
a c 76 K Overclocking
July 24, 2012 9:57:06 AM

I'd say tubing size is all about users aesthetics and how the layout of the tubes will be. If you have tight bends - thicker walled tubing is preferred.

ID is Inner Diameter
OD is Outer Diameter

always choose tubings sizes according to fittings dimensions.
i.e: 1/2" ID 3/4" OD compression fittings will need 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing. If its barbs that you fancy then only choose the barbs according to the ID of the tubing.

might also want to knock up martinsliquidlab site to understand just how much flow is compromised on lower dia/bore tubes.
October 24, 2012 3:31:17 PM

Think I can get 3/8 ID 5/8 OD tube on a 1/2 ID 5/8 OD fitting?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 24, 2012 3:38:04 PM

Please open a new thread with your question instead of hijacking an old, inactive thread. Thanks.