Key board not responding

gayatri

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hello,
my hard disk is empty.i want to install windows xp .when it shows message"press any key to boot from cd",i try to press enter key key board doesn't respond..after that it gives message ntldr file missing prees alt clt del key to restart system...i am using usb keyboard as my ps2 port was not working..please help me.my system is useless for last 3 months..

gayatri

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
preiviously there was os in my pc my key board is not working(while booting and sumtimes).I thought keyboard problem and planned 2 change but my key board connected to other sytem its working..so i buyed ps2 /usb converter now i can see there is num lock light on ..previously my num lock light also did not on when connected to ps2 port...

modem

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
use any other keyboard(any friend or somebody else) if that also not working thn the port is gone. thn you need to buy a usb keyboard that can connect with USB port.

davedurg09

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
does the keyboard work when the boot screen appears ??, If so you need to press delete to enter the BIOS and look for USB setup or USB options/settings, on my motherboard the option that needs to be enabled is called USB legacy support, you can set it to enabled or auto I chose auto.

save the settings and reboot, the keyboard should then work on the press any key... screen

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

I agree. I use a Bluetooth keyboard that runs through USB and on my media pc, I've a keyboard that uses a wireless USB dongle (and thats an old old motherboard) Generally if your PC is less than 6 years old, USB should be enabled as a keyboard, but if not it'll defo work in the Bios. Log into the bios (F1/F8/DEL etc when the computer turns on) and make sure it's enabled as davedurg09 mentioned.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Unfortunately it depends on what motherboard / BIOS you have as well, even my intel 975xbx with a core2duo doesnt support USB to access the BIOS - hence i have a PS2 keyboard tucked away for reinstalls and setting changes.

I know for a fact a lot of older motherboards wont support USB keyboards in the BIOS, however windows 7 and vista improved usb support in the setup part of the program to something far better than XP.