Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Memory for Rampage III Extreme

Last response: in Motherboards
July 24, 2010 1:50:56 PM

Planning a high end PC using a Rampage III Extreme motherboard. One of the notes that I found on New Egg reviews was to make sure the memory matched ASUS requirements. Found references to the ASUS Memory QVL (qualified vendor list) but can't seem to find anything on New Egg that matches the list.

In particular, looking for 6GB (3 X 2GB) performance memory, such as Patriot. The model number for this RAM is PV736G2000ELK, but the ASUS QVL shows only model PVT36G2000LLK(XMP) as acceptable. That model is currently unavailable. Similar results are found for Kingston and G.SKILL

Any hints as to how to resolve? Is the ASUS list not kept up to date? Will the current New Egg products work, or do I need to use another vendor? (heaven forbid!)
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
a c 135 V Motherboard
July 24, 2010 4:42:48 PM

When a RAM isn't in the QVL list,it doesn't mean it won't work.There are lots of RAMs that aren't in the motherboards QVL list but will work fine.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 163 } Memory
a c 295 V Motherboard
July 24, 2010 5:15:33 PM

^+1

That the RAM isn't listed in the QVL doesn't mean that the RAM doesn't works just means that the RAM that u selected wasn't tested whit the mobo.

Now, like a personal advice take a look of this two 6GB kits:

1- G.Skill PI 6GB (3x2GB) 1600 CL6 with this u can get better performance that with that 2000 CL9 for the same price and with free shipping.
2- G.Skill PI 6GB (3x2GB) 1600 CL7 with this u can get the same or better performance that with the Patriot because have better CL and use less voltage and with free shipping too.
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2010 5:39:34 PM

Thanks guys. It sounds like if I guess wrong, it's a crap shoot. Can't imagine it is too big a risk if I stick with the manufacturers that have other products certified.

I sort of understand latency, which both of saint's choices have considerably better figures. I guess I am not clear on how the speed of the memory works. The G-Skill is DDR3 1600, and the Patriot is DDR3 2000. Will the extra speed translate into better performance?

m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
a c 135 V Motherboard
July 24, 2010 8:28:38 PM

No,1600 vs 2000 doesn't make a noticeable difference in games/apps.
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 163 } Memory
a c 295 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 2:09:49 AM

eloric said:
Thanks guys. It sounds like if I guess wrong, it's a crap shoot. Can't imagine it is too big a risk if I stick with the manufacturers that have other products certified.

I sort of understand latency, which both of saint's choices have considerably better figures. I guess I am not clear on how the speed of the memory works. The G-Skill is DDR3 1600, and the Patriot is DDR3 2000. Will the extra speed translate into better performance?

The important for select a RAM isn't only the speed u also need keep in mind the CL (timings) and voltage of the RAM (1.65V max. for DDR3).

With a lower CL u get better performance. Take a look of this two articles:

1- Cas Latency CL
2- Memory timings
July 26, 2010 4:28:56 PM

Best answer selected by eloric.
m
l
July 26, 2010 4:33:59 PM

Nice touch, Saint.
m
l
!