Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L Won't Post - Restarts

AndyWh

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
M/B: Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L
CPU: Intel Core i5 750
Mem: Micron (MT) PC3-12800 1600mhz 1.5v-1.6v
PSU: Colorsit (Colors-IT) Gold 550w (3.3v @ 28A, 12v @ 30A, 5v @ 35A)

Hi all,

I've upgraded my system using the above parts and its failing to post. I've tried starting it with no devices connected whatsoever, just the PSU connected to the board, CPU and mem with and without a vid card. I've also tried 2 other PSU's, all with the same result.

No mem - Rapid beeps, no restart
With mem - No beeps, restarts after 2-3 secs (powers down for 1 sec, then starts again)

I've tried the mem in every possible 1 and 2 stick combination in every slot, all with exactly the same result.

The very last post (by Mark Duff) on this thread describes the problem exactly and how he sorted it, but unfortunately I have no other DDR3 sticks to try.

Other forums I've found, regarding other Gigabyte P55 board models, talk about the possibility of a stock BIOS issue that fails to detect certain types of mem and defaults to 1.8v, which ties in with the post I mentioned above, but I can't find anything to confirm this. Without confirmation of this, I'm a bit unwilling to pay out more cash and order mem over the web.

I'm thinking of heading down to a local computer shop and asking them to test some of their DDR3 in the board - if it works, I'll buy it - but I'm not sure how well this will go down. There's also a shortage on local computer shops that stock DDR3 with most boards not requiring it at the moment. The local shop websites I've found are also charging around £90 for 2x2gb 1333mhz, which seems a little steep for non-major branded stuff.

Does anybody have any advice on what I can do? Has anybody had the same problem with a Gigabyte board?

Cheers

Andy

1. Clear CMOS

2. Make sure everything is connected right and installed properly
, as in HSF is seated correctly, 4 pin CPU installed,etc).

3. Your PSU is not a name brand. You may want to consider that.

Other forums I've found, regarding other Gigabyte P55 board models, talk about the possibility of a stock BIOS issue that fails to detect certain types of mem and defaults to 1.8v
The P55/X58 default to 1.5v, not 1.8v. 1.8v is WAY above spec for DDR3.

AndyWh

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Sorry, I should've mentioned, I cleared the CMOS before every mem config change, but it didn't help. I even tried leaving the BIOS battery out for a few minutes with the clear jumper set, which somebody with a similar problem had suggested worked, but again, no joy.

Everything is seated correctly. Its been taken apart several times to confirm there's no board shorts, etc.

The PSU is identical to the one I've got in another machine which I ended up buying when all others failed to satisfy the power needs of my vid card, so I'm thinking that shouldn't be an issue either.

When you say 1.8v is above spec for DDR3, what do you mean exactly?

Cheers

AndyWh

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
For those who are suffering from the same problem as I did - its the memory.

I bought 2 x 2gb of the following, which got it going straight away:

Kingston Hyper-X KHX1600C9D3K2

1.7-1.9v

Cheers

AndyWh

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hmmmmm, interesting. I've just Google'd this and found a lot of results.

Do you think by setting the voltage at the lower end, 1.7v, may be enough?

I bought the retail boxed CPU, which claims to have a 3yr warranty, so hopefully I'm protected anyway ... ?

Cheers

whites32

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
hey guys, i got my 15 750 and a ga-p55-us3l but i bought some corsair dominator ddr3 1600 but they only run at 1066 now the voltage seems to high for the board and when overclocked the system became unstable now ebuyer have refunded me for th ram , so now i would like some help on the best ram i could get for the boared so any help would be appreciated ....btw i have been lookin at these but wasnt 100% if they will be ok ?

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/42599/G-Skill-4GB-Ripjaws-DDR3-PC16000-2000Mhz--Cas9

AndyWh

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hi,

The Kingston Hyper-X I bought is still going strong with no signs of overheating. Still, if I'd realised at the time, I'd definitely have gone for 1.65v or lower to save myself any potential future aggro.

At 1.6v, that G-Skill stuff you mention looks ok, although I'd run it by some others on here first. Have you checked the supported memory list on the Gigabyte website?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/mb_memory_ga-p55-us3l.pdf

It doesn't list everything the board supports, but its a good place to start if you want guarantees it'll work ok.

Cheers

Andy

whites32,

Check your BIOS. You should manually configure your RAM specs to the manufacturers recommendation. The Ripjaws you linked would be good, but keep in mind if you're using a 32-bit OS, you won't see or use the whole 4GB.

G

Dude.. This board has the placement scheme for the memory. u cant just place the memory in any slot.. the 1st white slot from the left should be occupied first.. then the first blue slot from the left... Hope that helps