• Photo
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2009 4:49:11 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1st or 2nd week in January '10
BUDGET RANGE: ~$1500 - 1600
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Photo/Video editing
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, Sound card, HDs, Sound CardCase? (see below)
OVERCLOCKING: Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not off initial build, potentially for the future

I am currently planning on buying a new rig within the next two weeks, sooner the better. I have a few pieces I am undecided about and hope some people can help me out. The main purpose of this rig will be split time between gaming and photo editing with some video in the future. The photo editing I do now are on 25mb images a pop and is a drain on my little 165 operton.

I'd like to leave a few windows open to future proofing but not at sacrificing system stability NOW.

The Decided

Intel i7-920 CPU - $200
Corsair 12GB Domminator CAS 7 x 2- $420
Corsair 850 HX Power supply - $180
Win 7 64bit Pro - $140

Edits after responses :
Antec 1200 Case .
Will keep my case (Keep my Thermaltake Armor ) and mod it for better air flow or buy and cable management giving me something to do while the parts are being shipped. :sol: 

Video Card
Sapphire 5870 - $410
or
XFX 5850 - $330

The 5850 seems to be a better price/performance ratio right now.

$1130, leaving me about 470 to play with.

Undecided

CPU Cooler
Corsair Hydro CH50 - $80
or
Noctua NH-D14 - $90

I've seen decent reviews of the Corsair Hydro and really like how clean it can look. The Noctua seems to have some stellar reviews but is IMMENSE! Wondering if it will cover the DIMM slots on the motherboards I am looking at, along with the height of the domminators.

The Motherboard
Asus P6X58D Premium - $300
or
Asus P6TD Deluxe - $280

Both boards seem pretty solid with the P6X with better futurproofing [USB 3/Sata3] but has worse on board sound than the P6T [I have an SB X-Fi ExtremeMusic to cover that though, not the best card but does it's job]. Any other main differences between the two? Priced pretty competitively.

Thanks.

More about : build gaming photo editing

December 31, 2009 4:53:49 PM

I would highly suggest a hard drive or two...
m
l

Best solution

December 31, 2009 5:27:37 PM

You really should consider getting 12 GB of memory for your photo / video editing. This will significantly enhance the performance of the computer. Why spend all that money on a i920 and not load it up with RAM? Otherwise, you could just get a i860 computer with 8 GB of RAM, and it would be much faster than your rig for photo / video editing with a $200 savings. Take a look at these benchmarks:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=364...
Related resources
December 31, 2009 5:42:54 PM

Newf...PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, Sound card, HDs, Sound CardCase? (see below)

I have a Raptor + Barracuda to hold me off for now. A bit dated, but I can throw that money towards something else while the price point for SSD's becomes more reasonable.

dpaul8...Good point. I will nix the idea of another case then and go with a 5850 to make up for the cost of the extra 6gb. Nice marks on the 860 but I would like to stay with the 1366 chipset for the next gen cpu which is supposedly going on that platform. 1156 is extremely tempting though and if I didn't see the 920 for $200 at a local microcenter, I would be looking harder at it; but I feel 1366 will serve me better.

So to make up for the memory, I will edit the post, which still leaves me undecided on the motherboard and CPU cooler.
m
l
December 31, 2009 8:08:01 PM

If you want to upgrade to the new 32nm, six-core processor at some point in the future, then you should definitely get the ASUS P6X58D motherboard because it is compatible with this new processor. The Gulftown six-core processor will be available in March 2010 with a list price of $999.
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16949/66/
m
l
a c 472 4 Gaming
December 31, 2009 11:38:07 PM

keep in mind that Photo Editing on a TN panel will lead to significant frustration due to the panel's inability to accurately display color....start saving.....entry point for an IPS panel (Dell U2410) is about $550.

The Noctua is one monster color but the weight scares me. The Prolimatech Megahalems is the easiest to install and is a stellar performer.

If you get the P6T move up to the V2 model.

m
l
January 6, 2010 2:43:31 PM

After some more research, thought and money, wound up finalizing my decision.

Intel i7-920 CPU
Asus P6X58D Premium
Corsair 12GB Domminator (CAS 7)
Sapphire 5870
Corsair 850 HX Power supply
Corsair 800D case
WD Raptor 150GB + Barracuda 500GB HDs
Win 7 64bit Pro

Also decided to go with water cooling but have yet to piece together my loops. The more I read and thought about it, the more my budget just went out the window. Decided not to skimp corners and leave options for serious upgrades down the road (SSD, 2nd 5870, usb/sata 3).

Of all that I ordered, the case was the toughest to pull the trigger....but having it stare at my at a local microcenter, I couldnt say no! Case is just amazing.

m
l