KelliSean

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
My 13 year old ruined his XFX8600GT card not sure how but all the capacitors are blown. He has $200 from Christmas and wants a new card. I'm not sure what will work with his MOB. He wants a GTS250 or GTX260.
These are his stats.

MOB MSI 945P Neo3-F
Antec 500 watt power supply
Intel Core 2duo e8400 3ghz
2gig ram

Thank you
Kelli

Which 500w Antec PSU do you have? If it is the Earthwatts 500w you are good, if not, please list the specs.

Did he do something to toast the card, or did it just shoot off all caps? Since it's an XFX I would call them as XFX has a lifetime warranty.

But yes that card will work with your mobo quite well. It has a single PCI-E x16 slot.

KelliSean

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

Yes it is the Earthwatts 500w. I'm not sure what happened to the card he said when he started up his computer it started popping loudly I looked at his card and all the caps were blown. I can contact XFX but he still wants a new card.

I will look for a GTX 260 with a single PCI-E x16 slot then.

Thank you
Kelli

Just to make sure when you run up the computer again check the Voltages in bios or with core center before any gaming after install of the new card. Antec earthwatts is a great PSU but they brake as other hardware and it could be the reason the graphics card went. If all the voltages are with in ATX specs it was just the card that went bad.

KelliSean

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

We had an old card X800 ATI I think that he is using until we get a new one. I am happy that one didn't blow since I didn't realize I should check the voltage.
Thanks
Kelli

They all have a single PCI-E x16 connector. When I say single, I mean the motherboard only had one. Just wanted to clarify.