nish-ka-bibble

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I'm looking to building a gaming computer and order the parts today and tomorrow.
I have a i7-930 processor and want to put it to good gaming rig ;-)
It's been a while since I built a computer...bet here we go.

I have only one 22" monitor, but down the line, I want get 2 more and a ATI Radeon card with Eyefinity so I can expand to 3 monitors. I would be gaming, watching HD video, surfing, winrar and working with light Photoshop. I want to expand to a 2nd graphics card as soon as I have the cash, but not for now.

I'm having trouble choosing between these motherboards that seem to have decent feedback on Newegg.

1. EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED
2. EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI
3. ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
4. ASUS P6X58D Premium
5. ASUS Rampage II Extreme or Extreme III
6. ASUS P7P55D-E Pro

I guess I was leaning to EVGA because of their customer service, which seems to be good from I've read on Newegg.
I didn't choose any of the Gigabytes because of the shady feedback on them lately.

But I'd be very open to any suggestions or comments?

I've never tried overclocking, but maybe would like to try if I know what I am doing. What's best for pure (stable) overclocking?

Parts I'm currently planning on using:

CPU - i7 930 (swweeet present 'o mine)
Motherboard - yet to decide...
RAM - Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048MB),
HD - Western Digital WD6400AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 3.5", 7200 RPM, SATA 3G, 640GB, 16MB Cache, OEM
Power Supply - CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W, 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular
Case - COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CPU Cooling - Cooler Master V8 CPU Fan - Socket 1366/775/AM2/AM2+,1156, AM3 120mm Fan, Modular Aluminum Fins

Any thoughts on these parts?

Thanks for your help.

MCchum

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
i would go with the

ASUS Rampage III Extreme

has many updated features and OC'ing is a snap .

Every mobo u listed is very good . It would go by whichever u prefer .
My preference would be the RIII

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I can't tell you what to get, I have the gigabyte X58A-UD3R (it won toms recommended buy) and i am more than pleased with it.. if you look at my sig, I am running 4.3Ghz 24/7 and it doesn't even wince as always the ultimate decision is up to you

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Do you want an honest answer? I've tested just about every X58 motherboard on the market, and haven't found any big differences between most of them in performance or basic overclocking capability. Read a few of the reviews at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Components,1/Motherboards,2/ then figure out how much you want to pay for specific features.

As for P55 board, they won't work--wrong socket.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

Yes! All true.

@ the OP
Personally, I have used Asus mobos for years & years... but now I'm a Gigabyte man. Ultra-Durable copper, top-quality.
Get a small SSD for OS, and 2 Caviar Black drives in RAID1 for storage (they're inexpensive).
I don't like PSUs with 50A, 60A, 70A and more on a single 12V rail - that's not exactly ATX spec, is it?
The spec says no more than ~20A per 12V rail.
You can support your CPU perfectly well with triple-channel RAM at only 1066MHz.
1333MHz is bonus.
Any faster than that is overkill - I would concentrate on very tight timings at the slower (1333MHz) speed.
Note: you require only 1066MHz RAM in triple-channel to get the same memory bandwidth as 1600MHz RAM in dual-channel... sweet!
Regards

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

My suggestion is to read DDR3 memory reviews, plus the LGA-1156 cooler roundup since many of those coolers are also LGA-1366 compatible. My advice after that is, forget what kim_51 said and make an informed decision.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
I have the P6T Deluxe V2 and it is working like a charm (since October 2009)
I wasn't tight on the budget so I had the chance to get the Rampage II at that time (there wasn't Rampage III) but I preferred the design on the P6T Deluxe V2.

The Rampage III is a good looking mobo that would look nice through a windowed case but that's up to you, since most review doesn't approve the pricing of that hot piece.

I guess you already figured out that I prefer ASUS.