Sign in with
Your question

Pentium 2 modding!

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
March 8, 2010 11:02:36 AM

i have been given a dell dimension xps d333. it has a pentium 2 333mhz cpu,364mb ram, and no hd. what mods are possible (but not really complicated or requiring special tools) because the only actual mod iv done included drilling a bincuh of holes in a min i itx case for psu ventilation...??? also, i upgraded the agp graphics card but since its not right here right now im not sure what i upgraded to!!!
thanks
:o  :bounce: 

More about : pentium modding

a b ) Power supply
March 8, 2010 1:28:54 PM

Thats for a different Cpu but its close enough it may work. Ill gve it a try and let you know. Any other ideas, especially to make the computer quieter. It currently has the psu fan (which is quiet enough) and a case fan that is near the cpu and pulls a little hot air off the cpu , but i think i can glue another heatsink to it to make the heatsink bigger. Would that even work?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
March 8, 2010 5:47:16 PM

Depends on your version of glue, if you do use a thermal epoxy resin.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 8, 2010 6:36:20 PM

Is hot glue that comes out of a little gun good enough? Or is super glu better? Would it even help? Im thinking out attaching to the "top" edge of the slot cpu mounted heatsink ( when pc is lying on the side and i am looking into it) would that work???
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
March 8, 2010 11:28:06 PM

Probably not. Most adhesives have poor thermal properties.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2010 1:35:30 AM

also, i could put thermal paste in between the two heatsinks. also, the heatsinks will be touching, since they'll be glued up right next to each other??? would thermal paste do the trick???
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2010 1:37:07 AM

i plan to use this for nothing besides *** N GIGGLES and just to learn more modding stuff because its something that interests me but i dont have very much experience in. besides, if i destroy it no big deal!!!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2010 3:08:36 AM

shovenose said:
i have been given a dell dimension xps d333. it has a pentium 2 333mhz cpu,364mb ram, and no hd. what mods are possible (but not really complicated or requiring special tools) because the only actual mod iv done included drilling a bincuh of holes in a min i itx case for psu ventilation...??? also, i upgraded the agp graphics card but since its not right here right now im not sure what i upgraded to!!!
thanks
:o  :bounce: 

I saw an AGP card today that had me doing a double-take!

Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 AGP: $96
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It had me doing a double take because I wondered what rock they found those under and how many they expect to sell at $96!
I do have to admit though... it's a FAR better deal than the HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB IceQ Edition AGP 8x (can you say OVERKILL) for $123!!! :sol: 
Now, just how BADLY do you think that the PII would bottleneck it? :pt1cable: 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2010 12:41:39 PM

lol my friend baought a sapphire radeon 3850 at best buy for 130 bucks because he couldnt wait for it to ship so he didnt want to buy it online!!!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2010 12:58:40 PM

shovenose said:
lol my friend baought a sapphire radeon 3850 at best buy for 130 bucks because he couldnt wait for it to ship so he didnt want to buy it online!!!

Holy Cow! I'm sorry to say this but your friend easily fits my definition of a moron. :sol: 

Let's count the ways he screwed himself on that:

1.) He went to BestBuy to get something for his computer. (THAT'S NOT GOOD SON!!!) :non: 
2.) He spent $130 on an ATi HD 3xxx part. (WHOA NELLY!!!) :ouch: 
3.) He spent $130 on a video card that has 1/4 the bandwidth of PCI-Express v2.0 (SWEET JESUS!!!) :o 
4.) For $130 he could have had an AM3 CPU, Mobo and 2GB of DDR3 instead of being stuck with whatever crap he's got. :pfff: 

:(  :lol:  :cry:  :pt1cable:  THIS IS ONE OF THE FEW TIMES THAT TRAGEDY MEETS COMEDY!!! :pt1cable:  :cry:  :lol:  :( 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2010 1:09:31 PM

shovenose said:
i plan to use this for nothing besides *** N GIGGLES and just to learn more modding stuff because its something that interests me but i dont have very much experience in. besides, if i destroy it no big deal!!!

I worked in Auto Parts for 6 years (I'm still actually ASE-Certified! LOL) and I can tell you that if you want an adhesive that will withstand the "extreme" temperatures inside a computer (Extreme my white a$$! LOL) then just use some of this stuff. As long as the heatsinks are metal, you'll love this:

Permatex Cold-Weld - Good to 150C / 300F - I think you'll agree that no computer part can survive that temperature. :pt1cable: 

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/adhesives_s...

You can find this at NAPA. It's incredible stuff, part toxic-waste, part Velcro! It literally welds 2 metal parts together using chemicals instead of heat. I think that would do ya. :sol: 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2010 1:27:11 PM

wierd stuff but it may just do the trick!!!
if i touch it will it burn or injure me?
does it smell horrible?
how much does it cost?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 10, 2010 1:52:17 AM

so basically you need medical care if it touches your skin...too dangerous...other than that it would be TOTALLY PERFECT!!!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 10, 2010 10:44:20 AM

shovenose said:
so basically you need medical care if it touches your skin...too dangerous...other than that it would be TOTALLY PERFECT!!!

lol, no, it's not that bad. If it were, it wouldn't be available to the public. You just squirt a little on a piece of cardboard from each tube and mix it together. Then put it on the two surfaces you want to stick together and that's it. If you know how to use glue without getting it all over yourself, you should be fine! :sol: 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 10, 2010 12:21:14 PM

ok...ill give it a try when i actually am given the computer (i already own it, it just hasnt been dropped off here yet) but ill get someof that wierd crud and see how it goes!
any othe modding ideas, anyone???
m
l
!