W7 64bit wont boot from cd-drive

G

Hi i have a Gigabyte Ga p35 DS3L mobo and i am trying to install w7 64bit home edition.

Hardware specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Ga P35 DS3L
Graphic card: Sapphire Radeon 5750
CPU: Intel Pentium 2.66ghz duo core
Memory: 3x 1gb Corsair DDR3
Cd-drive: Plextor something...
Hardisk: Western digital 1tb
hardisk2: Samsung

When the system tries to boot from the cd i can see the cd-drive working, hear the cd spin, but i get:

Boot from cd/dvd:
Boot from cd/dvd:

And there it stops... exactly the same i get without a disk, only then i get a message that tells me to insert disc.

The cd works in other computers, the cd-drive boots linux cd's and everything in the computer worked fine with windows XP.

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 217926

This might be dumb but you keep saying CD drive. You do know Windows 7 is on a DVD right? XP was on a CD.

G

"I'm having a bit of a problem too.
( see my thread )

Try changing what sata port it's in."

ill try that.

"Have you tried to boot to the windoze installer disk on another system? Might just be a bad disk... Kind of suspicious if linux boots OK!"

The disk booted ok on my laptop.

"This might be dumb but you keep saying CD drive. You do know Windows 7 is on a DVD right? XP was on a CD."

yeye cd/dvd-drive, i was lazy =/

bilbat

Splendid
Thinking to take a look at boot structures that vary between how a linux might boot, vs how the win installer kernel boots - might give us a clue... What 'flavor' of linux boots? (Hopefully, Ubuntu - as I have the installer disks here - but, can get whatever...) Is it a 'live' linux (runs from the CD/DVD), a dedicated installer, or both (most Ubuntu...)?

'Nother thing: boot order... I usually recommend that, if your board has a floppy port (even if you don't have a floppy!), you set your boot order to: 1 - floppy, 2 - CDROM, 3 - Hard Disk. This allows you to 'blind flash' the board, should you have a pretty complete BIOS failure or corruption; also allows you to 'interrupt' your boot to stick in, say, a bootable MemTest, UBCD, or other 'tool' disk - it costs a couple seconds each boot, but if you have a BIOS disaster, you won't be able to enter the BIOS to change that boot order!

G

The linux is a live linux/installer disk, its Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop edition, i can use it from the disk and install it to my computer as well.

btw, can the IDE channel my cd/dvd-drive is plugged into have something to say?
(it is in a "master" channel)
I have nothing in IDE channel 0...

bilbat

Splendid
Is the Plextor actually an IDE drive? IOW, does it connect with a flat ribbon cable? Otherwise, for SATA drives, the whole 'channel/master/slave' thing is simply a 'compatibility appendage'; a setup built into the controller/BIOS/driver that allows the SATA controllers to 'look like' an older, 'twin-IDE cable' controller - it really means nothing as applied to physical SATA controllers...

That's good - I'm pretty positive I've kept my old 9.04 installers; I usually keep 'em stacked one deep, in case I run into trouble with new versions, and have to 'go back one'!

G

Problem solved, i pulled out my previous cd/dvd-drive and it worked perfectly.

guess it didnt understand the hardware for some weird reason.

Thanks for all help/replies.

bilbat

Splendid
Surprising - I used to buy exclusively Plextors back in the day, when I used all SCSI devices - made, far and away, the best stuff in the business! Glad you got it though - I had little luck with 'surgery' on the boot tracks - my main tool (BootItNG) said they were pretty similar...