Intel Smart Response Technology

hayden1911

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hi! I am building a computer right now and I just have a quick question about setting up the hard drives with Intel Smart Response Technology. I've yet to get an HDD (I have an SSD atm). My question: will I be able to easily set up ISRT after using my computer, or will I just have to do it when I first turn it on? The motherboard that I got is from Gigabyte, so it has an easy set up for ISRT.

Thanks!
--Hayden

Solution
If I read this correctly, you have an SSD but not an HDD? Unless the SSD is tiny, install the OS on it, get a HDD, store your data on the HDD, and forget SRT. SRT was meant to tempt companies that wouldn't buy full-size SSDs into the SSD water.

If I misunderstood you, and you are going to install to a large HDD and then add SRT later, you need to set the motherboard disk controllers to the appropriate mode (RAID?) before you do the install to the HDD. Otherwise, you won't be able to add the SRT SSD later.
If I read this correctly, you have an SSD but not an HDD? Unless the SSD is tiny, install the OS on it, get a HDD, store your data on the HDD, and forget SRT. SRT was meant to tempt companies that wouldn't buy full-size SSDs into the SSD water.

If I misunderstood you, and you are going to install to a large HDD and then add SRT later, you need to set the motherboard disk controllers to the appropriate mode (RAID?) before you do the install to the HDD. Otherwise, you won't be able to add the SRT SSD later.

Solution

hayden1911

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

I think what I'll do is install the OS and game files on the SSD (120GB) and wait until the prices go down a bit to get an HDD. Once I get the HDD, I'll move all the files that aren't games and OS to it.

Like you said, once I looked more into SRT, I found that it's pretty much just Intel naming it after themselves and selling it as new.

Thanks a lot!
--Hayden