Sign in with
Your question

XP SATA driver for GA-X58A-UDR3

Last response: in Motherboards
July 25, 2010 2:53:24 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to install a new comp with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3 motherboard and an Intel i7-930 processor.
Can't find the right SATA Txtsetup.oem file XP is asking during the install, so the install fails.
Can anuone help?
Thanks.

More about : sata driver x58a udr3

a c 235 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 3:54:58 AM

If XP is asking for a SATA driver, my guess is it is looking for the SATA III drivers. It should already have the requires standard SATA II drivers to get you started. Look for the Marville folder on the install disk to install those drivers. Hopefully, this will get the install process moving forward.

Second... why wouldn't you upgrade to Windows 7 on a new Intel Core i7-930 build? Windows 7 is equal or better than XP.
m
l
Related resources
July 25, 2010 3:56:21 AM

Hi Ko888,

Thanks for your answer.
My motherboard is a rev 1.0.
Already went on the Gigabyte site and downloaded the files but they are .exe and when you launch the XP install, XP is expecting a TxtSetup.oem + other files on the disquette... not a .exe.
Unless you can tell me how to use the .exe file I downloaded???
Thanks again for your help.

ompblus.
m
l
July 25, 2010 4:06:17 AM

hi Tecmo34,

thanks for your answer.
First I don't have W7... it will come as I agree on the fact that with my new config it'll be better.
Second, all SATA file on the Gigabyte site are .EXE and as I said, XP is expecting a .OEM... so it doesn't work.
Any other suggestion??
Thanks.

ompblus.
m
l
a c 216 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 4:08:10 AM

The files are in 7-Zip self-extracting executable format. Execute the file so that it extracts itself (usually it'll create its own sub-directory containing more sub-directories and files that will most likely have exactly what you're looking for.
m
l
July 25, 2010 4:24:37 AM

The files are the same than the ones on the motherboard CD I got:

jraid.cat, jraid.sys, txtsetup.oem, xraid_f.inf

I copied them to a disquette, put the disquette into the floppy drive, launched the XP install, hit F6 when requested, nothing happened, then later XP asked for the disquette, found it, said it's gonna install the drivers, went on with the install and... failed!!

Seems something is missing...
m
l
a c 216 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 4:33:38 AM

Have you downloaded and tried the Chipset, Intel INF installation file (mb_driver_chipset_intel.exe).

It contains SATA drivers for the SATA controller on the Intel chipset.
m
l
July 25, 2010 4:42:56 AM

Nope because there is NO .OEM file in the extract... and I know the XP install is looking for one + other files.
If it doesn't find a .OEM file it won't work.
What a pain!!
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 2:04:48 PM

I'm thoroughly confused here... First off, where do you have your drives physically connected? Second, do you not have the install CD that came with the board? Third, are you, perhaps, talking about 'pre-install' <F6> drivers, used at the beginning of the install to make the drive(s) 'visible' to Xp in the first place? I've done a lot of Xp installs, and never had it ask for any kind of driver during the install - you normally 'load up' all the hardware drivers 'post-install', and using the included CD installer 'sequences' them correctly - some need to go in first so the hardware attached to those pieces can be 'discovered', or 'polled', allowing their installation...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 3:30:43 PM

"I prefer to create an Install CD with the drivers available *" USB method is the fastest however...

*Installation CD vs. USB vs. Floppy {XP missing drivers}

*Link - http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SA...
Link - http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=490...
Link - http://www.bootdisk.com/

Per GA Manual (PG 106)
Link (English) - http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_g...

<F6> Install:
Step 1: Restart your system to boot from the Windows XP setup disk and press <F6> as soon as you see the mes-sage "Press F6 if you need to install a 3rd party SCSI or RAID driver" (Figure 1). A screen will then appear asking you to specify additional device.

Step 2: For the Intel ICH10R:Insert the floppy disk containing the SATA RAID/AHCI driver and press <S>. Then a controller menu similar to Figure 2 below will appear. Select Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller and press <Enter>.

Step 3: On the next screen, press <Enter> to continue the driver installation. After the driver installation, you can pro-ceed with the Windows XP installation.

footnote: XP 32-bit is the only option that makes any sense in this situation, but your RAM will be limited to 4GB. XP is still in most Enterprise situations, but for "Home" use I would strongly recommend WIN 7 64-bit. Further, WIN 7 Pro, Ultimate, & Enterprise allow you to run XP in its own environment for "FREE!"

Limits link - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx
m
l
a c 216 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 4:49:40 PM

In the GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0) manual - Link: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-x58a-ud3r_e.pdf

Page 104 "5-1-4 Making a SATA RAID/AHCI Driver Diskette (Required for AHCI and RAID Mode)" is where the OP is having the problem. I'm assuming the instructions on this page were followed.

Since the OP didn't specify what the ICH SATA Control Mode is set to, for the SATA port that the hard disk drive is attached to, it's just a guessing game as to what driver is actually required, if any. If the ICH SATA Control Mode is set to IDE you wouldn't think a 3rd party driver should be required during Windows XP setup.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 6:34:11 PM

@ko888 - I agree, but short of having a Floppy, I gave the OP a few options.

nLite allows you to configure an up to date OS install CD/ISO, and you can add ALL the Drivers, SP, you name it, etc.... It's pretty good. :bounce: 
m
l
a c 216 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 8:38:04 PM

jaquith said:
@ko888 - I agree, but short of having a Floppy, I gave the OP a few options.

nLite allows you to configure an up to date OS install CD/ISO, and you can add ALL the Drivers, SP, you name it, etc.... It's pretty good. :bounce: 

I agree, I use nLite quite extensively for my own builds.
m
l
a c 216 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 8:54:56 PM

Hi ompblus:

There is a 32-bit Floppy Configuration Utility zip file available from Intel's web site for the "press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver" setup method.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17883/eng/f6flpy3289.zip&agr=&ProductID=&DwnldId=17883&strOSs=&OSFullName=&lang=eng

Extract the contents of the f6flpy3289.zip file to a floppy diskette.

During the setup choose "Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller".
m
l
July 26, 2010 4:08:55 AM

bilbat said:
I'm thoroughly confused here... First off, where do you have your drives physically connected? Second, do you not have the install CD that came with the board? Third, are you, perhaps, talking about 'pre-install' <F6> drivers, used at the beginning of the install to make the drive(s) 'visible' to Xp in the first place? I've done a lot of Xp installs, and never had it ask for any kind of driver during the install - you normally 'load up' all the hardware drivers 'post-install', and using the included CD installer 'sequences' them correctly - some need to go in first so the hardware attached to those pieces can be 'discovered', or 'polled', allowing their installation...

1) My drives are physically connected.
2) I have the install CD and it is said to first instal Windows before to run it and install all the mobo utilities.
3) your're right.
4) My XP CD is a SP0 asking to press <F6> with a floppy having the right SATA drivers ready.
5) I've been trying to install on an IDE drive and I've got the same issue: at somme point the install crashes with an 0x0000007E error on pci.sys file
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 4:21:45 AM

I think your issue is your OS, itself. I don't think the Gigabyte board supports XP (No Service Pack), I like the lowest it goes is SP2. You will need to use software like nLite to add in Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2 and Service Pack 3, which will give you the best chance of a successful install.
m
l
a c 216 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 4:31:20 AM

ompblus said:
2) I have the install CD and it is said to first instal Windows before to run it and install all the mobo utilities.
3) your're right.
4) My XP CD is a SP0 asking to press <F6> with a floppy having the right SATA drivers ready.
5) I've been trying to install on an IDE drive and I've got the same issue: at somme point the install crashes with an 0x0000007E error on pci.sys file

Your problem withe the 0x0000007E error on pci.sys error is definitely related to your use of Windows XP with no service packs, you need at least Service Pack 1 to get past this error.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 12:37:52 PM

As I mentioned..."nLite allows you to configure an up to date OS install CD/ISO"
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 3:58:56 PM

Quote:
3) your're right.

1 - [:bilbat:9] ...what I'm looking for here is what drive(s) connected to what port(s), as well as what 'mode' you have the corresponding BIOS item for each controller... Will help me understand and advise...
2 - That's part of what confused me - that is exactly it, first, the OS, then the drivers...
3 - so now I 'get it' - you're having trouble with pre-loads
4 - if you'd like (and don't mind taking the time for a 600MB download), I could post an Xp/SP3 install disk for you - I use MediaFire, and my single file limit is, I think, 200M, so it will be in three 'pieces'...
5 - likely the Sp0 issue - but keep that disk - it's a collector's item ;) 

If you're running on the ICH (primary Intel disk controller - ports SATA2_0 through SATA2_5), the preinstall you want is here, at Intel...
m
l
July 26, 2010 8:03:13 PM

ko888 said:
Your problem withe the 0x0000007E error on pci.sys error is definitely related to your use of Windows XP with no service packs, you need at least Service Pack 1 to get past this error.

Ok guys, i'm gonna try to prepare a Nlite built... but it wasn't successful in the past... I'll take my XP (SP0), will add SP1, SP2 and SP3 + all the drivers I have on the Gigabyte CD... Does that make sense to you??
Also any suggestion on the BIOS config??
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 8:44:11 PM

Suggestion, you can try to make a more complex Install CD or simply use the XPSP3 + the Drivers...

Look at this way, you're appreciating the pains of building and learning something in the process.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 8:48:55 PM

If no luck w/nLite, I meant an Xp/Sp3 actual install disk, not the Sp3 ISO - the full Xp installer with Sp3 already in it; for BIOS settings, still need to know 'what's hooked up where'...

Here's an example of one of my BIOS setup files:

GA-EX58-UD5
Intel i7-920 x20mult 2.666GHz .80-1.375V
OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 1600Mhz Platinum (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3-12800: 7-7-7-24-1t 1.64v nominal
(first try will clock RAM at Intel rated 1066...)

If you haven't yet done it, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults"

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"CPU Clock Ratio" to "20x"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...

On the "Advanced CPU Features" sub-page:

"Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech" to "Enabled"
"CPU Cores Enabled" to "All"
"CPU Multi Threading" to "Enabled"
"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"C3/C6/C7 State Support" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled" - this allows use of Win7's fantastic VirtualXp feature...
"Bi-Directional PROCHOT" to "Enabled"

On the "Uncore & QPI Features" sub-page:

"QPI Link Speed" to "x36" (may 'bump' to x44 later...)
Uncore Frequency" to "20" (may 'bump' to x22 later...)
Isonchronous Frequency" to "Enabled"

On the "Advanced Clock Control" sub-page:

>>>>>Standard Clock Control<<<<<
"Base Clock (BCLK) Control" to "Enabled"
"BCLK Frequency (MHz)" to "133"
"PCI Express Frequency (MHz)" to "101" (not auto)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"
>>>>>Advanced Clock Control<<<<<
"CPU Clock Drive" to "800mV"
"PCI Express Clock Drive" to "900mV"
"CPU Clock Skew" to "0ps"
"IOH Clock Skew" to "0ps"

On the "Advanced DRAM Features" sub-page:

"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P)" to "Disabled"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "8x"
"DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" to "Manual"

>>>>>Channel A/B/C Timing Settings: (all the same)

>>>>>Channel A Standard Timing Control:
"CAS Latency Time" to "6"
"tRCD" to "6"
"tRP" to "6"
"tRAS" to "18"

Italicized values should be good in auto after "Load Optimized Defaults"; have put in some 'check me' values [I'm uncertain yet about some - please post back with your 'auto's], but to start, leave in auto...

>>>>>Channel A Advanced Timing Control:
"tRC" to "36"
"tRRD" to "5"
"tWTR" to "6?"
"tWR" to "12"
"tWTP" to "24?"
"tWL" to "7"
"tRFC" to "88"
"tRTP" to "8"
"tFAW" to "??"
"Command Rate (CMD)" to "1T"
>>>>>Channel A Misc Timing Control
"Round Trip" to "??"

On the "Advanced Voltage Control" sub-page:

>>>CPU
"Load Line Calibration" to "Disabled"
"CPU Vcore" to "Auto"
"QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v" to "1.374" May need to bump for stability
"CPU PLL 1.800v" to "Auto"

>>>MCH/ICH
"PCIE 1.500v" to "1.5"
"QPI PLL 1.100v" to "1.24"
"IOH Core 1.100v" to "1.24"
"ICH I/O 1.500v" to "1.5"
"ICH Core 1.1v" to "1.1"

>>>DRAM
"DRAM Voltage 1.500v" to "1.50"
"DRAM Termination 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

"USB Storage Function" to "Disabled"

And that should do it!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

Good luck!

Bill
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 9:12:48 PM

@bilbat - the helpful guide would be nice as a linked guide.
m
l
July 27, 2010 2:58:07 AM

jaquith said:
Suggestion, you can try to make a more complex Install CD or simply use the XPSP3 + the Drivers...

Look at this way, you're appreciating the pains of building and learning something in the process.

this is true indeed... I already built it from scratch buying all composants separatly... anyway...
Ok guys, I now have an XP-SP3 CD I did with NLite... it's going farther but still I get the same 0x0000007E error (without the pci.sys message now). What I also did is to plug an IDE drive instead of a SATA.
Now I have a few questions:
The drive is formatted NTFS with sectors of 1024... could that be an issue?
Also I've got a e-SATA connector on the front panel... is it important on which SATA connector I connect it or any is a good one?
m
l
a c 216 V Motherboard
July 27, 2010 3:35:09 AM

What external SATA device are you trying to connect to the eSATA ports that are on the JMicron JMB362 controller chip?

Your PATA IDE drive is connected to the GIGABYTE SATA2 controller. I don't know if you slipstreamed the driver for that controller into your Windows XP set CD.

Did the 0x0000007E error still happen with Windows XP SP3 without your PATA IDE drive attached and only a SATA HDD connected to any one of the SATA2_0 to SATA2_5 ports?
m
l
July 27, 2010 4:20:51 AM

bilbat said:
Quote:
3) your're right.

1 - [:bilbat:9] ...what I'm looking for here is what drive(s) connected to what port(s), as well as what 'mode' you have the corresponding BIOS item for each controller... Will help me understand and advise...
2 - That's part of what confused me - that is exactly it, first, the OS, then the drivers...
3 - so now I 'get it' - you're having trouble with pre-loads
4 - if you'd like (and don't mind taking the time for a 600MB download), I could post an Xp/SP3 install disk for you - I use MediaFire, and my single file limit is, I think, 200M, so it will be in three 'pieces'...
5 - likely the Sp0 issue - but keep that disk - it's a collector's item ;) 

If you're running on the ICH (primary Intel disk controller - ports SATA2_0 through SATA2_5), the preinstall you want is here, at Intel...

Bill

Mobo is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev1.0 - Proc is intel i7-930 2.80 Ghz - Ram is Corsair DDR3 240 pins model XMS3 @1600Mhz 4x2Go - 1 floppy - 1 DVD burner NEC on IDE port as slave - 1 HD Seagate Barracuda ATA 80Go on IDE Port as Master formatted as NTFS partitions of 1024... that's all for now...

I have 4x400Go IDE + 1x2To SATA disks + another DVD burner to add, but I wanna do it step by step.

Thanks for SO much info.. tried it...din't work... didn't even boot anymore :o )... so I cleared the CMOS... went into the BIOS and loaded the optimal parameters as you initially recommended (why didn't I started with that one actually... was too obvious maybe!!)... retarted and MIRACLE... the NLite XP-SP3 is installing... OK one problem solved!! thanks to all of you guys .

Now, on which SATA port should I plug the external e-sata plug I have on the Cooler Master case???
When i want to plug the other IED drives (I have IDE to SATA adaptors), should I use a certain order like SATA-0 first, SATA-1 second...

I'm also gonna need your help to set a RAID...a lot of fun in perspertive... :o )
m
l
a c 216 V Motherboard
July 27, 2010 5:04:17 AM

"Now, on which SATA port should I plug the external e-sata plug I have on the Cooler Master case???"

You only have a choice of one of the 2 x eSATA 3Gb/s connectors (eSATA/USB Combo) on the back panel. Look at an eSATA connector and a standard SATA connector they aren't the same. The electrical specifications, connectors, and cabling are different for each type.
m
l
July 27, 2010 5:22:20 AM

ko888 said:
"Now, on which SATA port should I plug the external e-sata plug I have on the Cooler Master case???"

You only have a choice of one of the 2 x eSATA 3Gb/s connectors (eSATA/USB Combo) on the back panel. Look at an eSATA connector and a standard SATA connector they aren't the same. The electrical specifications, connectors, and cabling are different for each type.

Let me re-phrase: the front plug on the Cooler Master case is an e-sata however the cable to be plugged inside is a regilar SATA one... so is there a preference to plug that cable on one of the 10 SATA plugs there are on the mobo?
m
l
a c 216 V Motherboard
July 27, 2010 6:28:57 AM

Yes, that SATA data cable should be able to be plugged into any available SATA port.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 27, 2010 1:05:32 PM

You guys must be on the West coast. "For myself" I did the following. The only possible "wrong answer" is if I placed a primary SATA 2 on anything except SATA2_0 or a primary SATA3 on anything except GSATA3_6.

SATA2_0 - SSD {Primary}
SATA2_1 - blank {possible future SSD ~ RAID 0 Primary}
SATA2_2 - HDD {pair 1 RAID 1}
SATA2_3 - HDD {pair 2 RAID 1}
SATA2_4 - DVD 1
SATA2_5 - blank {possible future DVD 2}
GSATA3_6 - blank {possible future SSD}
GSATA3_7 - blank {possible future SSD}
GSATA2_8 - eSATA {X-Dock/HDD dock}
GSATA2_9 - eSATA {top plug}

Where are you now??

P.S. Yeah, I know you "can" play musical ports and SATA 2 <=> SATA 3...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 27, 2010 1:20:44 PM

@ompblus - If I knew you had a Floppy I wouldn't have suggested nLite.

Also, when "I build" I don't hook-up EVERYTHING all at once, instead I hook-up a bare bones first - get running - then progressively ADD components. (e.g. 1. R/O bad components, 2. Drive letters ~ USB Media Readers, etc)
m
l
July 27, 2010 2:01:23 PM

jaquith said:
@ompblus - If I knew you had a Floppy I wouldn't have suggested nLite.

Also, when "I build" I don't hook-up EVERYTHING all at once, instead I hook-up a bare bones first - get running - then progressively ADD components. (e.g. 1. R/O bad components, 2. Drive letters ~ USB Media Readers, etc)

I'm in Chicago but I'm a late bird ;o)
Thanks for the SATA ports details.
I don like you, step by step.
right now finishing to install XP and the CD mobo.
I have an issue with the GOM... Gigabyte Online Manager: it asks to install another program first... SMTP... do you have any clue what that is?... couldn't find anything on the Gigabite website...
Thanks.
m
l
July 27, 2010 2:16:14 PM

jaquith said:
You guys must be on the West coast. "For myself" I did the following. The only possible "wrong answer" is if I placed a primary SATA 2 on anything except SATA2_0 or a primary SATA3 on anything except GSATA3_6.

SATA2_0 - SSD {Primary}
SATA2_4 - DVD 1

Where are you now??

Xp installed, mobo CD installed (having this issue with GOM asking for another pgm to be installed first but that's all)
In the process of downloading all updates for XP, Office and the mobo...
HD still plugged on the IDE port right now.
Ok so I believe I should then:
1) Plug my HD on the SATA2_0 as it is the primary with the OS
2) Plug the case external e-SATA connector onto the GSATA_9
Can you confirm??
Then I'll add my second DVD burner on the free IDE plug (both my DVD burners are IDE and I'd rather keep the SATA ports for HD)
Then I'll have 4 x 400Go + 1 x 2To HD to plug...
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 27, 2010 2:25:41 PM

I, flat-out, will not install any GB 'utility programs'! They have a ham-handed propensity to scribble components into ring zero, that are often tremendously difficult, if not just impossible to remove... Trust me - you really don't need to be able to read your board's temps and fan speeds from your office desk at work!

and:

I don like him either, step by step! [:bilbat:9] [:jaydeejohn:4] [:bilbat:9] [:jaydeejohn:4] [:bilbat:9] [:jaydeejohn:4]

m
l
July 27, 2010 3:34:51 PM

bilbat said:
I, flat-out, will not install any GB 'utility programs'! They have a ham-handed propensity to scribble components into ring zero, that are often tremendously difficult, if not just impossible to remove... Trust me - you really don't need to be able to read your board's temps and fan speeds from your office desk at work!

and:

I don like him either, step by step! [:bilbat:9] [:jaydeejohn:4] [:bilbat:9] [:jaydeejohn:4] [:bilbat:9] [:jaydeejohn:4]

happy I make you laugh!! sorry for my bad english sometimes... it is not my mothertong...
Ok won't install the GB utilities thought...
in the process of doing the Windows updates...
m
l
July 27, 2010 7:57:07 PM

jaquith said:

SATA2_0 - SSD {Primary}
SATA2_4 - DVD 1

Where are you now??

Ok, unplugged the installed HD from the IDE port and plugged ot onto the SATA2_0 using an IDE to SATA adaptor. Now I have an error message saying NO GRLDR.
Thanks for your help...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 27, 2010 9:15:09 PM

ompblus said:
Ok, unplugged the installed HD from the IDE port and plugged ot onto the SATA2_0 using an IDE to SATA adaptor. Now I have an error message saying NO GRLDR.
Thanks for your help...

My recomendation assumed you had a SATA HDD... You shouldn't simply UNPLUG and MOVE your PRIMARY after OS is installed, doing so corrupts your Boot Loader file...! I do not know anything about IDE -> SATA2 adapters ; a NEW SATA II drive is cheap at $60. Run an F8 Syetem Repair.

link - http://www.spicygreeniguana.com/system-user-interface/1...

soft & fuzzy version; sorry.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 28, 2010 1:47:02 AM

Woah! Looked at that link - now I know how Alice felt when she fell down the rabbit hole!

Your English is fine! I speak a bit of a few languages, and I'm lucky if I can ask where the bathroom is successfully! :heink: 

Am trying to learn Mandarin, and think I may be five years from learning where that bathroom is at [:bilbat:2]

m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 28, 2010 1:53:50 PM

Was I harsh? I was very surprised when "Floppy" was mentioned in several places and OP didn't mention they had one. (I'll tone it down).

I don't see the point of purchasing an IDE adapter for the UD3R when it already has one and any {translation IDE <-> SATA} I would easily assume is slower.

I link when there are better sources; I've heard of the error but never solved it.

The "key" from the link:
1. C FIXMBR:
2. FIXED BOAT C:
3. COPY x:\I386\NTLDR C:\
4. COPY x:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 28, 2010 2:45:47 PM

Nahhh - just the post reminded me: "All mimsy were the borogoves, and the mome raths outgrabe!"

"There everybody gives it mixes treffer"?
"I would want him completely weghaben"??
German, maybe? I'm still ticked at my grandparents - were German, and would never speak it around the grandchildren - like a lot of earlier immigrants, they felt 'the kids' should speak English. Could have learned German at the same time, while still young enough to 'soak it up' easily, 'for free'! To this day, all I know is to swear a blue streak - when grandpa would hit his thumb with the hammer, or burn himself welding, then we'd learn a few choice words! Oh, and I'll still sometimes say "make out the light", or "make shut the door", or an occasional guttural "achh!"

If you've moved a volume, the likely problem is that the contents of 'boot.ini' are no longer relevant - the 'pointers' get scrambled - not that it's corrupted, they're just 'ponting to the wrong place'! Might want to give this a read...
m
l
July 28, 2010 6:07:02 PM

ko888 said:
What external SATA device are you trying to connect to the eSATA ports that are on the JMicron JMB362 controller chip?

Your PATA IDE drive is connected to the GIGABYTE SATA2 controller. I don't know if you slipstreamed the driver for that controller into your Windows XP set CD.

Did the 0x0000007E error still happen with Windows XP SP3 without your PATA IDE drive attached and only a SATA HDD connected to any one of the SATA2_0 to SATA2_5 ports?

1) I want to connect the external e-SATA port which is on the Cooler Master front panel of the case on the mobo. The other end of the cable to be connected is a normal SATA connector. So on which SATA port should I connect it? Any one is a good one?
2) No more 0x0000007E error, I manager to install XP onto the IDE HD plugging it on the IDE cable. I want to plug it on the SATA2-0 port using an IDE to SATA adaptor but when I boot I get a NO GRLDR error message.
However I didn't try to install XP having the drive directly connected to a SATA port... I can try that...
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 28, 2010 8:02:26 PM

Still need a list eqivalent to the one that jaquith posted - what, exactly, is connected to what. Only issue with your front panel eSATA is that, for it to support 'hot-plug' (in other words, you plug in a drive, and it's 'discovered' and connected immediately - without having to do a reboot), you want to enable AHCI for that controller...

Also, help if you'd post manufacturer and part number of your IDE/SATA convertor - seem to be a number of ways of doing this, and some appear to have problems with Xp, in particular...
m
l
July 28, 2010 8:13:50 PM

bilbat said:
Still need a list eqivalent to the one that jaquith posted - what, exactly, is connected to what. Only issue with your front panel eSATA is that, for it to support 'hot-plug' (in other words, you plug in a drive, and it's 'discovered' and connected immediately - without having to do a reboot), you want to enable AHCI for that controller...

Also, help if you'd post manufacturer and part number of your IDE/SATA convertor - seem to be a number of ways of doing this, and some appear to have problems with Xp, in particular...

thanks for the AHCI info.
Seems the IDE/SATA adaptor I'm using short-circuits... gona have to try with another one before to go any farther...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 29, 2010 12:37:41 AM

Either SYBA or Vantec will cause problems ; don't use any "Converters"..

Connect to your IDE to IDE or spend $40 extra (~$60 total) ($20 converter ~ RMA it) and get a SATA II HDD/7200 RPM/32 MB+ Cache.

It "seems" silly w/{new comp with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3 motherboard and an Intel i7-930 processor}

:bounce:  BTW - "IF" you get a new HDD then Disconnect the old IDE completely then install a fresh copy of your XP or whatever OS you use.
m
l
August 8, 2010 3:01:30 PM

jaquith said:
Either SYBA or Vantec will cause problems ; don't use any "Converters"..

Connect to your IDE to IDE or spend $40 extra (~$60 total) ($20 converter ~ RMA it) and get a SATA II HDD/7200 RPM/32 MB+ Cache.

It "seems" silly w/{new comp with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3 motherboard and an Intel i7-930 processor}

:bounce:  BTW - "IF" you get a new HDD then Disconnect the old IDE completely then install a fresh copy of your XP or whatever OS you use.

I actually tried vantec and it works fine... almost all installed now.... "reorganizing" my HDs.
I have an issue with the RAM speed being @ 1066Mhz instead of 1600Mhz.
Can someone help me with the Bios setting to solve that one?
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 8, 2010 3:52:19 PM

I have most of what I need to give you a RAM cofiguration/mild OC parameter set/procedure:
Quote:
Mobo is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev1.0 - Proc is intel i7-930 2.80 Ghz - Ram is Corsair DDR3 240 pins model XMS3 @1600Mhz 4x2Go

One question remains - do you have aftermarket CPU cooling, or are you using the stock Intel?
m
l
!