• Homebuilt
  • Cooler Master
  • Cases
  • Fan
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2010 1:14:27 AM

I am putting a new ASUS P6X58D mobo into a CoolerMaster 932 case which has four fans. The mobo has the following headers:

(1) CPU_FAN, 4-pin (2) CHA_FAN1, 4-pin (3) CHA_FAN2, 3-pin (4) CHA_FAN3, 3-pin (5) CHA_PWR, 3-pin

I'm pretty sure where all these headers go, except CHA_PWR. What is that for, it looks like I could plug another fan into it. Is it an always on, non-speed controlled fan output?

Since I have 4 fans with what appears to be 3 case fan headers, where do I attach that 4th fan. Can I double up two fans onto the same header. Three of the fans are rated at .4 amps with the 4th .1 amps.

All the case fans have some kind of harness on them. The harness has 3 connectors, one is a 3-pin male (connects to fan), 2nd is a 4-pin male Molex, 3rd is a 4-pin female Molex. Is this for some type of daisy chainning?

Sorry if this is a very noob question, but this is my first time.

thanks,

More about : fan header question

January 2, 2010 2:50:17 PM

bump
m
l
January 3, 2010 5:19:03 AM

I would use all the headers except the one you think is constant power, then plug your largest fan straight into the PSU, hopefully it's the molex type. Of course save the CPU fan for the CPU.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 3, 2010 6:29:56 AM

I think the CHA_PWR plug is an optional plug for moniotiring the power supply fan. Certain power supplies (but not all) have an option where if you want, you can plug the fan into the motherboard and use software to monitor and adjust the RPMs. Not really a big deal, since just about every PSU I've heard of does just fine with the fans running on their own at default settings.

They started coming out with this a couple years ago on some ASUS motherboards, but I've always seen it called PWR_FAN. But it looks similar.

At any rate, I would not use this to power a case fan just because of the question marks. Either do what DZ said and plug three fans into the mobo and another directly into a molex plug ... or, I'd get a simple fan controller like this and power them and control them all separately from the motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I just referenced that particular one for cheapness and because it will work independently of any hardware and software configuration. But there are also other ones out there that will automatically control fan speed and have an LCD display for the RPMs and temperatures on the front.

http://www.directron.com/accntsentry2ts.html
http://www.directron.com/touch1000.html

But when you get into those, be warned that sometimes they'll work with your OS and hardware setup, and sometimes they won't. And in my experience, it's hard to check for compatibility issues beforehand, because most fan controllers tend to be as Chinese as you can get. I've found that unless you have a specific reason to be interested in specific temperatures, a simple knob-based controller is easier and looks just as cool to most people who will be looking at your system.
m
l
January 3, 2010 1:38:56 PM

Thanks guys,

capt_toca, you were right it was labled PWR_FAN. Although I don't know if it is to monitor the PSU because the 3-pins are ground, 12v, and rotation, which are the same as the other headers.

I guess to find out for sure I'll try and get in touch with ASUS.
m
l
!