Worth overclocking Phenom II X6 1055t.

Have a Phenom II X6 1055t@2.8GHz (stock), a MSI NF750-G55 motherboard, 8gb kingston hyperx ram @1600, down to 1333 due to motherboard limitations at stock. 500 watt raidmax psu that works, but i dont trust for a major overclock, XFX radeon hd 6770, zalman cnps 9900 max, thermaltake element g case.

I know most games dont utilize 4 cores and with 6 cores i really dont see a major reason to OC, beside the ram. would i see an increase in preformance in games and other with an OC? atm at stock i play BF3 on high at 1080p around 30-40 fps. which i know is mostly gpu, and is good fps for me. and i can get the cpu to 3.3GHz using the motherboard built in overclock switch and it was stable for gaming. should i do an OC? use the OC switch again? or do it in the bios? is the cpu clock speed increase gonna show some better preformance, and the ram increase?

Solution
thats because you need to manually over clock that processor .. and because its a locked sku you need to over clock it via the ram .. if you have ram thats rated at 1600 mhz it should be no issue to get a reasonable over clock on that processor .. i have a 1090t my self.. while i have the unlocked multiplier there are alternative methods to making it work... typically its easier to drop the ram down to like 1066 and then adjust the clock multiplier which is typically 200 to some thing like 230 or 235 you can reasonably get around 3.6 to 3.8 with that processor ... and while you think it wont make much difference trust me it dose and bf3 will use 6 cores when playing multiplayer mode..

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
In gaming, from what I've read in the past, I believe you would see a roughly 5-10 FPS increase in CPU limited games from a CPU OC of that amount. Once you get past a certain point, like 3.7 GHz or so, you start to see diminishing returns. A moderate OC like you're talking about could be very helpful in BF3 multiplayer, since that aspect of the game needs a little more CPU muscle. A RAM OC above 1600 probably won't be as helpful, IMO, but I don't have concrete numbers to back up that statement at the moment. Also, I would suggest managing your overclock in the BIOS, unless you don't want to mess with it too much and, if that's the case, then I think using the OC switch would be fine. Personally I'm a fan of AMD Overdrive, but I know most people on this forum don't like that sort of thing lol.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
thats because you need to manually over clock that processor .. and because its a locked sku you need to over clock it via the ram .. if you have ram thats rated at 1600 mhz it should be no issue to get a reasonable over clock on that processor .. i have a 1090t my self.. while i have the unlocked multiplier there are alternative methods to making it work... typically its easier to drop the ram down to like 1066 and then adjust the clock multiplier which is typically 200 to some thing like 230 or 235 you can reasonably get around 3.6 to 3.8 with that processor ... and while you think it wont make much difference trust me it dose and bf3 will use 6 cores when playing multiplayer mode..

Solution

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
however you will also have to increase the voltage to the processor and possibly the ram depending on how high you set your frequency .. basically this approach you can take say 1066 ram and change the mhz value to what ever you set the clock value to.. its not that difficult there are how too guides in the forums if your interested.. in learning the over clocking process

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

yeah, i kinda forgot that the 1055 isn't unlocked. i haven't had to mess with the FSB much since my CPU has an unlocked multiplier. I plan to experiment with it more when i get my athlon ii x2 rig going.

very worth OC 1055T ... like this my RIG
testIBT4ghzx6.jpg

i read the reviews of my motherboard and some guy bought 15 for a business and 3 started on fire, and 5 were glowing red hot lol. but since i bought the motherboard on craigslist and is still going since i got it, im pretty sure its unlikely to start on fire.

and H/W monitor shows max pwr usage from the processor is around 134watts and max was during bf3 gameplay.

for now ill use the OC switch until i get a new motherboard, prob a sabertooth, and a new psu.

madbiker

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
make sure you keep an eye on your NorthBridge and HT speeds, when overclocking @ the HTT (memory or Front Side Bus) you raise the northbridge and Hyper Transport I think you wanna keep the Hypertransport as close to 2000MHz as you can... while I'd think you can run the NB upwards around 2.5GHz

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
if your having trouble getting the ram to post at speed settings loosen the timings a bit and you will be able to get a higher clock .. and you guys running that the at 1.52 volts are nuts.. thats pretty darn high voltage i guess I am pretty conservative though .. I nuked one 1090t that way..

magikherbs

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Hio :)

I would go for the best cpu oc possible on stock volts b/c any OC with no temp gain ROCKS. (..and.. I'm a low risk kind of geek. :p ) That mobo should easily do 13 - 14x 250mhz on 1.3v -1.4v.

I doubt you'll see much, if any, performance loss by running the NB/HT and memory at stock. If you set the FSB to 250mhz, the NB, HT and memory speeds will not show odd numbers when you lower the respective multi's.

What are your temps like ?

3Dmark06 stock 6870.jpg

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
yea i know right it depends on how i overclock it .. notice that the multiplier is set to 20x usually ill drop that down to like 14x or 15 x and then alter the cpu multiplier .. and in this case i went with 205 vs 250 / 260 ...

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
yea but that is stable .. with higher clock mulitplier .. vs fsb 4.2 i dont have adiquate cooling in my system to run tests with .. so i dont even try .. 4.1 is pushing it as well considering i have a corsair h50 im planning on getting an h100 soon though but then again ive been looking at swift tech water block loops and stuff lately .. i just dont want to dump a lot of money just for this build im looking at upgrading either to 3930k or waiting till ivy bridge e and getting the next 6 core that comes out.. but for my uses my 1090t is enough for me..

magikherbs

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010

I would be careful if that is a budget psu and mobo. The psu should be at least bronze rated and the mobo should have a 6+2, or better, power phase.

How warm do the mobo's VRMs and exhaust from the psu get when stressing/gaming ?

the motherboard isnt budget, it may be from 2009, and has a small rep for starting on fire, but has sli, and technically is called a gaming motherboard, so beside the fire, its the psu that i gets me. psu exhaust is warm, but not hot, will get back with VRM temps.

magikherbs

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010

The board's rep and age are all the more reason to not push things too hard. The VRMs should barely feel warm to the touch.

The psu is probably dusty or not getting enough air flow.