Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Kick @$$ PC: ~$1250 remaining. Questions about RAM, Vid Card, MB.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2010 3:22:23 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Very soon (within a month)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Every day desktop use - usually on 24/7, running lots of background apps (ftp, DVR, usually 10+ tasks/windows open at a time), some gaming, some video encoding

PARTS NOT REQUIRED / parts purchased already: Intel i860, 4 x 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda for Mass Storage (not OS drive), Rosewill 1000 W 80+ Bronze Certified power supply, Arctic Silver 5 High Density Polysynthetic Silver Compound, Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: whatever is cheapest and reputable, so lets say newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES / Planned:
--Case: Something that will help conceal noise but has good air flow for when needed. Likely Antec P193.
--OS Drive: Any SSD - Likely Intel's G2 80 or 160 GB. (needs to be at minimum 80 GB) I plan to fill it at start with 60-70 GB so not sure if I should shell out the extra cash for the 160 GB size or just wait a few months and then purchase a second 80 GB once the prices come down.
--RAM: So I have two questions here. The first is are 4 sticks of ram worse than 2 sticks of ram? Does 2 or 4 sticks affect overclocking? The second question seem illogical, but can too much ram slow down your system? Will be running Win 7 64 bit if that makes a difference in the answer.
--Motherboard: ASUS P755D Deluxe or higher (possibly one of the the Maximus III). The things I want in a MB is lots of SATA connections and has RAID 10 and RAID 5. Also want it to have automatic power/fan management features and lots of fan connections on the MB so it can lower fan speeds when not necessary (i've also considered purchasing a bay fan management accessory so recommendations regarding that is welcome as well.
--Graphics Card: I currently have a 6800 GeForce and noticed that while playing games (either fancy ones or even simple flash games in a browser) if I try to play media on my second screen at the same time, it causes a slow down. What would you advise, 2 graphic cards with SLI or just one? If I need to get two graphic cards, I'd probably get 2 9800 GTs. IF i only need one, I might spring for the Radeon HD 5770. It's about the same cost either option - although I could have up to 4 monitors with dual vid cards (i think).
--CPU Cooler: I need something low profile because the case I'm looking at has a maximum 140 mm heatsink height. I'm looking at the zalman 8700 which has the fan pointing straight up. Also, can anybody tell me the difference between this one and this one (other than price)?

OVERCLOCKING: Some / First Time
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Never done before, but not opposed to it if it offers enough benifit. See "Graphics Card" comments above.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Dual screens: 1280x1024 and 1680x1050 (but may upgrade the first one to a new monitor with 1920x1080)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: As mentioned before, everyday desktop PC on 24/7 and would like it to be as quiet as possible when idle. Please see questions above about RAM, Vid Card, and Motherboard. Let me know if I've forgotten any components you can think of.

Thanks in advance for the comments and recommendations. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

More about : kick 1250 remaining questions ram vid card

January 1, 2010 5:14:18 AM

this is my planned build :

processor -core i5 750 2.66 ghz

motherboard -gigabyte ga p55m ud2

ram -2x 2 gb ddr3

gpu -ati hd 5850

cabinet -cooler master cm 690 or cooler master gladiator 600

smps -corsair tx 650

hdd -segate 1tb (other brands are not available in india at least not where i live!!)

logitech keyboard mouse combo

optical drive -sony dvd writer

lcd -20 inch either lg or samsung

this is my built and is a beast !!!
January 2, 2010 1:29:28 PM

RAM - It's the specs that make the part faster or slower, compared to another part. i.e. CL7 VS CL8. Yep, fewer sticks are easier to overclock. I'm sure others will disagree. It's the mobo manfacturers that make certain ram slots more stable than others. Go figure. If you don't know which slots are best, get 2 sticks of ram. This info isn't on their sites, but can be found in overclocking forums. Yes, a lot of digging around. I used to read a 100-page thread on a specific mobo I was planning to buy. 64bit OS will only recognize more than 4GB of memory.

GPU - Unless I know the genres of games or the games you play, I can't recommend a gpu. It's shooting in the dark.

HSF - Nope, you don't need a low profile HSF. Any standard HSF for LGA 1156 will work. See these comments about Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme & Noctua at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=1...
Related resources
January 3, 2010 3:06:50 PM

Thanks for your reply, but a few questions.

p55ibexpeak said:
64bit OS will only recognize more than 4GB of memory.

Umm... do you mean only a 64 bit OS will recognize more than 4 GB of memory? It doesn't make sense that a 64 bit OS would not recognize less than 4 GB of memory.

p55ibexpeak said:
GPU - Unless I know the genres of games or the games you play, I can't recommend a gpu. It's shooting in the dark.
A sample of few of the games on my computer: NEverwinter Nights 2, WoW, Civilization 4, HalfLife 2.

p55ibexpeak said:
HSF - Nope, you don't need a low profile HSF. Any standard HSF for LGA 1156 will work. See these comments about Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme & Noctua at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=1...

I'm a bit confused... the links there specifically mention the point I brought up of a 140 mm or less HSF is required. Most of the HSF are greater than this height so although an ultra low profile one may not be required, I can't really find any other ones that are good but will fit easily - hence my question. If you know of a good HSF that falls under the 140mm height restriction, please let me know. That low profile one i posted is the only one I could find.

Thanks for the reply - please keep them coming.
January 4, 2010 12:57:03 PM

My bad wording. You're correct 64bit os can use more than 4gb of ram.

Get 1 HD 5770 which is plenty for the games you play. The games have very low recommended system requirements by today's standard.

Why you insist on 140mm or less for HSF height is beyond me. The case's side fan is OUTSIDE the case. So you can fit ANY standard LGA 1156 fan in the case. Also, since the case has a huge side fan, you don't need another huge cpu fan. They may impede air flow depending on how you mount the cpu fan. The stock Intel fan would work best in this case cuz the side fan is pulling air in and the cpu fan is pulling air from the side, when the case sits on its feet.

To top that off, I ALREADY post a link that counters your HSF height worry.