Sign in with
Your question

500GB hard drive, or is it?

Last response: in Storage
December 16, 2011 6:44:03 PM

About 2 months ago I bought a 500GB Western Digital hard drive to put in my newly built computer. Earlier on today I got a rather worrying message saying I was low on space. I went to the hard drive properties and saw this:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/hddjq.png/
Is there a way to fix this without having to return my hard drive, do not want to have to re-download 100GB of stuff.
Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : 500gb hard drive

a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 6:50:46 PM

This is NOT a 500G drive then unless it has partitions on it. You can try checking in bios to see what it says the drive is. You could also look on the sticker on the drive to see what it says and check the part number to see what the drive maker says it is for size.
m
l
December 16, 2011 6:56:26 PM

Well the sticker on the drive says 500gb, but ill check the bios too
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 6:59:55 PM

maybe you've only got a 104G partition on a 500G drive, what does disk management say?
m
l
December 16, 2011 7:22:35 PM

I don't really understand partitioning. Care to help explain? :p 
m
l
a c 302 G Storage
December 16, 2011 7:45:56 PM

Oh, bloody. I just lost the whole thing that I had typed.

I'll explain partitioning in exchange for a picture from Disk Management. Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management, and select Disk Management on the left.

A brand-new hard drive is a big bucket of unusable storage. To make the storage show up as one or more disk letters, you have to create one or more "partitions." A partition is a chunk of that bucket of storage that is now available for use. Well, not quite.

After you create a partition, you have to format it. This lays down the outline of the "file system," which contains the folders and file names, and keeps track of where the file data is stored.

Most drives that you have seen will have one partition with all the space on the drive in it, so the drive letter shows the same size as the drive. The previous poster suggests that this drive may have more than one partition, or have one small partition and leftover unpartitioned space.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 7:49:19 PM

the F drive you see in windows does NOT represent your 500G physical drive. your F drive is a logical drive defined by a partition on the physical drive. you can have multiple partitions on a physical drive and you can also have unallocated space on a physical drive, which is what i suspect you have: a 100G logical drive and 400G of unallocated space on a 500G physical drive.

windows disk management will say you have a 100G partition (drive F), but what does it say about the physical drive it's on? is there 400G of unused space beside the 100G partition?

right click "computer", select "manage", in left pane select "storage" and "disk management".
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 8:18:05 PM

you're sure you've got a 500GB drive, right? cause disk management says you've got a 1.14TB drive, and that doesn't sound right, not just because it's not what you think you have but also because i've never heard of a drive available in that particular capacity.

and what the hell is going on in there? you've got 6 partitions across 2 drives! you didn't do this, did you?
m
l
December 16, 2011 8:21:48 PM

Hmm well it says on the receipt that its 500GB, and on the hard drive sticker. Do you reckon its faulty or I've been given a larger hard drive than I payed for.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 8:28:33 PM

i suspect the drive is bad, but i'm not entirely sure, i suppose it could also be a software problem of some sort.
m
l
December 16, 2011 8:29:49 PM

What would you suggest I do? Contact the company I bought it from or look for more answers?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 8:31:30 PM

yeah, do that. they'll likely get you to download and run a diagnostic utility.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2011 9:39:34 PM

maybe the drive is OK and it's a software issue, like a bug or virus creating impossible partitions.
can you plug the drive into a different computer?
m
l
December 16, 2011 9:47:46 PM

I deleted the 800GB section and the 200GB section. I am currently formatting the rest of my hard drive and hopefully it should work. Thanks very much for your help =D
m
l
!