Upgrading video card in sony vaio desktop

dk23761

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
i have a sony vaio rs620g & need to upgrade the graphics card as it does not support some new pvc games my son wants to run on the system . (eg Spore - minimum requirements= A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0 )

Any advice to give some ideas which card/manufacturer to look at would be great!

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Because your computer is older it requires an AGP type graphics card. Most cards today are the newer PCI2x16 kind--so be careful when purchasing.

Personally I would recommend the ATI 4650 for about $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125281
It's more powerful than you need-but might help your aging computer continue to be useful a little longer.

If you wanted to spend a little less the ATI radeon 3650 or 3450 would be cheaper--and still give you enough of a performance boost for some moderate gaming. (higher numbers are typically better among ATI products)

The manufacturer shouldn't make a great deal of difference--especially since you just want a low end card for an older computer.

sfcmgibbs

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Any advice on upgrading a Vaio RC110g video card? It's been running the Radeon X300 and has actually hung in there for my video editing needs. The card is going bad on me and instead of just replacing it I thought about upgrading.

Just don't have a clue about where to start, especially since it is several years old. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Processor: Intel Pentium D 3 GHz
Chipset: Intel 945P
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Video Output Interface: PCI Express
Graphic Processor: ATI RADEON X300