After Upgrading Hardware, 3D Games stop responding or PC Restarts

have a old emachine I bought at walmart 4 years ago, and Its still kicking.(Not for to much longer after I start kicking it). Up untill 1 week ago, I had 128 MB ATI card x550 in the pci slot. It had fried, so I used the on board graphics. I just bought 2 Gigs of Ram, BFG 550W PSU, 1 Gig GDDR3 MSI R4550 (ATI Radeon 4550 HD). I "had" windows 7 installed when I bought these parts. After Upgrading, Almost as soon as a video game loads, My PC restarts. I get from as little as 2 seconds to 30 seconds of 3d acceleration. My Pc has restarted a few times while installing a large file (I was out of the room So I did not see it restart), and Restarted while installing wow and watching youtube.

I formatted and reinstalled winXP hoping that would fix something..It didnt. I get restarts and stopped responding errors. More errors than restarts. This video card requires 350w power supply. I have tested this both 350w and 550w PSUs.

I have the most up-to-date drivers for my card and almost everything Device Doctor Portable said I needed updates on. My Specs are

AMD Semperon 3100 (1.8ghz)

Mobo: FIC K8MC51G (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

System Memory 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM) DIMM1: Wintec 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz) (same with slot 2, total of 2 GIG of DDR ram)

Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 4550 (1024 MB)

If you need anymore specs just let me know. All Drivers are up-to-date, Inside tower is clean, Heatsink and fans. Fans are running. My video card has a passive heatsink rather than a fan, So i hope it is working as intended. Any help will be appreciated
2 answers Last reply
More about after upgrading hardware games stop responding restarts
  1. well something like that happened to me I have an ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 on my pc but I did nothing weird to my computer and it became unstable it restart a lot of times and don`t stop until I turn it off, so I reinstalled windows XP on my pc and it work very well until I installed the ati driver it became unstable again so now I`m here working in my pc without a driver so I can`t play my favorite online game because that. I hope comebody can help :cry:
  2. When you installed the GPU drivers, did you also install ".NET" from the CD? If you didn't, try it next and check the windows update website for updates.

This is the link to .NET 2.0
    This is the link to download .NET 3.5
    This is a link to download .NET 3.5 sp1
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics